Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Mar 22, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
I think the sentiment is admirable and I take my hat off to you all. I have two spare bedrooms but I won’t be taking anyone from Ukraine in as tragic as the situation is, the way I look at it is, there are homeless people where I live, vulnerable and people who don’t have the best life, I’m sure it’s the same where you live, I haven’t seen a thread on taking any of these people into UK homes. Too much can go wrong in my view. I appreciate my thoughts won’t go down well, but you can’t please all the people all the time.
I appreciate and understand completely where you're coming from. For me, the difference is the kids, more vulnerable and I've never seen young children on the streets here at least. Lots can go wrong, I feel in my heart that homing a mother and child is less likely to go wrong.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think people do what they feel they're personally able.

No shame on those that choose not to

I can't take a refugees due to my treatment. I donate. The shame should be on the government asking woman and children to jump through Ridiculous hoops to reach family in the UK

I posted this elsewhere.. such a difference

Our local village where we have coffee on a Sunday

A journey of 7,200 kilometers to Aljucén to survive
Olena, a Ukrainian who lives in Aljucén, next to Mérida, took the car and, together with her daughter, crossed Europe and went to the Polish border to pick up her daughter-in-law and two grandchildren

Made possible because they didn't have to fill out endless forms, apply for a visa etc etc they have automatic residency for three years.
Children in school..living as normal life as they can.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
I think the sentiment is admirable and I take my hat off to you all. I have two spare bedrooms but I won’t be taking anyone from Ukraine in as tragic as the situation is, the way I look at it is, there are homeless people where I live, vulnerable and people who don’t have the best life, I’m sure it’s the same where you live, I haven’t seen a thread on taking any of these people into UK homes. Too much can go wrong in my view. I appreciate my thoughts won’t go down well, but you can’t please all the people all the time.
I understand and respect your point of view but I don’t agree with it. The majority of people living on our streets have taken a wrong turn somewhere in their lives, some have had MH issues, I’m not judging or condemning them. However, when people are damaged and struggling with addictions and MH issues, the general population can’t just open their doors and try and deal or cope with their needs.

However, Those fleeing Ukraine were like you and and me, leading stable family lives until someone started dropping bombs on their homes and their hospitals. We are talking about giving a place of safety and sanctuary to people who have visas and have undergone some form of assessment.

The risks are entirely different.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

I think it's a huge commitment to take on for 6 months or maybe much longer.What if you really don't get on with the family,and they just don't fit in with your own family life? It's all very tragic and hats off to those of you are going to take in a family.
Scotsmomma2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I think people do what they feel they're personally able.

No shame on those that choose not to

I can't take a refugees due to my treatment. I donate. The shame should be on the government asking woman and children to jump through Ridiculous hoops to reach family in the UK

I posted this elsewhere.. such a difference

Our local village where we have coffee on a Sunday

A journey of 7,200 kilometers to Aljucén to survive
Olena, a Ukrainian who lives in Aljucén, next to Mérida, took the car and, together with her daughter, crossed Europe and went to the Polish border to pick up her daughter-in-law and two grandchildren

Made possible because they didn't have to fill out endless forms, apply for a visa etc etc they have automatic residency for three years.
Children in school..living as normal life as they can.
I have watched too many TV documentaries, to support the idea that people should live in our country without visas.
I have said previously, I think we need to think about being able to process those applications on our shores when we can see people suffering. As Ukraine have stopped travel for Men under 60, it really does mean woman and children, plus OAP’s first.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by pinkbelle View Post
I have watched too many TV documentaries, to support the idea that people should live in our country without visas.
I have said previously, I think we need to think about being able to process those applications on our shores when we can see people suffering. As Ukraine have stopped travel for Men under 60, it really does mean woman and children, plus OAP’s first.
Exactly.

I equally agree under normal circumstances visas should apply..but this is not normal
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
The Russian here who have been sanctioned, like Ambramovich, should have their properties seized (I think some of them will be ?) and then they should used to house the refugees - that would focus the minds back in Moscow !
I agree, plus all those empty blocks of flats in London bought with dodgy Russian money!
Old 12 Mar 22, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

I think it’s so amazing so many of you are willing to open up your homes ❤️ I would nt have room but to be honest I couldn’t anyway,I’m far too much of a worrier ! I would worry about the happiness and safety of my children .
what if the family is not a “nice” family.there’s no guarantee they are going to have the same family values as you.they could have their own issues/demons/problems
.it’s going to be a full cross section of society after all.
I hope that doesn’t make me sound unkind as I’m really not ! I realise it’s a good thing we are not all the same! .i will help where I can in other ways xx
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 22, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by catlady View Post
I agree, plus all those empty blocks of flats in London bought with dodgy Russian money!
Love to see them full of Ukrainian refugees... the irony

Meanwhile the Portuguese government have upset the Russian ambassador..with a big up yours

By lighting up the Russian embassy in Ukrainian colours
Old 12 Mar 22, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I don’t really think it’s a case of right or wrong in this situation, many can and will take refugees in, others can’t or don’t feel comfortable with it. I think both points of view are perfectly understandable. There’s many ways to help, and I think most people agree that they want to do what they can, whether it’s by taking people in, volunteering or donating.

I do feel the government is shifting the responsibility here by this scheme. It isn’t a bad scheme, but it’s not enough in it’s own. The government should also be providing shelter and homes for the refugees. There’s so many empty properties in the UK, plus there are the hotels that has recently been used as quarantine hotels. These should be used to house the refugees too. The government needs to commit to far more support than they’re currently suggesting
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List