Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 22, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
CLDisney
I want to go now!

First Time Disney, but Solo?

I've never been to Disney World before. A trip in 2020 we'd planned for 2 years was cancelled for... obvious reasons. And now, "we" is just me.

But I still want to go!

I know people go on solo Disney trips all the time, and I've flown solo to the USA by myself before (I was 18!), so I'm not scared of doing all that part. It's more a case of fear of enjoying it or not. I've never been. I don't know what to expect.

But I can't get the idea of strolling around the parks, doing what I want to do at my own pace, without having to hang on to anyone, out of my head.

So, a question to you dear Dibbers. Am I mad? Would doing a solo Disney World trip as my first trip to any Disney park ever, be totally bonkers, or is it totally reasonable? Do you know anyone who's done this?
CLDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Just been over by myself. I had a ball. I ate were I wanted and did what I wanted without having to consider anyone else. Would do it again in a heartbeat, but don't know if OH will be too happy.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
rayraygreen
Excited about Disney

I used to live out there so I had a few solo days. Some of them were some of my favourite days as I could do what I wanted, eat where I wanted, rest when I wanted etc. If I wanted to ride the People Mover 300 times in a row or just sit in Diagon Alley all day, there’s no one around to tell you not to! Sometimes you’ll just have random conversations in line with other people or if you go single rider. Lots of people go on their own and most people are too involved in their own experience to even notice you’re on your own!
Hollywood Studios CM - 2013
Epcot UK Pavilion CM - 2017-2018
rayraygreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
FATM
Earning More Ears

I’ve travelled to Disney solo a couple of times and I’m flying back out in August to do Universal solo.

I love it. There’s no worry about everyone enjoying; you’ve only got yourself to worry about.

You do have to think about ‘the bigger picture’ though. So, if it’s busy you won’t have anyone to hold a table in a QS etc. You miss a body, but once you’ve done a day of it, you’ll be into the swing of things!

A top tip I posted here last time was always carry cutlery and napkins with you. There’s nothing worse than getting food, sitting down in a busy restaurant and realising you’ve left all the little bits.
FATM is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Done a few solo, had great trips and found people very happy to chat. I do stay on QS meals for a solo trip but table service would be fine too
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

I think it's a wonderful idea. I can imagine exploring the parks to my hearts content and seeing everything I fancy without having to make sure the rest of my clan are happy. Don't get me wrong, I love WDW with the family but a few days there on my own might be bliss.

Exploring Animal Kingdom and taking my time on all the animal trails. Strolling around world showcase and seeing all the bits I've missed on past visits. Going on BTM 5 times in a row because I want to! Hanging out with a drink in Galaxies Edge and soaking up the Star Wars vibe without having to rush to the next ride or stop the teenagers from squabbling. Even just chilling in a bar at the resort chatting to fellow travelers.

Single rider lines every time and no debates about 'what to do next' or 'that line is too long'. Just pleasing yourself and going with the flow. I'm feeling quite jealous.

Like others have said, people tend to be quite chatty at WDW, I've had plenty of interesting conversations with people from all over the world in the queues and some have been very entertaining!

When we were there in April this year we met a lovely family from NYC who were happy to spend their time in the queue for BTM chatting about their lives in the Big Apple. (I now know more than I ever expected to about the NY school bus system and the in's and out's of the freight industry!)

Go for it! What have you got to lose? if all else fails it'll be a great adventure and you'll know how you feel about travelling on your own. Life is about taking some risks. You'll never know unless you give it a go and you'll be proud of yourself for having the guts to take the risk and do something challenging.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Go for it I say !
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I went solo in 2019 and it was honestly the best holiday of my life - but I had been 9 times before, so I knew my way around and exactly what I did and didn't want to do.
On the other hand, if it's your first time then if you miss something that would have been worth doing you won't know that, will you? so win-win either way.
I got a pin badge that said "First solo trip" and got into so many conversations with people (mostly women ) on the transport links who were all envious of my status. One woman was on holiday with a big family and had just walked out on then that morning fed up with their arguing and was going to have a day on her own
Cast members always chat with solo visitors more. I never felt alone really the whole time and it was SO fabulous to make a plan one evening and then just change my mind about it on the bus on the way there because I just felt like it
It's easier to get dining if you're alone - most difficulties for reservations are for large parties. I think I only made two dining reservations in advance and the rest I just walked in and waited, never more than 15 minutes
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

My DD is just back from a solo trip, Universal, not Disney and loved it.

She had the freedom to do what she wanted when she wanted.

Used Uber for the first time to the Florida Mall and Walmart and felt totally safe.

She would have no hesitation in doing Disney alone and would have chosen to do that but as we are going in September she decided just to do Universal .
Old 27 May 22, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

Im going solo for 13 days in august, hitting DLR before going down to WDW this is all solo, I love that you can just go at your own speed. I have never really done disney before Ive visited the ODD park but this is like a full week by myself, if feeling lonely just chat to people I don't this on my solo trip in November when I went to Universal. obviously don't go up to a random.

I felt very safe in November, if I was in a uber and they asked was I having a good time and why im by myself I would say oh my friends In the room she just came back etc. but definitely safe, I got a UBER at 6am to the Walmart :-)

I say go for it! it will be amazing.

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List