Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 18 Jun 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
Read an article on sky news earlier who quoted a 'source' that there will be no real foreign travel until August at least now. - Sad times
I've read that in quite a few places gavvy One gave the date as August 26th (Maybe they believe Boris will announce new traffic light countries on that day )
But I'm still forcing myself to think positive as IMO none of them name the 'source' so they're just plucking stuff out of the clouds)

Edited at 11:42 AM.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
we were due August 10th and like you I expect to get cancelled we have already moved everything but the flight.SSR reservation we have already cancelled
Are you going to put the flight back if you can? We can fly out on the 22nd at the latest so we have a bit of wriggle room if we need.
Old 18 Jun 21, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

I'm wondering how many of you would risk points going into holding?

If we go past the 30 days out, it will give us more time for borders to open (booked for August). If I cancel before and get the points put into next year, I would need to find alternative accommodation last minute should the flight go ahead.

If my points go into holding i'd need to rent them out before Nov 31st. Would that be doable?

Of course, MS might tell me I can't unborrow the points anyway, so would have to rent them out regardless
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I'm going off Dr Fauci's latest statement and writing of DVC at least for the summer.
If by some miracle flights resume earlier I'll book an AP rate at WDW or The Swan or try Vegas maybe.

HOLIDAYS to the US are unlikely to return before September, the country's medical advisor and Covid expert has warned.

Dr Antony Fauci said that while travel between the UK and US could restart soon, he couldn't predict that this would be soon.

Families hoping to head to Disney World this summer, after being unable to do so last year, are likely to face disappointment.

When asked if this could be expected by September, he told ITV news that was a "reasonably good prediction".

However, he added: "You really can't tell because things happen, variants occur, things happen with regards to infection."

Dr Fauci also said that the UK would be in a "very favourable" position by the end of the summer following the delay of the June 21 Freedom Day.

He said: "I think once [the UK] get more and more people vaccinated and get the people who've gotten a single dose to make sure they get their second dose, I think the UK is going to be in a very favourable position by the time we get to the end of the summer."
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 21, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Are you going to put the flight back if you can? We can fly out on the 22nd at the latest so we have a bit of wriggle room if we need.
no we've made the decision to move to August 2022. Sad but I think for us the right thing to do. Although the mask requirement is almost gone there is definitely more chance of normality as we know it in 2022 together with the fact we would catch the 50th celebrations as well.

hoping for a return of all shows (definitely fantasmic) character greets, restaurants open and fastpass by then (I would miss my planning if not)

given this years cancellation we would also then have enough points without going into the year after to do the full 3 weeks or more on site easily.

So this year concentrating on updating the house and looking forward to booking for next year. hanging on with our August 10th flights to see if they get cancelled before we cancel them and its looking pretty good for it so far I'm sorry to say
Old 19 Jun 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
I'm wondering how many of you would risk points going into holding?

If my points go into holding i'd need to rent them out before Nov 31st. Would that be doable?

Of course, MS might tell me I can't unborrow the points anyway, so would have to rent them out regardless
I’m currently intending to risk going into holding, we travel 12 Aug. But if the travel situation and flights continue to get cancelled at the pace they appear to be this morning, looking at other threads, then that might not be a problem by our 31 day point… or my nerve might just give

In Feb, I rented points which were due to expire end of Feb. I set these all up at end of Jan, so theoretically holding wouldn’t be a problem…but in reality, there’s nothing available to book in DVC in Oct/Nov currently, or much through to Feb. So my best bet would be to rent out our existing reservations, which might work as they are 5,4 and 5 nights (rather than a 1x14).
More likely I’ll be relying on MS goodwill to help bend the rules.

It’s hard making decisions in an absence of firm information (and exacerbated by my continued hope when it’s not looking good!)

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List