Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Portable A/C unit for home

Can I have some recommendations? We can have the windows open for the exhaust type unit.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We had a portable air con unit years ago for the loft conversion as it gets so hot in there, and it was a disappointment due to the loud noise it made, plus having the vent hanging out of the window which kind of defeats the object of cooling the room.

We fitted the proper split air con units in our bedrooms and have never looked back. They are so quiet and with the windows shut it limits the noise from outside, plus we have comfortable sleeps on the warm nights. They also good for quickly heating the rooms on a cold night.

Might be worth getting a few quotes for a proper split air con unit.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
We had a portable air con unit years ago for the loft conversion as it gets so hot in there, and it was a disappointment due to the loud noise it made, plus having the vent hanging out of the window which kind of defeats the object of cooling the room.

We fitted the proper split air con units in our bedrooms and have never looked back. They are so quiet and with the windows shut it limits the noise from outside, plus we have comfortable sleeps on the warm nights. They also good for quickly heating the rooms on a cold night.

Thanks. You might be right. The bedroom is in a south facing dormer. It’s currently 30 up there behind the closed curtains. 😁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
Thanks. You might be right. The bedroom is in a south facing dormer. It’s currently 30 up there behind the closed curtains. 😁
Wow that is warm considering the temperature outside is much lower. Trust me it really is money well spent to get a good nights sleep. Also when people are having BBQs/parties in the garden in the summer, we close our windows and cutains and it blocks most of it out. Even our old girl spaniel sleeps well having the air con on and isn't panting.

That said, we have a comfortable temperature set on our air con units, so we don't have it like some of the shops/restaurants in Florida do, to the point you are shivering it's so cold.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooky
Getting Excited

Did you use a local company? I am planning split air con units for our house move this (when we find one!)...I know appliances direct can do installation, but I'm not sure how competitve this is!.
Spooky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have a portable unit. For the window vent we had a piece of clear perspex made with a hole that fitted the tube. It clips onto the window when the Ac is being used. This eliminates the loss of coolness through the window however it is still too noisy for us so we have had a full outside system fitted this year. DD is having the portable one for her flat.
We used a local company for the split system and installation.

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We are another couple who bought a portable unit - it was way, way too noisy to be able to sleep with it on so we had a split system installed and have never looked back - we love it.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
Did you use a local company? I am planning split air con units for our house move this (when we find one!)...I know appliances direct can do installation, but I'm not sure how competitve this is!.
I have no idea of cost I'm afraid, but I would guess around £1500 all in. That is based on one of the main makes of units being used and not some unknown rubbish. As always where you live can make a difference to cost, and the size of the room the unit is going in will dictate the cost.

I have my condenser units on the wall at the back of the house, but as Ive got a flat roof kitchen so it's nice and straightforward for access.

I did the electrics myself and was fortunate that the guy who did mine works for a company full time, so he did mine at the weekends and wasn't overly expensive.

I would call a few people from the likes of Checkatrade to get quotes.

Edited at 02:27 PM.
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooky
Getting Excited

I have no idea of cost I'm afraid, but I would guess around £1500 all in. That is based on one of the main makes of units being used and not some unknown rubbish. As always where you live can make a difference to cost, and the size of the room the unit is going in will dictate the size of the unit.

I have my condenser units on the wall at the back of the house, but as Ive got a flat roof kitchen so it's nice and straightforward for access.

I did the electrics myself and was fortunate that the guy who did mine works for a company full time, so he did mine at the weekends and wasn't overly expensive.

I would call a few people from the likes of Checkatrade to get quotes.
thanks!
Last time I looked most companies were business oriented not domestic. I can't say I tried too hard as we don't want to install into this house before we move
Spooky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
We bought our unit from Appliances Direct (they are hands down the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with so wouldn't recommend buying from there!) We installed the actual internal and external units ourselves to keep costs down and paid a local AC engineer to connect it up and gas it. I think we paid £450 for the unit and gave the AC engineer £200 cash to connect the units up.

ETA - ours was a very straightforward location - internal unit on the bedroom wall through a bit of loft space and directly out to a flat roof where the external unit sits.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 02:26 PM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List