Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 1 Nov 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

FP+ Update) 1st Timers, 14 Nights, Jan 20 & Dopey Challenge

** Updated with Fastpass+ Reservations!**

* I am aware there are fastpasses on the days we plan to go elsewhere, if we still plan on doing that I will of course cancel the reservations so someone else can use them! *

Hi All,

Husband and I will be spending 2 weeks at WDW starting on 3rd Jan 20. We will be staying at Port Orleans Riverside, on the Quick Service Dining Plan .. AND .. we will both be taking part in the Dopey Challenge!

To top it all off we are Disney first timers! This trip has been a long time in the making and I feel like ive spent the last 12 months of my life watching countless youtube videos of Disney Trips and Planning!

Ive put together an Itinerary for the 2 weeks if you guys fancied having a look! Were both able bodied so no issues getting around parks or walking long distances and more interested in rides than meeting characters etc (would probably only slip this in if there was no queues and we had the time.) To than end we have done more half days in parks than full. I have left out meal plans (other than ADRs) as I am happy that we will find places during the day and I dont want to over plan.

Day 1:
AM: Travel
PM: Epcot if time and jet lag permits. This will probably just turn into an early night! (FP: Test Track)
Day 2:
AM: Magic Kingdom (FP Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear.)
PM: Epcot
Day 3:
AM: Animal Kingdom (FP: Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Flight of Passage.)
PM: Animal Kingdom
Day 4:
AM: Universal (FP: Soarin)
PM: Universal
Day 5:
AM: Hollywood Studios (FP: Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Spectacular.)
PM: Magic Kingdom
ADR: Dinner @ Raglan Road
Day 6:
AM: ESPN Wide World of Sports (RunDisney Expo)
PM: Typhoon Lagoon (FP: Expedition Everest, Flight of Passage.)
Day 7:
AM: WDW 5km, Hollywood Studios afterwards (FP: Rock n Roller Coaster.)
PM:Magic Kingdom
Day 8:
AM: WDW 10km, Magic Kingdom afterwards (FP: 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion.)
PM: Disney Springs (Early Night back at resort.)
Day 9:
AM: WDW Half Marathon, Back to resort afterwards (FP: Na'vi River Journey, Expedition Everest.)
PM: Mini Golf (Early night back at resort)
Day 10:
AM: WDW Marathon
PM: Afternoon in the resort (FP: Slinky Dog Dash.)
Day 11:
AM: Morning in the resort
PM: Afternoon free (see how we feel 24 hours post Dopey!) (FP:Living with the Land, Soarin.)
ADR: Dinner at 'Ohana
Day 12:
AM: Hollywood Studios (FP: Toy Story Mania.)
PM: Epcot
Day 13:
AM: Universal (Volcano Bay) (FP: Thunder Mountain, 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor.)
PM: Universal
Day 14:
AM: Morning free (finish anything top priority)(FP: Expedition Everest, Na'vi River Journey, Kilimanjaro Safari)
PM: Animal Kingdom
ADR: Dinner @ California Grill
Day 15:
AM: Magic Kingdom
PM: Travel

Edited at 01:00 PM.
AP1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I have taken a look, these were my thoughts.

On your arrival day, MK closes at 8pm, flights usually get in late afternoon so might not ms,r it depending on what you are on. Otherwise we really enjoy getting to a park that first evening and MK would be first choice. Epcot has late hours though if it is not worth going to MK for time.

One day at Universal might not be enough for first timers without express passes. I would think about either dropping it, adding an extra day or getting an express pass.

You have got Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach in the plans. Personally I would only do a water park once in a fortnight, it also might be a bit cold for water parks. So I would have back up plans, book fast passes anyway. I team BB up with Animal Kingdom to as very convenient. Is the ESPN thing morning only? If it is all day, I would probably go to the water park first.

I am just working my way down and seen the second Universal day / half day so the point above on time in Universal is eased. I don’t think I would plan three water parks in January though.

I would probably swap day 14 morning and afternoon over. I say this mainly because of the fastpasses, you will have booked then in the afternoon for HS meaning you won’t get any fir whatever you want to do in the morning.

I am not s runner so couldn’t make any comment on how the running fits in with your plans, I am sure you can judge that better.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

We are due to land at MCO at 2pm so i totally understand there might not be enough time to do much in the evening - I also think we might be a little tired by then anyway!

