Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Mar 22, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I never had children but this got me

This made me cry 😭😭

When you first have children they talk about the challenges of parenting... the struggles of a baby waking in the night,
the toddler who won’t stay in their bed, the cost of childcare, injuries from sports...

Having to take off work to pick them up from school when they don’t feel well, helping them with homework, a messy house, the never ending laundry, the cost to buy school clothes, packing their lunches...

You watch their eyes light up on Christmas morning... and try to soak in the magic of those moments.

You coach them in sports, rushing to practices and ballgames...and tote them all over the country to let them play the game they love...no matter how exhausting or expensive it becomes.

Life is just so busy that you rarely even stop to think what the end of those days look like.

In fact, it’s not really even something you can wrap your mind around.

You go into it thinking that 18-20 years sounds like a long time...

Then suddenly hours turn into days...days into months...and months into years.

That little person that used to crawl up next to you in bed and cuddle up to watch cartoons...suddenly becomes this young adult who hugs you in the hallway as they come and go.

And the chaos and laughter that used to echo throughout your home... gets filled with silence and solitude.

You’ve learned how to parent a child who needs you to care for and protect them... but have no clue how the whole “letting go” thing is supposed to work.

So you hold on as tight as you can...wondering how time passed so quickly...feeling guilty that you missed something...

Because even though you had 20 years... it just somehow doesn’t seem like it was enough.

You ask yourself so many questions...

Did you teach them the right lessons?
Did you read them enough books as a child?
Spend enough time playing with them?
How many school parties did you have to miss?
Do they really know how much you love them?
What could I have done better as a parent?

... When it’s time for them to go, it all hits you like a ton of bricks.

And all you can do is pray... hope... and trust that God will protect them as they start to make their way into the world alone.

Parenting is by far the most amazing experience of your life... that at times leaves you exhilarated... while others leave you heartbroken.

But one thing is certain... it’s never enough time...💕

So for all the parents with young children...whose days are spent trying to figure out how to make it through the madness...
Exhausted day in and day out...

Soak. It. All. In.

Because one day... all those crazy days full of cartoons, snuggles, sleep overs, Christmas morning magic, ballgames, practices and late night dinners...

All come to an end.

And you’re left hoping that you did enough right, so that when they spread their wings...

They’ll fly...💕💕💕

Credit to the Amazing Author:

@MistyBrewerLee
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I get the sentiment of this but I find the 'enjoy every moment ' message of this (and similar posts) quite toxic.

It's like you are being told you are wrong for not wanting to be woken 17 times every night, or being puked on, or not enjoying tidying the house every 10 minutes.

Damn I love my son more than anything on earth and I soak in every moment of the cuddles and his tiny hands and his laugh.

But parents it is totally OK to not 'treasure every moment'. Nobody needs to treasure a poonami or a screaming fit at 3am. It's like all of life- the good with the bad. And it's really really damn hard. Don't be hard on yourself too if you hate it sometimes.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I get the sentiment of this but I find the 'enjoy every moment ' message of this (and similar posts) quite toxic.

It's like you are being told you are wrong for not wanting to be woken 17 times every night, or being puked on, or not enjoying tidying the house every 10 minutes.

Damn I love my son more than anything on earth and I soak in every moment of the cuddles and his tiny hands and his laugh.

But parents it is totally OK to not 'treasure every moment'. Nobody needs to treasure a poonami or a screaming fit at 3am. It's like all of life- the good with the bad. And it's really really damn hard. Don't be hard on yourself too if you hate it sometimes.
As a grandparent I echo this sentiment - now we are going through being ‘puked’ etc on by grand babies so the circle goes on. Do we mind not too much as this time we get the option of handing them back and catching our breath.
JAF is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

This. Exactly this.
Old 25 Mar 22, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just the one for us. As DH put it “a wonderful experience that I wouldn’t have missed for the world, but that I have no wish to do ever again”. I was happy with one but DD has told me her and DSIL are not having any, their choice entirely. It’s an individual thing in my opinion and sometimes people feel guilty but I don’t think they should whether they choose none or many.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I was once told that as a parent the days are so long but the years are so short. So true!
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I was once told that as a parent the days are so long but the years are so short. So true!
I say the very same thing - With my eldest turning 18 in a few weeks, I literally can’t believe where the last almost 19 years have gone! But I also remember the very looong toddler days! 😂
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
James is 8 now and I love the post as I look at him sometimes and just think wow, I love how little your hands are and his little button nose. Not long left until he’ll be taller than me.

I’m torn between having a second as I feel like I don’t want another child I just want to go back to james being born and do it all again x
Old 25 Mar 22, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
My sister told me something very similar when he was born- the days go slowly but the weeks go quickly. I agree its so correct!

I am so glad my 2yr old is now at nursery full time. As I said I love him endlessly but I was going out of my mind on maternity leave (ok so lockdown didn't help). I'm a much better parent for not being with him 24/7!

One thing I did read that helps me treasure moments is that you never know when you are doing something for the last time. You never know when you are breastfeeding him for the last time. Or rocking him to sleep. Or holding his hand as you cross the street. You will never know until its over, and you suddenly think hey I haven't done that in a while!
Certainly helped me when spending endless hours rocking him to sleep

Edited at 03:30 PM.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 22, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
My sister told me something very similar when he was born- the days go slowly but the weeks go quickly. I agree its so correct!

I am so glad my 2yr old is now at nursery full time. As I said I love him endlessly but I was going out of my mind on maternity leave (ok so lockdown didn't help). I'm a much better parent for not being with him 24/7!

One thing I did read that helps me treasure moments is that you never know when you are doing something for the last time. You never know when you are breastfeeding him for the last time. Or rocking him to sleep. Or holding his hand as you cross the street. You will never know until its over, and you suddenly think hey I haven't done that in a while!
Certainly helped me when spending endless hours rocking him to sleep
Totally agree love him but love him even more when he’s asleep or at school 😆 happy mum happy kid 🙂