Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Apr 22, 01:52 AM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Sad to say but I no longer tip...

I've been going to Orlando for 25 years, normally every 2 years up until Covid. I'd have always tipped the suggested 15-20% without thinking but this time it's different.

I've been in Orlando since Tuesday. In my opinion the restaurants used to be cheap allowing for the tip expected. Now the restaurants aren't cheap at all (Bahama Breeze sits around $20 per main meal), discount coupons are hard to come by where in the past they were everywhere and in general our waiters haven't seemed all that interested.

Sorry to say but I've not tipped once since we arrived. If I'm paying $20 for a main meal there is enough profit in that for the restaurant to pay their staff properly.
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 03:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Keegan
Apprentice Imagineer

The cost of everything is through the roof so ofcourse things won’t be as cheap as they were two years ago. Is your weekly shop the same price as 2 years ago? Your petrol? Your gas and electricity? No ofcourse it’s not, so why do you expect a restaurants meal to be?

Those staff members rely on tips to pay those same bills have that gone up.
Keegan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 03:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
The cost of everything is through the roof so ofcourse things won’t be as cheap as they were two years ago. Is your weekly shop the same price as 2 years ago? Your petrol? Your gas and electricity? No ofcourse it’s not, so why do you expect a restaurants meal to be?

Those staff members rely on tips to pay those same bills have that gone up.
And restaurants here are akready struggling to recruit staff as well. If too many tourists decide they no longer deserve tips because prices have gone up they will be quitting in droves.

There are more and more "fast casual" places where you order at the counter if tipping bothers anyone.

Edited at 03:16 AM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

I'm not disagreeing on some of your points...it's just maybe some of the restaurants could be doing more too.

Sorry but if waiters quit in their droves then perhaps they could get a job at some of the other places that guarantee a certain wage (McDonald's etc)
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 05:25 AM  
Link to this Post
doodles
Getting Excited

Fantastic. A tipping thread.
Just today I tipped at Blaze, not because they insisted, but because it was suggested on the credit card device as I paid. I only tipped 10% but I thought the whole place was being kept clean and organised by the table staff.
At my resort I’m happy to tip up to 20%, depending on how it rounds up to the nearest dollar.
All the restaurants I’ve been to I’ve happily followed the 18- 22% suggestion on the check. Except of course Disney where they seem to expect the tip % to be based post tax and not before.
doodles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 05:27 AM  
Link to this Post
doodles
Getting Excited

I’ve also had a few good snacks at Taco Bells. Perhaps the OP could frequent there? No tips required.
doodles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think that we will be tipping, but weighing up the service and quality before deciding upon how much, whereas in the past, it was simply a round up on 18% and to the nearest dollar or two.
The staff have no control over the food prices, are doubtless working harder due to shortages and have rent to pay.
Yes, no doubt prices of ingredients etc have increased also, thus forcing up prices.

I always decline to tip on the bill, explaining that I leave tips in cash and on the table. This hides the gratuity from IRS calculations (and maybe the owner).
Whilst I am effectively paying ‘cash in hand’ and not all of it is seen by those working behind the counter, it is the method that I am most comfortable with.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Given that the cost of living is rising everywhere that hardly seems fair. You are someone that can afford international travel and a you’re going to deny the server that extra few dollars that’s nothing to you but may be everything to them? Nice.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I think fast food will start to become more popular, no doubt.

With fewer restaurant visits as a result, it is even more important to leave a tip. We are all in the same income squeezing boat, but diners are on the upper deck, whilst staff are a few floors down where its so much harder to reach the lifeboats.

Disney332
Old 8 Apr 22, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

The bulk of the waiter/waitress income comes from tips.They are even taxed on the perceived tip.So by not leaving a tip you are costing them money.
If you prefer to not leave a tip then use a fast food type place.
Or use a buffet style and leave a smaller tip.
We try to offset the tip by using coupons.
Also by not leaving a tip they may get into trouble with the manager as they will think they gave bad service
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread