Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Mar 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I’ve never had insomnia as such, but a few years ago I was struggling to get to sleep and sleep all night.
I tried Phenergen but it made me feel hungover the next day so stopped that straight away.
My mum had got me a sleep mask for when we came back our holidays on overnight flights so I thought I would give that a go.
What a game changer. I now always use a sleep mask and earplugs. I try to get to bed at a really decent time as I like an hour or so on my iPad then get my light out no later than 10:30. I’m up at about 6 ish.
I’m always up twice during the night for the loo but I’m so used to it now I’m straight back to sleep 99% of the time.
Looking back I think it was just my body starting to change as I was getting older.
I found that taking Phenergan at teatime really helped. No more groggy feeling in the morning.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I really sorry to read you are going through this. Having been a very poor sleeper for many, many years I believe I have come to terms and made peace with myself over my poor sleeping. Every night I have long periods of insomnia and always wake probably every hour when I do sleep.

I now simply accept that this is my sleep pattern, when I am awake I ask myself if I would rather be in bed awake or get up, mostly I stay in bed but there are times I just get up. For me it's important to not get upset or concerned with my lack of sleep as it makes it worse. I do try some yoga breathing or some relaxation, it seldom helps but does keep me calm and not stressed.

I can understand that people who are used to sleeping long periods find insomnia stressful but try if possible to just relax (I appreciate the steroids make that difficult)
I pretty much agree with all of this. I had terrible insomnia a couple of years ago which I completed stressed out about and tried so many things to fix it. All of that just made it worse as I was just over thinking it. I've now stopped worrying about it and while I'm not a brilliant sleeper it's way better than it was and if I have a bad night I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Hormones can play a part though so if you are in your 40s you could well be peri menopausal and should start thinking about or researching HRT.

Also, make sure you have a good bedtime routine, eg no phone/screens for at least an hour before you try to go to sleep.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
I found that taking Phenergan at teatime really helped. No more groggy feeling in the morning.
It never even dawned on me to take it earlier. 😊
Old 31 Mar 22, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
It never even dawned on me to take it earlier. 😊
I have no groggy feelings after taking Phenergan, personally.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
Hello
I’m having random bouts of insomnia. Last night I could not get to sleep. Even resorted to my daughters melatonin. I ended up with one hours sleep that included my 8 yo waking me for a hug!
Exhaustion got so bad I had quite bad chest pains.

Today I had to teach all day. It was not fun. I was nt on the ball. I made stupid mistakes in my teaching.

Does anyone else suffer, what do you take/do? I think it’s worse when I have my period. I do get quite low moods at these periods. It’s also worse when my husband is on nights. I’m on steroid tablets again (covid has destroyed my lungs) but I take them so early in the morning they should not be keeping me awake all night.

Frantically trying to work out the trigger.
Hi I have said this many times I suffer from this for many years and it not got better I sleep max 3 hours at a time I wake up do things iPad read ect then I try and sleep I find if you bizzy during the day then it helps you need to make yourself tied so that you want to sleep.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

I use boots Sleepeaze tablets when I have insomnia.
They’re brilliant, always get a good nights sleep on them, although can feel a bit groggy the next day sometimes.
Worth it though.
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List