Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Mar 22, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Insomnia is driving me crazy

Hello
I’m having random bouts of insomnia. Last night I could not get to sleep. Even resorted to my daughters melatonin. I ended up with one hours sleep that included my 8 yo waking me for a hug!
Exhaustion got so bad I had quite bad chest pains.

Today I had to teach all day. It was not fun. I was nt on the ball. I made stupid mistakes in my teaching.

Does anyone else suffer, what do you take/do? I think it’s worse when I have my period. I do get quite low moods at these periods. It’s also worse when my husband is on nights. I’m on steroid tablets again (covid has destroyed my lungs) but I take them so early in the morning they should not be keeping me awake all night.

Frantically trying to work out the trigger.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

I’m sorry you’re going through this.

I find that for about a week every month I can’t get to sleep before 3am and then I’m up at 6. I’m not sure if I can count it as insomnia because I do eventually get a couple of hours, but it’s a nightmare all the same. I’m 100% convinced it’s linked to my cycle/hormones. I’m lucky that I work from home and so I can be a zombie for those few days.

But I’ve tried sleeping pills, no caffeine, lots of caffeine, reading, watching tv, relaxing before bedtime. But nothing really works. Now I tend to just listen to an audiobook and try to relax if nothing else. Sometimes that helps, other times I end up back out of bed.

Sorry that my advice is that I have none!
Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry to hear this, I can only comment on the steroids, I assume prednisone?

I had years on and off them and they killed my sleep, awful tables but a lifesaver at the time.

I went against all advice and actually ended up taking mine at night just before I went to sleep, I suppose some people react slower to them and I was one, it definitely helped me.

Hope things improve soon.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I've had difficulty sleeping properly since lockdown. I don't take anything. Just try and not have alcohol or coffee before bed.

I feel exhausted but can't sleep at times so I listen the radio. That way I can close eyes and rest and don't have to look at anything.

I've worked my way through all the comedy panel quizzes. Various documentaries and audio books. I've listened to all of Jane and Fi and currently working through kermode and Mayo film podcast - which lasts 111m a go and is interesting. I now often dip in and out of sleep.

The boring talks are worth a go too.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Zopliclone it the only thing that works for me - even though my ani-represent mirtazapine is supported to make me drowsy, despite being on max dose it doesnt (but is a great mood stabiliser (downer) as long as I remember to the venlafaxine (upper) in the morning

(PS I also take steroid inhalers but have to taken them as soon as I wake up and when i retire for the night - I know they jigger up all sorts but do hell with my asthma and hope, if i get covid, mean it is much less severe) - going away on vacations my pils and positions nearly fill my vanity case !

Edited at 09:54 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

I take a steroid inhaler morning and night. Stopped taking it whilst on my recent course of prednisone.

I’m now in bed, on my phone so that can’t help. Must get off it now!

My mum has really bad insomnia so I’m wondering if I’ve inherited that gene.

Wish me luck, I’m actually dreading trying to sleep.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

I have started using magnesium supplement and I find it has helped
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post

My friend swears by the Sleepy body lotion that Lush does. I’ve used it a few times and alongside a mindfulness or meditation app can relax me enough, so whilst I might not sleep like my friend I do at least feel a little bit relaxed rather than stressed and tearful and dreading the night. It’s not the cheapest stuff and you’ve to put it all over for it to have the best chance of working (I tend to just do arms and chest to make it last longer). They do bubble bars and shower gel with the same fragrance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I have also always been an awful sleeper.
If I manage to eat well, exercise a bit and get into a routine it is better, Disney Parks are great! ‘How did you find DLP Kirsten?’
‘Amazing, I got 8 hours sleep two nights in a row! ’

I am very sensitive to caffeine and can’t have it within 10 hours of bedtime, afternoon cup of tea absolutely guarantees me being wide eyed into the small hours.

I have started taking a magnesium and potassium supplement and that’s helping a bit.

Definitely struggle more around my period.

I listen to podcasts, I find R4 comedy panel shows quite good, like I need to trick my brain into quieting down.

I found melatonin just made me feel worse. Herbal nytol I find is good for 2-3 nights every now and then.

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 22, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I listen to R4 Extra, old dramas, comedy and audiobooks. I’m often kept awake by sciatica but also have unexplained insomnia. I bought a B&BW lavender destress body spray and that seems to help a bit, plus I do take melatonin. I’m lucky that I’m retired and so don’t have to get up for work. But it’s very depressing when both husband and dog are sound asleep and I’m still wide awake.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List