Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jun 21, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Simply astonishing flight prices Orlando.

It is no secret that I research flights extensively and regularly, looking far into the future as I establish trends. I probably spend in excess of 20 hours a week as I approach a flight booking time, wanting to save every penny that I can. I intend hitting 49 States eventually, hence the research and also the fact that I usually have an ‘in and an out’ with a ribbon route between, often involving trains planes and invariably.. automobiles.

This morning, I did a dip sample on London- MCO for next Easter School Hols, direct and was absolutely astonished by what I found, bearing in mind that we are now around 300 days from the return leg. Do people really and honestly pay this? For a family of four and luggage, they are 7-8k down before accommodation, tickets, car hire, eats , pressies etc are even considered.

Above is the current best price! Virgin (doubtless trying to devalue all of those credit notes) are at £2076!

The below are the same dates but posted for comparison purposes. They are pretty much where I would expect them to be at 1.40 to the pound…..

Tampa! Where BA are the only direct that I know of..

I know that I am avowed multi centre, multi state advocate and I know very well that many Dibbers are equally avid with their enthusiasm for the Rodent, however…
Surely more now than ever before with such a premium on direct Orlando flights.. over £1000pp, people must be looking as a family of four at perhaps 3 days in any one of the above (take your pick), then an internal into Orlando for the remainder. Even if you stretched your vacation to 17 and still got the 14 in Orlando, then you would save thousands after all other expenses, hotels etc were met?

An internal from pretty much any major airport in the states and into Orlando will not cost too much north of £100 including baggage.For example,I need flights from Buffalo into Orlando on 12 April, but am holding off because I believe that £90 plus £22 baggage pp is rather high!

Just a thought… and maybe a spur towards some lateral thinking, when planning a vacation.

Edited at 09:25 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WiltshireBen
Gone all Goofy

If the same sort of prices are there for the summer when we're going I'll be a very very happy bunny!
WiltshireBen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WiltshireBen View Post
If the same sort of prices are there for the summer when we're going I'll be a very very happy bunny!
That is San Francisco, I think we'll need to wait for CFB to finish editing the post before we know whether it's good or bad astonishing!
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Could not agree more!

We are going next Easter and I have just booked:

Edi > LHR > JFK return flights
3 nights in Hilton midtown
Car hire for 15 nights in Orlando

For 4 adults and 3 kids, £4.9k

The above flying into Orlando without the hotel was almost £8k!

Insane I can add you a city break to this and still save £!
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The dates for the very first screen shot are peak Easter holidays and the VS and BA direct flights to MCO or TPA are virtually sold out for 9th to 23rd April and Miami is very busy too so the few fares available are in the highest fare buckets.

Edited at 01:08 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Indirect is not much cheaper 😯
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Mco prices have been excessively high for a long time though, that’s why for longer trips we favour Miami.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Easter hols Sat-Sat are expensive - always.

2016 for us - Good Friday out -Sat home 2 weeks over Easter - flights (BA) were £815 each (Sat-Sat were £2-300 more expensive). We were told (on here) not to be ridiculous, we could get them cheaper than that... however, for those dates, and direct flights, we could not.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

It will be interesting to see what the market will bear. We've always gone wherever the best price is so usually via LHR, DUB or JFK and this led us to switch our travel style to multi destination holidays in the US. However, people have always paid a lot of money for Orlando direct flights and I suspect they will continue to. BA released a tentative S22 schedule and I saw 1 MCO flight a day out of LHR. If supply is down the fares could be huge in school holidays. Time will tell if they can fill planes with £1,000 economy fares and I'd nearly say they could in the short term anyway.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lloydie
I want to go now!

They were cheap on the day they became available for the Easter hols , BA direct LHR to MCO - £2700 for my family of four, but by the time i booked them in the evening they were £3850... and i thought that was bad !
lloydie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List