Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Dec 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

Florida prices with a 'tightwad'.

Quick background - we've never had a family holiday. My brother is getting married in 2021 and I hope to buy a house around that time too. As my brother thinks about starting his own family he wants our little family to have one big family holiday together finally. So we're heading off in Aug 2020, currently price shopping and hoping to book by the new year.

Now, our dad is very tight! My brother, my mam and I are each chipping in 3,000 and my dad is giving 1,000. That was the only way we could get him to go and he'e the type who looks at the flight prices and ''Richard Branson isn't getting my money'' You know the type

I've been looking at prices to see how much spending money we'll need and I know already my dad will kick off at the restaurant prices and the drink prices. I don't want the whole trip to be a moan about prices and I'm wondering what you do if you have a tightwad in your travelling party. I know we can't be the only ones!

I was thinking some options might be to get the dining plan, to put all our money in a pot rather than have individual spending money. Any ideas or recommendations from your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elaine.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

I suppose it depends if you are all willing to subsidize your Dad? Would you split the bills ?
Old 5 Dec 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Far too risky for a family holiday, your Dad should put in the same amount of money. Is it just you, your Mum and your brother, each putting in £3,000 so £9000 for the 3 of you. Your father will only contribute £1,000, no way would I agree to that. You cannot pool spending money between the 4 of you, much too difficult, and if your father is 'careful' with money, you would probably get him saying you have each spent much more of the 'pooled' money than he has. You all pay equally or better not to go and end up with a huge family row and that will spoil your perhaps last 'together' holiday.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

I absolutely wouldn't be going with such a fun sponge.
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I'd ask him which 1/3 daily meals he'll be joining you for, which 1/3 parks he'll be doing, and I'd book him in Economy back row and the rest of you in Premium.
Or better still, I'd challenge him to find an equivalent holiday for £1000 without leaving the UK - and book him on it while you 3 go to Florida!
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

Not to turn it into a therapy session lol but my brother has long struggled with our father not being more of a 'family man' - joining us on holidays and that sort of thing so having him come on this trip is very important to my brother.

If it means paying more than my share I'm fine with that for peace sake and for having a family holiday for the first and last time.

I was just wondering if others have navigated having someone tight with money in their party while over there.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
My BIL didn't believe in tipping , 4 in his family 4 in ours, in the end I wouldn't sit at the same table with them as it looked like the two families were giving a small tip rather than one half giving nothing.
I know you really want your dad to go but it sounds like the holiday could be remembered for your dad not wanting to pay his share rather than the holiday itself
Good luck
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I almost had a breakdown when some dear friends came on holiday with us, they were so excited to be finally going to Florida but it become the holiday from hell, he would scan each menu before entering a restaurant looking at prices and trying to find the cheapest burger, he refused to leave a tip, he wanted to go shopping but moaned about the prices, he wouldn't pay the price to go in any of the theme parks, it became a nightmare, we have been to Florida many times with friends and family but never again with a tightwad. Good luck
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

We went as a large party, took me a while to notice but my bil was picking up the tip we left and leaving $1 in it’s place !
After that I waited until he had left and put the tip down!

I would pool money for group spending, meals etc and try not to let your Dad see the bill!
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Aer you staying onsite at Disney? If not, the dining plan isn't an option.

How many of you are going? More than just the 4 of you? (You say family, but it's not clear if you have partners/children etc) Is the £10k budget for everything, excluding spending money? Flights and park tickets alone will come to over £1000 per person.

I think you need to make it clear to your father from the start he needs to be looking at $50 per day for his food - or more, if he wants to drink alcohol with his meals / while out. Unless you're all prepared to pay for everything for him, or he's going to stump up the cash, I can't see it being an enjoyable family holiday for anyone!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List