Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States - Day 5 Philadelphia and onto Washington

23rd October 2017

This is going to be a quickie as it is taken up mainly with lots of driving from New York to Washington. But don’t worry I’ll make up for it with the next day

We were up early, finished off packing and checked out. The Nesva had been great, the location for what we’d paid had been a bargain. Yes the room had been small, but clean and quiet and a safe neighbourhood. Never felt anxious coming back at night. I’d also had a parcel form Bath & Body works delivered there for when I arrived with no problem and no charge which was very kind. Staff were lovely too always friendly and helpful so would recommend this as an option for those not wanting to pay Manhattan prices.

So we reverse our journey of the Thursday before, along the Street back to the subway where some builders asked if we were ok and did we know where we were going.
We found this again and again in NY, people stopping to ask if we were ok did we need any help with directions anytime we had pulled out a map. So kind and to be honest quite unexpected, have not experienced that level of thoughtfulness in a big city anywhere - thank you New Yorkers!
We headed back to the airport to pick up the car from Dollar. Lack of preparation meant we got hit with EZ pass charges for a couple hundred $. I’ve since found that Dollar are one of the worst for charges on these but as we didn’t know where we’d be going and if we could avoid tolls we had to go with it.
We then had to wait for a car and there was no choice just a rather old grotty Jeep Patriot, not much better inside with no mod cons
I’d post a pic but really it wasn’t that great!
We finally set off a bit after 10.15 an hour later than I’d hoped.

Our first stop was Philadelphia and we headed straight for some certain steps!
This is the Museum of Art in fact

Not what we were here for though

This was a must see for the boys, they were embarrassingly excited!

As you can see

DH impressed us all by running all the way to the top, the rest of us walked up there were a lot of steps!

Then we all took turns to stand in Rockys steps

Great fun and glad we went.
However we had a way to go so it was back in the car and on a bit further to a Subway. Some seasonal choices which I partook of

Then we took our delicious sandwiches outside and scoffed.

We then continued on to Washington and the Holiday Inn Rosslyn Bridge. We passed the Pentagon on the way which was rather exciting.
We checked in and thanks to another Dibber was prepared for the information that it would be $20 per night parking. I argued this as in fact when I’d booked it had been free and the charges were dropped with little fuss which was good. They also had another BBW parcel for me errrr hmmm
We headed to Ruby Tuesdays round the corner, wasn’t great and rates as one of th poorest meals of the holiday but drinks were food!

Quick shop in Target for cereals and milk as we weren’t breakfasting here. Admired the Halloween costumes

Saw this on the walk back to the hotel

Tomorrow the White House!

Steps today 8719, more than I thought

States covered so far
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland

Index

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 12:47 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a shame the car hire experience wasn't better! W3 liked being in LIC too - it really wasn't a hassle at all!

Love the Rocky photos!

Glad to hear you got the car parking charges removed - every little helps!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Rocky photos looked amazing, you're all happy and smiling, it looks fun for a travel day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a shame the car hire experience wasn't better! W3 liked being in LIC too - it really wasn't a hassle at all!

Love the Rocky photos!

Glad to hear you got the car parking charges removed - every little helps!
Feel bit embarrassed we went to Philadelphia and did this rather than the Liberty Bell and such but there wasn’t time and to be fair we do a lot of American history in Boston.

Thanks for reading

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The Rocky photos looked amazing, you're all happy and smiling, it looks fun for a travel day.
It was one of our better travel days have to say there’s a real stinker further along Everytime I have to give credit to our boys they just get on with it. As long as we’re up front and tell them it’s going to be a long one they’re fine, we have sing a longs they sleep and eat and still indulge in I spy now and again
Thanks for reading