Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Apr 22, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

DS again, I’m at an absolute loss updated post 88

As as been highlighted in previous threads DS (22) has type 1 diabetes and mental health issues. He was discharged from the mental health team last year and lives alone in a flat.
Since Xmas he has had numerous hospital admissions with DKA as he refuses to inject his insulin. His physical health is suffering he is not attending to his personal hygiene needs and is testing and is severely underweight and he has stated he is depressed and suicidal.
He was admitted to hospital again on Monday and remains there as he is so physically unwell.
His Diabetic nurse has contacted me today and said that he is not safe to return to his flat and live alone and in her opinion if he does he will die. She thinks he may have an eating disorder.
She asked if he can come back at live at home with us, I have expressed concerns on the impact this had on my other children and myself when he previously lived at home and I did not really feel comfortable or able to support him in the way I feel he needs. She said she would ask his dad if he could go and live there but that’s unlikely to be an option to be honest. She said if he is forced ti return to his flat that I then need to contact his GP and ask for him to be sectioned under the MHA as he’s not safe there?!
I work in mental health and I know that a GP can’t do a MHA alone anyway it needs another MH professional, to date MH are refusing to support my son in any way, I have tried and and tried and so has the diabetic nurse. I have also contacted adult social care to try and get support but they won’t help either and his diabetic nurse as also done safeguarding referrals as DS is classed as a vulnerable adult but nothing has come of it.
I’m at my absolute wits end, I don’t know what to do, I’ve spent the afternoon consumed with guilt, worry and stress. I honestly don’t understand why MH aren’t getting involved if the diabetic nurse is saying he’s not safe to go home?!
She has said that the ward have said they are requesting that he is reviewed by a MH consultant this time and not a nurse but I’m still not convinced this will
Make a difference either.

Edited at 11:27 PM.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I’m so very sorry no advice but I hope he gets the help he needs soon ❤️
Is there anyone else you can contact 🤞
Sending you love xx

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Sorry no advice here either but sending lots of virtual hugs and positive vibes to you.xx
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Apparently his Dad has had a row with the diabetic nurse on the phone because he’s away watching football in Sheffield until Monday so can’t do anything to help at all!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lindylou46
slightly serious Dibber

So very sorry for what you are going through, sending hope that your son will get the help and care he needs and that your mind can be put at ease.
lindylou46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

My observations are as someone who works in ED and not an expert on MH.
I see loads of young adults and teens who dont manage there diabetes without and MH issues. If there is a MH issue then he needs assessed, I suspect like most hospital acute services it will be via practitioner from the "crisis" service who I doubt will be able to help as this is a MH problem impacting physical health. Could you ask the diabetic team to hold an MDT meeting with themselves, social care and mental health?
It sounds like the diabetic team are trying to help but the question I would ask is if they fear he will die if sent home is this a "safe discharge"?
It would be a VERY brave person who would try this and I would be calling my medical defence organisation for legal advice before I went anywhere near this but the clinical team could detain him on a section 5 which would trigger a more formal assessment but that's a very risky route to go and what "yes minister" would call courageous.
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
My observations are as someone who works in ED and not an expert on MH.
I see loads of young adults and teens who dont manage there diabetes without and MH issues. If there is a MH issue then he needs assessed, I suspect like most hospital acute services it will be via practitioner from the "crisis" service who I doubt will be able to help as this is a MH problem impacting physical health. Could you ask the diabetic team to hold an MDT meeting with themselves, social care and mental health?
It sounds like the diabetic team are trying to help but the question I would ask is if they fear he will die if sent home is this a "safe discharge"?
It would be a VERY brave person who would try this and I would be calling my medical defence organisation for legal advice before I went anywhere near this but the clinical team could detain him on a section 5 which would trigger a more formal assessment but that's a very risky route to go and what "yes minister" would call courageous.
This is why I don’t understand why MH aren’t doing more to be honest given what the diabetic team are saying? It’s like all MH are seeing is him not injecting, becoming unwell and calling for help. They aren’t seeing the neglect and continuing self harm at all
Old 8 Apr 22, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

No wonder you are at your wits end.

It is shocking that your poor boy has been cast adrift.

Do you think it would be of any use to contact your local councillor or MP and get them involved?

If you, and perhaps the diabete nurse, draft a letter to the councillors/MP we on the Dibb could send emails to them highlight the mental and physical health crisis of one of their constituents, without mentioning his name - he does deserve his privacy.

We talk on the Dibb a lot about supporting people with mental health issues, this could be a chance for us to actually help someone.

×❤V

Should have said, only if you want to try this route. ×❤V

Edited at 05:55 PM.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
No advice just my thoughts are with you
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I am so sorry you are going through this. I can’t imagine how stressful this is.
Have you spoken to your son about what happens now? Is he wanting to go to his flat or does he want to be with you? Does he want help? If not, he definitely needs to be sectioned under mental health section but I have no idea how that works.
I am flabbergasted that the nurse is saying he will die if he returns to his flat but unable to offer any further help.
Sending you and your son my love x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List