Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Mar 22, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Shelter Box are based in Helston, about 9 miles from me.

Many years ago, I applied to be a field worker and got to final selection, 5 days on Dartmoor. Unfortunately, I had to withdraw, due to ongoing work commitments meaning that I would have been unable to give them the time they deserved.

They are a wonderful charity, started by Helston Rotary Club and 94% of all donations actually are spent on the shelter boxes themselves.. remarkable and maybe Oxfam and co could learn from their model!
Thank you that’s really helpful,that was my concern I want my money to be going to where it’s actually needed
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ok, honestly, no I wouldn't.

I'm glad others could do this, but not for us.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

I have to be honest and say it’s not something I would consider either. I am happy to help in other ways.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 01:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We couldn’t
But we are in contact with the local groups to help with food etc , essential household items . Support for child care , access to services, provide a couple of iPads , monies phones etc if need be
We have still got a big Eastern Europe community here and they are going all out so supporting them we know is the best we can do right now
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

We only have one small spare room with a double bed in it, and one bathroom but we would let someone have it,
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Here we are allowing Ukrainian people to arrive no visas etc

Allowed to stay for three years
Empty properties being prepared
Community shelters being set up ... especially for those who are transiting through the country

Might we regret it who knows but we can't just watch woman and children lose everything.

There are thousands of empty houses in the UK. It can't be beyond the witt of man to prepare these for both refugees and the homeless in turn

It's all very well the UK government asking you as a nation to take in refugees but I suspect they know the obstacles in place as mentioned here. Ergo removing their responsibility and ultimately blaming "the people"
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

I heard just a snippet on the radio yesterday. Those offering rooms would have to commit to 6 months minimum. Just something to be aware of.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

The Russian here who have been sanctioned, like Ambramovich, should have their properties seized (I think some of them will be ?) and then they should used to house the refugees - that would focus the minds back in Moscow !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yes I'm also willing and able to house refugees, I have a spare bedroom and bathroom as well as a newly renovated outhouse (garage conversion), I feel its the least I can do.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I think the sentiment is admirable and I take my hat off to you all. I have two spare bedrooms but I won’t be taking anyone from Ukraine in as tragic as the situation is, the way I look at it is, there are homeless people where I live, vulnerable and people who don’t have the best life, I’m sure it’s the same where you live, I haven’t seen a thread on taking any of these people into UK homes. Too much can go wrong in my view. I appreciate my thoughts won’t go down well, but you can’t please all the people all the time.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List