Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mandij39 View Post
Don't cancel! I've had 2 holidays cancelled last year due to covid and both were with BA, they are incredibly good at contacting you when deposit was due. If you cancel it you could lose your deposit. If they haven't contacted you by the 9th June, then call them up and explain your balance is due and they'll probably tell you it's being cancelled and offer you a refund.
You don't lose your deposit if you cancel 3 weeks plus 1 day before, it's converted to a voucher with BAs new covid booking terms that they're giving to everyone.

The routing they're travelling is open and being flown daily, for essential travel, it's not likely to be cancelled.
Old 6 Jun 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Unfortunately (seems stramge to say that about a US trip) New York is an open port of entry and with BA operating then at this stage the flight is more than likely going.

If you're coming back the same way you're going out then your flight back will more than likely go too.

You've a very difficult decision to make but you should make it no later than 3 weeks + 1 day to minimise your payout to BA.

If you're happy to go, then go - I doubt you'll be questioned on how essential the trip is here, but you might be quizzed by US immigration which is another story.

Personally I would take the voucher now, your insurance won't cover you as despite being an amber country the foreign office advise against non essential travel to the US so you're not getting any cover from them on this... plus covid tests to get into the US and then again coming back, that all adds up - that's money towards Easter 2022

I agree that the OP should contact BA before the 3 weeks is up and discuss their options - at least they know that a voucher would be offered and hopefully a refund.

I do disagree, however, about not being questioned about the need for travel (under present circumstances) they probably wouldn't get that far. At the beginning of the pandemic anyone who was trying to put their APIS information into their booking were having their ESTA's cancelled which would cause all sorts of problems in the future - no ESTA no travel. Unless you can prove that you hold an NIE (National Interest Exemption) Certificate then airlines won't let you on board unless you are a US resident or qualify under specific circumstances.

Then as davieguy pointed out there is the insurance problem - let us hope that we hear something either during or after the G7. Let's have the forlorn hope that President Biden is impressed with meeting the Queen (she could have a quiet word if she's reading this on the DIBB).

OP if you get the chance please let us know how you get on and good luck.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

This would be quite an easy one for me, I find the decisions about say September / October a bit harder to call.

So I would not expect to be travelling to the US by the end of the month, whereas there is a chance the flight will go. So the choice is between a voucher to the value of my deposit or a voucher to the value of the entire holiday - I would want the smallest voucher and keep my cash.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Copper View Post
Thanks all for your replies I contacted BA through the chat window and they weren't particularly helpful tbh. Said the flight could be cancelled at the last minute, payment date can't be moved as its normally 7 weeks before departure and now its only 3.
If we pay and its on amber we would only get 40% refund as technically we could still go. If we pay and its on red or not open to uk visitors still then we would get a refund.
If we just cancel now its our £500 voucher we get but just tried Easter 2022 and its more than double the price.
I would speak to BA again once you hit the 3 week window; you may get a different answer from a different agent; I have many times in the past.
I would argue their statement that you could still go; no matter if the US is green, amber or red, until Joe opens his border to U.K. residents, you cannot go.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
I would speak to BA again once you hit the 3 week window; you may get a different answer from a different agent; I have many times in the past.
I would argue their statement that you could still go; no matter if the US is green, amber or red, until Joe opens his border to U.K. residents, you cannot go.
I can’t see how BA can justify this stance whilst borders are closed to U.K. residents .
I’d call again in office hours tomorrow. More senior agents tend to work Monday to Friday.

Edited at 06:56 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Copper
Getting Excited

Update but not really...
We paid the balance in the hopes it would go green at the update, we then had the ORL-LHR flight cancelled and assumed that was it all over and refund would be coming only to be offered the MIAMI-LHR flight home instead so we accepted that.
We waited patiently for today and the update and sadly its not to be no mention of USA. So sad to know all of our flights are going ahead just that we cannot get on them!
Copper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List