Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 May 22, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

When we arrange a family holiday we pay even now when they are in their 40s. Can't take it with us and it's a treat for us having them there.

If they invite us on their holidays we just pay for ourselves.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We’re off on a family holiday next week
We will cover food and everything for our 2 “kids “ ( 19 & 23) and our granddaughter.

We asked them both to come and are happy they are doing so .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Would I expect them to offer -mine yes but if it’s not something they normally do or something you have discussed then it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t.

That said if they are earning then I would expect them to cover most if not all of their own spending money for any extras they want but that’s something I’ve always taught my kids. Even when they were little we paid for days out but they had to chip in towards any souvenirs they wanted.

Our next trip will be the 1st dd has paid significantly towards she’s covering her tickets, flight & her share of the accomodation plus spends
We’re paying for main meals - she’s going to pay for any extra snacks/alcohol basically things just for her.
She’s happy to do so but then she’ll always offer to pay her share on days/meals out ect. We talked it all thorough including how much the holiday would cost & how much she could afford before agreeing on what she was going to pay for.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
When we arrange a family holiday we pay even now when they are in their 40s. Can't take it with us and it's a treat for us having them there.

If they invite us on their holidays we just pay for ourselves.
I'm with you on this. Our kids, adults with their own homes, will always do anything to help us out, not financially but with jobs around our house etc, they would drop everything if they thought we needed help.. There is never any discussion on exchange of money.

If we suggest a holiday we pay for everyone, I am happy to spend our funds on them rather than them pay HMRC 40% in death duty in the future.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Not Florida, but a week I had in Spain with DDs 24 & 20, they offered to contribute to holiday as it was a last minute thing, (older daughter full time working, younger at uni) I said it was fine, just by me a couple of beers when we are there. We were HB in a nice hotel, we ate breakfast and had lunch in hotel, we like to eat out on an evening.

They paid for three meals over the week, there was a bit of a fight with me saying it was fine, but they insisted and were happy to do it. I didn’t put a fight up if they bought a round of drinks round the pool. It worked really well, that’s the first time that’s happened on our trips for the 3 of us, including a few trips to Florida, I normally fund all costs.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My son had contributed a little towards his flight for this trip and when he couldn’t come we gave it back to him. He has made the same small contribution towards california next year. It isn’t much in the grand scheme of things but he likes to feel like he is contributing! He has a full time apprenticeship though with decent money, when he worked part time we didn’t take anything but he did take his own spends.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

No, we just expected them to bring their own spending money which covered everything they wanted to buy, including sweets, clothes, shoes etc. We didn’t expect them to pay towards meals or groceries.
Old 18 May 22, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

My eldest son (21) works full time and has far more disposable income than I do. He doesn't pay keep at home, but will run some errands for me every now and then and pick his siblings up from school if he is home etc. He has told us we're not allowed to go to Florida without him!

He has paid for his Disney and Universal tickets. We've paid for everything else (although did tell him at the start he was paying his full share of everything and to be fair, he saved for it all!)

He'll have his own spending money. When we're in the parks he can sort his own snacks, drinks (he won't drink water, so that'll add up!) and QS foods.

We'll probably pay for sit down meals and groceries etc and I've pre-warned him he can pay for 1 meal out. He joked that it'd be an uber eats!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

All my lot have decided to come to Greece this year , I paid for villa and car hire and they have paid for their flights and will cover their spends. They wanted to pay for it and to be honest everyone one of them including my youngest at 19 earns more than I do. It was their choice to tag along and to get 8 days in Greece for around £400 is not a bad deal ( with a chauffeur thrown in 😀 ).
It’s one of those topics on here that is entirely dependent on individual circumstances and wealth . I know if I had to pay for all 7 of us to go ( girlfriends coming too ) I wouldn’t be going away .
Old 18 May 22, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I wouldn’t ask DS but I would expect him to have plenty of his own spending for all the clothes he’d want to buy. He mentioned a lightsaber recently and I’m not funding that!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973

Edited at 01:11 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List