If you were to pick one from Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach which would it be? I think we definitely want to keep Volcano Bay as we've paid for the tickets for Universal and want to get the most use out of them but I like the idea of dropping one of the Disney Water Parks for some more time.

My only concern with doing another Universal day is the cost of transport between the parks? My understanding is that a taxi is quite expensive and that Public Transport is lacking.
AP1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

How brilliant - you will have a great time.

We have done marathon/dopey twice (2014 and 2018), we had lovely weather in 2014 and absolutely freezing weather in 2018 so do prepare for both! Also Disney tend to shut one of the water parks at that time of year for repairs so you may not get a choice between the two.

Keep moving gently after the runs and you should be OK for the next one, but the waking up and lining up very early each morning is probably harder than the running itself. You may find it easier to try to keep close to UK time rather than adapting to US time (coaches for the runs leave the resorts from 3am and I think that the last recommended coach for the marathon is 3.30am to get into your corral in time for the start). I would be tempted to look again at your Ragland Road reservation.

If I remember correctly there tends to be a celebration at Disney Springs after the marathon so you may want to pencil that in as well. You will probably catch the christmas tree trail in Disney Springs at the beginning of your holiday if that interests you.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
How brilliant - you will have a great time.

We have done marathon/dopey twice (2014 and 2018), we had lovely weather in 2014 and absolutely freezing weather in 2018 so do prepare for both! Also Disney tend to shut one of the water parks at that time of year for repairs so you may not get a choice between the two.

Keep moving gently after the runs and you should be OK for the next one, but the waking up and lining up very early each morning is probably harder than the running itself. You may find it easier to try to keep close to UK time rather than adapting to US time (coaches for the runs leave the resorts from 3am and I think that the last recommended coach for the marathon is 3.30am to get into your corral in time for the start). I would be tempted to look again at your Ragland Road reservation.

If I remember correctly there tends to be a celebration at Disney Springs after the marathon so you may want to pencil that in as well. You will probably catch the christmas tree trail in Disney Springs at the beginning of your holiday if that interests you.
Thanks! How did you find the Marathon? I'm really looking forward to it - Hoping I don't get too bored on the roads in and out of the parks!

Ive never heard of the Christmas Tree Trail, I will have a look - Thanks for the heads up!
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by AP1991 View Post
Thanks! How did you find the Marathon? I'm really looking forward to it - Hoping I don't get too bored on the roads in and out of the parks!

Ive never heard of the Christmas Tree Trail, I will have a look - Thanks for the heads up!
I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am not a fast runner so really got value for money on it. The course is changing this year so no idea how much time you will have on the roads, and to be fair Disney normally have something every mile or so to keep you occupied. If not, watching and talking to the other runners is great fun as well (I will always remember the flock of flamingos calling to each other for the whole run).

The roads take you past some interesting parts of Disney (including solar panel farm and sewage works) but the janitorial staff cheer the loudest and are great. We saw an alligator one year (a cast member had to warn runners not to pee on it), and they have animals outside by Animal Kingdom for you to say hello to. Lots of photo ops (which is where the UK memory maker is brilliant) and you can normally get to ride Expedition Everest (unless you are very fast). There is no point in running with music as there was only about a mile without a sound track in 2018 and you lose the effect of running through the parks.

FYI the hills are non existent (they are the on and off ramps leading to hollywood studios).

I trained for the 2014 run but didn't get much chance to for 2018. We rested after the runs in 2014 but kept going in 2018 and found recovery to be a lot quicker (a lot less sore). But it is exhausting getting up so early (and I have just seen that they are starting the marathon at 5am rather than 5:30 which may mean you will have to get there earlier). It isn't the running so much but the standing around and waiting for the corrals to start (otherwise known as get to know your fellow runners). Pack some throw away clothes (we did the charity shops) if it is cold. Also ear plugs in case your neighbours are loud!

The medals are large and heavy - some runners wear all of the Dopey ones around the parks after they do it, but if you do then they will rub together and mark. I found putting a sock around the individual medal stopped the clanging (and on the last run you will get 3 medals so it is worth doing that before getting on the bus back to the resort).

The christmas decorations should still be up when you arrive in the parks but not too sure about in the hotels (I think that they took down the gingerbread house around the 3rd Jan when we were there) so you may get to see some of that. If you don't feel like doing much after the runs you may want to try the friendship boats that go between hollywood studios and epcot or between magic kingdom and the lake resorts. You can see some lovely sunsets on them!

