Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Nov 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Excema as an older woman - never had it before?

hi all,

Hope we are all safe and well!

Just wondering if anyone has suffered with excema in older age. I am turning 40 next year and i have never had excema before or any skin issues. However, since i returned from rhodes in september i have had progressively bad dry patches on my skin. I spoke with my Dr and sent photos yesterday and she has diagnosed excema.

I started on my face now it's on my face, top of my shoulders and a little patch on my back.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I have read it can be to do with the menopause?

Also any tips on good creams to use - DR has prescribed me some steroid and other ointment that i need to pick up today. (i am sure i heard about a cream i think it was called childrens farm cream that was good?)

I have also not changed washing powder or deodrants etc.

Thank you
Stacey
stace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I first ever had it in my mid 30's when going through a divorce, then again when I lost my parents, so definitely stress related for me.

Please be careful with creams, some I find exacerbates it so I'd be really wary of recommending what worked for me, stick with what's been prescribed and if it feels like it's not helping let your Dr know and remove it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Thank you - ah ok so it could be stress related!

Has your's gone now or eased?

It's strange as i always thought you got excema in your creases but it isn't in any of mine?
stace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stace View Post
Thank you - ah ok so it could be stress related!

Has your's gone now or eased?

It's strange as i always thought you got excema in your creases but it isn't in any of mine?
I've literally only ever had it those 3 times in my life and it was quite a way after I 'thought' I was past the stressful time, in all cases it was a few months afterwards. Mine was around my eyes and over my hands / fingers.

Each time it's lasted a few weeks then cleared up, absolutely no sign of it at any other time in my life or any ongoing issues.

Stress is a terrible thing, look after yourself. x

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Remember to apply steroid/moisturiser correctly.

Moisturiser/emollient to damp warm skin applied in a downward direction following your hair pattern.Allow to soak in for 15-30 mins( skin should be moist/tacky not slippy). Then apply steroid cream ( don't rub in just smooth).
This correct order ensures the steroid is only applied to where it's needed & not spread around.
You may need to try several moisturisers/emollients to find the "one for you". Diprobase/E45 are horrid for me. Zerobase is great. Antihistamine tabs to reduce the itch. Wear cotton gloves to bed to reduce itching. If you must itch ... rub gently don't scratch & say goodbye to long manicures. I'm itchier when cold my sister is worse when warm. Eczema isn't something you "grow out of" I grew into it.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

I recommend Cetraben, it clears it up very quickly 😉
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had some last year for the first time in my life and it was definitely stress related. Only in one small area and I used steroid cream from the GP but it kept coming back. It went completely after about 6 months and hasn’t returned
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I've literally only ever had it those 3 times in my life and it was quite a way after I 'thought' I was past the stressful time, in all cases it was a few months afterwards. Mine was around my eyes and over my hands / fingers.

Each time it's lasted a few weeks then cleared up, absolutely no sign of it at any other time in my life or any ongoing issues.

Stress is a terrible thing, look after yourself. x
Thank you - I am praying it does go away!

I don't feel stressed but maybe underlying re covid and self employment, but I thought i was ok?

Glad yours has gone away - hoping mine will only be for a few weeks - least I've no where to go

stacey
Old 5 Nov 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Originally Posted by storm View Post
Remember to apply steroid/moisturiser correctly.

Moisturiser/emollient to damp warm skin applied in a downward direction following your hair pattern.Allow to soak in for 15-30 mins( skin should be moist/tacky not slippy). Then apply steroid cream ( don't rub in just smooth).
This correct order ensures the steroid is only applied to where it's needed & not spread around.
You may need to try several moisturisers/emollients to find the "one for you". Diprobase/E45 are horrid for me. Zerobase is great. Antihistamine tabs to reduce the itch. Wear cotton gloves to bed to reduce itching. If you must itch ... rub gently don't scratch & say goodbye to long manicures. I'm itchier when cold my sister is worse when warm. Eczema isn't something you "grow out of" I grew into it.

thanks for the tips - i would have had no idea Just taken a antihistimine, seems itchier when i wake up - then seems to not be as bad.

Stace
Old 5 Nov 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
I recommend Cetraben, it clears it up very quickly 😉
This is what I used yesterday and this morning before I pick up my prescription - seems to be easing it

thanks
Stacey