Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 22, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Yvemc
Excited about Disney

Wine in luggage?

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place! Wondering if anyone has ever taken wine in their suitcase - thinking either boxes, cartons or the pouches you can now get. Looking at the extortionate price in Disney at the mo I’m wondering if it is an option to take some wine with us to keep in the room rather than fork out the astronomical prices they charge for the teeny bottles in the hotels which is always rubbish wine anyway! Is this doable or am I liable to end up with wine soaked clothes?!
WDW Hilton DTD 2001, Wyndham Palace DTD 2004, Sheraton Safari 2006, BC 2009, AKL 2012, BC 2014, AKL 2016, Portofino Bay & Boardwalk 2022, it was worth the wait! Ok I said not until 2025 yet here we go again! 2024 Universal RPR & Drurys Disney Springs!
Yvemc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Yvemc View Post
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place! Wondering if anyone has ever taken wine in their suitcase - thinking either boxes, cartons or the pouches you can now get. Looking at the extortionate price in Disney at the mo I’m wondering if it is an option to take some wine with us to keep in the room rather than fork out the astronomical prices they charge for the teeny bottles in the hotels which is always rubbish wine anyway! Is this doable or am I liable to end up with wine soaked clothes?!
Wine is reasonable in Walmart (they tell me &#128521 but I have travelled with wine in bubble wrap, plastic bag and towels. Or if you think you would drink it all a wine box might be better.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I've brought many bottles of spirits and a few wines home so it's certainly doable but it always goes in with the dirty washing.

There's a lot of nice wine under $15 a bottle in the supermarkets - if you've no car might be worth a uber to the nearest.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Dabootie
Very Serious Dibber

You could do that so long as you wrap the items well and maybe put in ziplock bags…..or you could just get an Instacart delivery.
Dabootie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Firstly may I suggest AA, they maybe able to help you last a few weeks without wine

But seriously, maybe a trip to Walmart in a taxi.

Wine in glass bottles - have you seen baggage handlers. Picking glass out of wine soaked clothes is not my idea of a holiday.

Boxed wine - Airplanes are known for air pressure. I know packages I have packed have burst or swollen in size. Again, not my idea of a holiday to wear wine soaked clothes.

A bottle of wine is over 1kg in weight so this will quickly eat up your luggage allowance.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

A long time ago we bought some run back from Jamaica. Carefully wrapped in our luggage.

Goodness knows what happened to our bags but the bottle broke and we had run soaked clothing!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Never taken wine in to America but have brought some home including a very nice bottle of champagne that BA cabin crew gave my husband to celebrate his birthday when we flew first to SFO in 2016. We also flew with it to Vegas where we planned to drink it but in the end we brought it back together with some lovely wine from our napa tour. Honestly I just wrapped towels and dirty washing around the bottles and prayed that the champagne didn’t explode! We have bought wine in Publix and Walmart and ended up not drinking it all but I have to say that I had some of the most wonderful wine in the Contemporary - true it wasn’t cheap but it was really lovely.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lesmcguffog
VIP Dibber

lesmcguffog's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Just go to the spore market, Walmart last month 1,5 ltres for about $10. - for example
walmart/ip/Woodbridg...3?athbdg=L1600
California; San Fran, Napa, Monteray,
Georgia; Savanah
lesmcguffog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Yvemc View Post
Having seen the other responses about alternative wine procurement options, I'll stick to the question. I'd say it's doable. We've brought bottles home of other products and always double pack them. The extra layers of protection is a good idea in case of small leakages. I'd also go for a hard sided suitcase if you can, and if a bottle is well packed, then it should be fine. It's also prudent to swap a couple of outfits around so one person doesn't have all their eggs in the one basket as it were. Of course this is assuming you have more than one case.
Old 20 May 22, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Bear in mind you're only allowed to import 1 litre of alcohol to the USA
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List