It is a great run to do, good luck!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am not a fast runner so really got value for money on it. The course is changing this year so no idea how much time you will have on the roads, and to be fair Disney normally have something every mile or so to keep you occupied. If not, watching and talking to the other runners is great fun as well (I will always remember the flock of flamingos calling to each other for the whole run).

The roads take you past some interesting parts of Disney (including solar panel farm and sewage works) but the janitorial staff cheer the loudest and are great. We saw an alligator one year (a cast member had to warn runners not to pee on it), and they have animals outside by Animal Kingdom for you to say hello to. Lots of photo ops (which is where the UK memory maker is brilliant) and you can normally get to ride Expedition Everest (unless you are very fast). There is no point in running with music as there was only about a mile without a sound track in 2018 and you lose the effect of running through the parks.

FYI the hills are non existent (they are the on and off ramps leading to hollywood studios).

I trained for the 2014 run but didn't get much chance to for 2018. We rested after the runs in 2014 but kept going in 2018 and found recovery to be a lot quicker (a lot less sore). But it is exhausting getting up so early (and I have just seen that they are starting the marathon at 5am rather than 5:30 which may mean you will have to get there earlier). It isn't the running so much but the standing around and waiting for the corrals to start (otherwise known as get to know your fellow runners). Pack some throw away clothes (we did the charity shops) if it is cold. Also ear plugs in case your neighbours are loud!

The medals are large and heavy - some runners wear all of the Dopey ones around the parks after they do it, but if you do then they will rub together and mark. I found putting a sock around the individual medal stopped the clanging (and on the last run you will get 3 medals so it is worth doing that before getting on the bus back to the resort).

The christmas decorations should still be up when you arrive in the parks but not too sure about in the hotels (I think that they took down the gingerbread house around the 3rd Jan when we were there) so you may get to see some of that. If you don't feel like doing much after the runs you may want to try the friendship boats that go between hollywood studios and epcot or between magic kingdom and the lake resorts. You can see some lovely sunsets on them!

It is a great run to do, good luck!
Thats the best advice I have had ref Dopey by an absolute mile, thanks so much! Im pretty slow as well so glad they put stuff on each mile to keep us entertained! Just hope I don't get swept up by the balloon ladies!
Old 2 Nov 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Train for 15min/mile and you will be fine for the balloon ladies - they start the clock by the last person crossing the start line so if you are in an earlier corral then you have more wiggle room. If you are running short on time then I would skip the photos, some of the lines are very long. You may be able to get an idea of which characters are available at the expo (plus pick up times/groups for the pacers if you feel like running with them for a bit of the way). The run-walk method is used almost exclusively for the packs (look at the schedules on the run disney website) and it is a good method for getting yourself around.

I'll have a think and pop back if I think of anything else, but do ask! There are lots of other runners on here, who take it more seriously than I do.

Oh, one last thing - are you running in costume? If not, have a think about it as that is a great way to get shouts of encouragement on the course!
Old 2 Nov 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
AP1991
Earning More Ears

Train for 15min/mile and you will be fine for the balloon ladies - they start the clock by the last person crossing the start line so if you are in an earlier corral then you have more wiggle room. If you are running short on time then I would skip the photos, some of the lines are very long. You may be able to get an idea of which characters are available at the expo (plus pick up times/groups for the pacers if you feel like running with them for a bit of the way). The run-walk method is used almost exclusively for the packs (look at the schedules on the run disney website) and it is a good method for getting yourself around.

I'll have a think and pop back if I think of anything else, but do ask! There are lots of other runners on here, who take it more seriously than I do.

Oh, one last thing - are you running in costume? If not, have a think about it as that is a great way to get shouts of encouragement on the course!
Thats awesome thanks! Definitely thinking about a costume but theres so many choices.

Do the race day pacers do walk run as well?
Old 2 Nov 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
coulty47
Apprentice Imagineer

Blizzard Beach is closed the whole of January so thats one less problem for you, also we went to Typhoon Lagoon in January unfortunately the day we picked was a little bit cool it was ok to lounge around and sunbathe but it was very chilly on some of the water rides , yet the next day was in the 80s and would have been so much better.One good thing about Jan is the Americans think it's far to cold to swim so it is usually not to crowded.Theme Park hrs are at the top of the page for next year. have a great time.
coulty47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List