Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 16 Jul 19, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Not that $3 a day for 6 nights is going to make any difference to the overall cost of my holiday but I see the hotel parking charge is now $27 a day and my invoice states $24, I wonder what we will get charged next month

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

parking charges have little to no impact on a vacations budget

I'll be staying for 2 weeks at CBBR, when I booked, parking charges were $14 a night, they're now $17 a night
I do wonder what they'll charge, but TBH, I know from firsthand experience that Team Members (they may need manager approval) have some lattitude to adjust the rate, especially for lengthy stays.

but, even at full rate, I would have paid $196 and with the new rate it could be $238
that's $42 for a fortnight.
Sure, that's good money, and it would be better in my pocket than in theirs, but, all things considered, when I think about the tickets price hikes (we're passholders, but they also increase in prices), the price increase for the hotel rooms, and when compared to the cost of the vacations ... the higher parking charge is not something that will have me reconsider having a car

yes, because parking charges are just part of the grand scheme of things

not hiring a car because you'll need to pay $3 more for parking ... this means eating onsite which is more expensive, so in the end not getting a car will end up costing more than hiring it ...
, or order uber ride to go eat offsite and save, but then, the issue is not with parking charges, but with the prices of car hires which are now ridiculous for some times of year (£870 for an intermediate SUV for one month for our trip next month .. ridiculous compared to what we paid a couple of years ago)

so, well, I think we are all aware (or we need to become aware) that florida vacations are getting even more expensive year after year.

But what's interesting, is that a $2 additionnal parking charge will cause more uproar than a 20 times larger price hike on hotel rooms or tickets.

At the end of the day, having a car gives so much flexibility, that the parking charge increase is a very minor concern. And I will admit that, I will not feel the impact in the slightest, because £42 vs. a £10k+ trip ...
when budgeting for vacations, I always plan some overhead charges, to provide for increases, unforeseen spends, and all.

That's just the way it is.
I would feel quite akward complaining on those increases (not saying I'm pleased with them) because I know there are places that are much cheaper than a florida vacations.
When booking a florida vacations, I know I have already accepted to be overcharged for everything, and I mean everything.

when I will no longer be able to justify the prices, and when I'll be to the point of reconsidering having a car in the US because of the charges, it will be the time when I start planning my vacations elsewhere, where life is cheaper.

sorry, rant over
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mmm, very unusual for Universal to be charging more than Disney.

Standby everybody Disney prices to rise!
I agree I expect Disney will put them up very soon.
Old 16 Jul 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I know some people are not bothered about parking costs ( not sure why, maybe very wealthy) but it now costs more to park at Universal for two weeks than to hire a basic car for two weeks! It was less than $10 back in 2009
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven't been to Universal for maybe 6 years and never stayed in a Universal hotel, but I'm giving this Endless Summer a bash in just over a fortnight, with a night at Hard Rock at the end of the holiday.
This is like Disney I take it, where I'm paying to park at Endless Summer at $14 a night, but can then park in the park itself for free?
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This is like Disney I take it, where I'm paying to park at Endless Summer at $14 a night, but can then park in the park itself for free?
nope, it's not like disney

you'll pay to park nightly at Endless summer

but if you take your car to citywalk (the parks parking lot) you'll need to pay the $25+ fee for the day on top of the hotel's parking fee, even though you are an onsite guest (the only way to avoid that citywalk parking fee is to be a preferred or premier AP holder)

so park up at endless summer, and to go to the parks take the universal free shuttle.
the shuttle will drop you off at the transportation hub (where you arrive from the main parking lot)

shuttles run very regularly, and it will take you an equal amount of time compared to driving, except it's free.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I know some people are not bothered about parking costs ( not sure why, maybe very wealthy)
Most probably because it's only a tiny proportion of the overall cost of a holiday to Florida.

Although these people don't like the increased cost (no one does!), it's not really worth getting bothered about. If they did, then they would have a fit once they realised how much flights, hotels, park tickets, character meals, etc cost.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
I know some people are not bothered about parking costs ( not sure why, maybe very wealthy) but it now costs more to park at Universal for two weeks than to hire a basic car for two weeks! It was less than $10 back in 2009
Its a business and they want your money to pay for the updates now and in the future.
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
nope, it's not like disney

you'll pay to park nightly at Endless summer

but if you take your car to citywalk (the parks parking lot) you'll need to pay the $25+ fee for the day on top of the hotel's parking fee, even though you are an onsite guest (the only way to avoid that citywalk parking fee is to be a preferred or premier AP holder)

so park up at endless summer, and to go to the parks take the universal free shuttle.
the shuttle will drop you off at the transportation hub (where you arrive from the main parking lot)

shuttles run very regularly, and it will take you an equal amount of time compared to driving, except it's free.
Wow, cheers for the heads up- what a royal rip off. I will be taking the shuttle bus!
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It is only $1 more than Disney, everyone is slamming Universal but really, it's such a small amount. Even if you go everyday for your trip, not a huge increase.

Won't be long until Disney put theirs up!
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List