Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 22, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

I don't think it's absolutely terrible but I think the poster above summarised it perfectly for me.

Separate tweets would have been more appropriate.

Both important, both valid, but I think putting them together was just not well thought out.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
Sorry I think you are wrong he gave a very eloquent and sympathetic tweet regarding the poor children. He should have then done a separate tweet for the remembrance of the sad death of George floyd. The two are separate incidents and should be kept that way.
We can agree to disagree, but you described his tweet as truly abhorrent ….which it clearly wasn’t.

“ What happened is truly abhorrent, as is the former president Obama tweet if anyone cares to look it up”

Some may feel it was misjudged to put the two together but abhorrent is a bit of an over reaction…
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Obama PR will likely be trying to raise awareness of the George Floyd Justice In Police Act which has failed to pass Congress.

The family of Patrick Lyoya have just been at the White House.

mlive/news/grand-rap...ce-reform.html
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I just think The fairy tale of the American dream is being shown for what it is a fairy tale.

It's s country designed and rum by business

Mass shootings... Not enough people really care, lets be honest... too much money in THE NRA

A health system that allows thousands to end up with high costs... Run by insurance companies and pharmaceuticals

Representatives who can only get voted in because of wealth

A divided nation on race and poverty

The list goes on

Great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I find it laughable that the likes of Trump and supporters called poverty stricken countries ≈≈≈≈≈ holes, and thru want to build a wall between Mexico and the USA .. Im not sure elementary school children are tuaght evasive actions to active shooters... especially when you consider the USA Considers itself "the" leading country in the world... Well I think that ship sailed a while back.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I just think The fairy tale of the American dream is being shown for what it is a fairy tale.

It's s country designed and rum by business

Mass shootings... Not enough people really care, lets be honest... too much money in THE NRA

A health system that allows thousands to end up with high costs... Run by insurance companies and pharmaceuticals

Representatives who can only get voted in because of wealth

A divided nation on race and poverty

The list goes on

Great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I find it laughable that the likes of Trump and supporters called poverty stricken countries ≈≈≈≈≈ holes, and thru want to build a wall between Mexico and the USA .. Im not sure elementary school children are tuaght evasive actions to active shooters... especially when you consider the USA Considers itself "the" leading country in the world... Well I think that ship sailed a while back.
It's easy to reduce it all to money, but I think a great deal of it is actually cultural and idealogical - which is then cynically exploited by large corporations for financial gain.
If we view the American dream through either a Disney prism or indeed just a continental gaze, it's bound to seem shattered. But actually much of the ongoing current debate about health care, guns etc is very much in the spirit of the founding fathers and the conflict between the federal government and the states. There is an inherent distrust of government in the US, even among some Democrats, the like of which we don't really see in the UK - it runs deep in the US and almost everything is viewed through this. And so, while it's tempting to make comparisons on some of these issues with the UK or Europe, the two are just not comparable.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
It's easy to reduce it all to money, but I think a great deal of it is actually cultural and idealogical - which is then cynically exploited by large corporations for financial gain.
If we view the American dream through either a Disney prism or indeed just a continental gaze, it's bound to seem shattered. But actually much of the ongoing current debate about health care, guns etc is very much in the spirit of the founding fathers and the conflict between the federal government and the states. There is an inherent distrust of government in the US, even among some Democrats, the like of which we don't really see in the UK - it runs deep in the US and almost everything is viewed through this. And so, while it's tempting to make comparisons on some of these issues with the UK or Europe, the two are just not comparable.
I don't disagree... however it's a culture and ideology that is obviously not working, is backward looking and not forwards looking

I'm not naďve enough to view a country through the eyes of Disney. I travelled extensively or a bit around the USA. I'm not comparing with the UK or Europe, but I know where I'm happier to send my grandchildren to school.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I don't disagree... however it's a culture and ideology that is obviously not working, is backward looking and not forwards looking

I'm not naďve enough to view a country through the eyes of Disney. I travelled extensively or a bit around the USA. I'm not comparing with the UK or Europe, but I know where I'm happier to send my grandchildren to school.
I'm with you there, and that's partly why we chose to return to the UK.

But our experience taught us that there are facets of American life and culture that are not always apparent to tourists, for good and for bad. The upside of government distrust, for example, meant that communities were often very adept at advocating for and facilitating change. It may sound cheesy but democracy in action on local level is something that I've very rarely found elsewhere, whereas our small midwest community made it look easy. It was a joy to witness and be a small part of.

Like you, I will never understand, for example, why anyone struggling to afford health care would ever vote republican - to me that will always be turkey voting for Christmas. But for large parts of American society this not only makes perfect sense, but is very much the essence what is a free America.

Edited at 06:55 PM.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

How sad that the husband of one of the teacher's who was killed,has suffered a heart attack and died,leaving behind 4 children.💔
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
How sad that the husband of one of the teacher's who was killed,has suffered a heart attack and died,leaving behind 4 children.💔
Oh my god no!
This is horrendous.
Honestly, my heart breaks for them.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Land of the free