Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 22, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDose View Post
I read that Reedy Creek has bond debts of over $2 Billion and that if it gets dissolved, those debts will be passed to Floridian families living in the 2 counties it covers. Shocking. Terrible tit-for-tat politics and the locals will suffer for it.
Fox said half of that, but that’s still a lot. However if they take it on then they would get the tax take on Disney hotels, merchandising and parking which currently goes to Reedy Creek and back to Disney.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

By law, a special district in Florida cannot be dissolved without a majority vote of the residents (i.e. Disney in this case), so I fail to see how this is going to happen. Just lots of noise for nothing.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
theotherblonde
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

One of the things that I like about staying on Disney property (when I eventually get to go) is that they do not allow fire arms/guns inside the resort.

Does this mean that rule could change?
theotherblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymike
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by theotherblonde View Post
One of the things that I like about staying on Disney property (when I eventually get to go) is that they do not allow fire arms/guns inside the resort.

Does this mean that rule could change?
Doubtful, because as I understand it that rule is just that - a rule they made for their own property. If someone who's legally carrying a gun in Florida is found with it at a resort (or a park for that matter), they can be kicked out/have their reservation/tickets revoked cos they broke the rules, but they can't be arrested or face any other repercussions really as they haven't actually committed any crime, and that position would be the same should Reedy Creek cease to exist (which I also don't think will happen). It would still be their property just not governed by them.

Edited at 02:58 PM.
disneymike is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Fox said half of that, but that’s still a lot. However if they take it on then they would get the tax take on Disney hotels, merchandising and parking which currently goes to Reedy Creek and back to Disney.
It is property tax that is in question not sales tax! The sales tax collected already goes mostly to the state with a portion going to the relevant county. This is mostly Orange County except for the area around Animal Kingdom that is in Osceola County. Reedy Creek Improvement District has nothing to do with sales tax.
Old 23 Apr 22, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rocking Ewok
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
One of the news channels estimates that lost tax would be in the region of $168m a year. Which is a big hit for the two counties that will take on the area.
Also estimate that property taxes might increase by 20% for local residents to cover the shortfall.

Incredibly shortsighted.
Rocking Ewok is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 22, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ontwofronts
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Rizzoface View Post
I go to Disney to forget and have fun and not to have ideologies or agendas pushed onto me - this is of course MY opinion.
As someone who was at Disney World this week, I can’t recall having any ideology or agenda pushed onto me.

Disheartening that 5 people, at this time, have liked this post. Seems rather ill thought out
ontwofronts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 22, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Keegan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rizzoface View Post
All Disney had to do was keep their mouths shut and focus on what their business model is = Magic and entertainment. They have gotten more and more political over the years as a company. This unfortunately was inevitable when you go outside your lane.
I go to Disney to forget and have fun and not to have ideologies or agendas pushed onto me - this is of course MY opinion.

The shareholders will not be happy and Bob paycheck is going to have to answer to them eventually. I wouldn't be surprised a lot of this is posturing and to bring them back on track and theyll hash out a new deal where they get to keep governing themselves essentially but with concessions.

thats my two cents.

Disney has been sending political donations for MANY years. Now they’ve finally decided to “keep their mouths shut” as you suggested and have now stopped political funding, it seems De Santis has lost his ****.

Your post literally makes zero sense but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Keegan is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 22, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

It won’t have any effect, the same playing field now as Universal, Sea World, Legoland, Gatorland. They have never had this perk and has no effect on your holiday
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 22, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Disney has been sending political donations for MANY years. Now they’ve finally decided to “keep their mouths shut” as you suggested and have now stopped political funding, it seems De Santis has lost his ****.

Your post literally makes zero sense but whatever helps you sleep at night.
To be honest it’s a fair point.

Once you start getting involved in things outside of your USP, so in this case creating magic, and start dabbling or making comments on things which are political, it’s always going to poke the bear.

You see it frequently in schools, sports teams etc etc who make statements in religious events, sexuality, transgender etc etc..it’s always going to provoke a reaction. In this instance, Ron dosent like Disney because of things they’ve had an opinion on, so that’s the issue.

This isn’t agreeing with Ron’s view either..but it’s a bit like “play with fire get burnt”.

As an example, the police shouldn’t of begun taking the knee supporting Black Lives Matter. BLM is a political movement as it’s not just a statement but a particular group with its own aims, so they drew criticism for it, as they started dabbling in things/going down an appeasement route in which really you shouldn’t have an opinion of something for neutrality

Edited at 09:07 PM.
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List