Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Dec 21, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Increase in utility bills

Has anyone else had a shock with gas and electric lately. We only recently had a smart metre installed so I've been keeping an eye on it. I had a shock when it read over £9 for one day. I'd had the conservatory heaters on as we have a new puppy and I'd been putting them on in the morning while she was in out of the door while I was trying to get her house trained.
We had been paying £115 pm with Octopus, and have increased it to £130pm now.
I've found even if I'm a bit more cautious now we are using between £5-£6 per day. I'm not one for being frugal but I've started putting a jumper on in the house first thing when I'm up at 6am and not putting on any electric heaters. DH is up til midnight working and he puts an extra layer on after 10pm when the central heating goes off. I reckon we need to increase our direct debit to £160pm. We can afford it but God help people on a low income with the increases.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Our utility bills have sky rocketed too. We have a smart meter and it is frightening some days, although luckily we've not had a day of £9, wow that must have been a shock.

We are out at school and work every day so only have the central heating on timer for an hour in the morning and then about 3 hours in the evening, it goes off at 8.30pm as we don't like the bedrooms to be too hot for sleeping in. Fortunately we have good insulation and the house retains the heat well. At the weekend the bill is much higher as we are all home.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We are on a fixed tariff with Octopus until March. Currently paying £84 pm for gas and electric. 4 bed detached and we have the heating on all day. 19 degrees from 6-9am & 4-10pm, 10 degrees night and 17 degrees the rest of the day. I am dreading what we will have to pay from next Spring. I am guessing it will at least double.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

My gas bill has been sky high for years due to living in an old Victorian house with ceilings as high as the sky. The house is never warm.This year, is our first winter with our new boiler. Our old boiler didn’t have a thermostat and was always on full so I’m hoping for a reduction in our bill this year - even with the increase in costs or at least for it to stay the same.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
My gas bill has been sky high for years due to living in an old Victorian house with ceilings as high as the sky. The house is never warm.This year, is our first winter with our new boiler. Our old boiler didn’t have a thermostat and was always on full so I’m hoping for a reduction in our bill this year - even with the increase in costs or at least for it to stay the same.
I feel your pain, ours isn't Victorian but is a 1948 build and can best be described as Baltic!
The new boiler I had put in just over a year ago cut the bills by circa 20% I reckon.

OP. We had 2 smart meters put in a few weeks ago but one display unit in the kitchen.

That lasted 24 hours and it got unplugged and consigned to a cupboard somewhere. Actually it was our electric usage that floored me not the gas usage. My Wife does have 3 TV's on though!

Tip - Don't try Karcher power washing for 5 hours and then look at the usage.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are with Octopus so will be on the flexible Avro tariff for now. We are still paying £117 a month for both. The gas use we couldn’t economise on. We have a newish boiler, a hive thermostat and I don’t like the house particularly hot. The hives great if I spot dh has sneaked the heating up !
It’s the electric use that’s ridiculous. My son and daughter can definitely multi task, watch tv, use their iPad and phone all at the same time ! There is always something plugged in charging up.

I will keep an eye on it but what can you do ! As you say we can afford it but I do feel for people who can’t.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

I've constantly refused to have a smart meter and have no intention of getting one. I just note the meter readings monthly using my eyesight and pen and paper.

I presume you washed your slabs with the Karcher Mr T M 😉
Old 18 Dec 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We need to get our new boiler, we've meant to but kept procrastinating. It's going to be sorted in the new year, so maybe that will help.
I agree it's the electricity that is bumping it up. I'm up at 6am and DH is up working from home til midnight. I've turned off lights when we aren't in the room but it's still a lot of hours of use. The tumble dryer as well..I need to do a load of washing today including towels and bedding. This time of year it's no chance of drying outside and our puppy thinks it's fun to drag clothes off the airer 🙈
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
I've constantly refused to have a smart meter and have no intention of getting one. I just note the meter readings monthly using my eyesight and pen and paper.

I presume you washed your slabs with the Karcher Mr T M 😉
I also dug my heels in and refused to have a smart meter. The more they pushed me the more I dug my heels in.

Nobody pushes me!

However I got a 3yr fixed rate electric deal with EDF in early Summer and I had to agree to a smart meter as part of the contract. Thus I had the one done so it became logical to have the gas done as well especially as the meter was so old I think the Romans installed it!

I never power wash the slabs I use Patio Magic and hose them. Did the walls though.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 21, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

No smart meter here either. I am EDF variable.

Heat and comfort is essential, so I will divert the money that otherwise would have been spent in Florida over the past two years.

Stay warm everyone….roast those chestnuts 😂😂

Disney332