Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 May 22, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Disney Springs has the same metal scanners as the parks now. Whichever way you enter you have to pass through one.
If you arrive by car, yes.

But not if you arrive by resort bus from what I recall. Assuming so, bad-shooter-man drives into a resort (has an ADR), parks up and then gets on a bus to Disney Springs.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 22, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I didn't start the thread to scare..but like the alert for hurricane warnings. Missing children warnings on phones

Could large theme parks do the same

Sadly it probably will be wrong place wrong time.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 22, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We definitely passed through a metal detector at Disney Springs in January because the chain on my handbag set it off and I got pulled over.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 22, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We’re staying at Disney and didn’t pass one when we got off the bus but they did have a sniffer dog follow behind john on entrance
Old 25 May 22, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

Here atm and there are metal detectors in universal before you enter city walk also a fairly heavy police presence this was before the school shooting there’s metal detectors in SeaWorld just before entrance Disney springs has them and also had to go through them for the big rollercoaster rides rip ride rockit and velocicoaster
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
It's crazy the stuff you think of. I have a filing cabinet behind my door in my classroom. Not because it's convenient but if something were to kick off, I can quickly shove it and it'll barricade my door diagonally.
Obviously I'm not worried about a gunman but on the random chance a pupil/adult/visitor decides to go on a violent spree.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Everybody goes through a scanner be it via car, Monorail, Skyliner, boat, walking from The Contemporary or a Bus.

The scanners are very good and they can see on their screen what has caused the activation. Then the person on the desk to which you are sent sees the same image which he or she pulls up on their PC.

You can spot the plain clothes security people if you look carefully as they are inside and outside the Parks. Also Disney Springs. There is a giveaway if you know what to look for.

I clocked it years ago but I’m not going to post on here what it is.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I didn't start the thread to scare..but like the alert for hurricane warnings. Missing children warnings on phones

Could large theme parks do the same

Sadly it probably will be wrong place wrong time.
I think something like that would cause mass panic and therefore is more likely to be a hinderance rather than a help, possibly a real danger given the size of the crowds at WDW.

There will have be many discussions on this topic behind the scenes, but it's not something that needs to be made public. If security measures are out in the open, more chance of someone working out a way to get round them.
Old 26 May 22, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
There is little doubt that some of the best security experts in America advise Disney on what is needed and plans to counter not only current intelligence threats but also those that are likely to come to fruition in years to come.

For example who has spotted the tank traps on certain roads, you can spot some from the Monorail. Who knows the secondary exits that can be used in an evacuation situation? I have spotted them as they are very obvious and a lot of us have used them after busy evening events and it is closing time.

Finally look up and spot the cameras. I doubt there is a square inch of Disney in the open air that isn’t being surveillad.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 03:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Josephus
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

My kids are in school here in Florida and they regularly practice ‘Active Shooter’ drills. All the schools here have a police officer stationed at the entrance during normal school hours. They spend most of the day flirting with the single teachers, but at least they are on site incase something happens.

Regarding park security - it’s virtually all show. I used to work in Heathrow Airport. I had an office airside (after security) on the second floor which had a window which opened out onto the entrance road landslide (before security). It would have been extremely easy for me to arrange for ‘items’ to be passed to me.

When I was in T2, my team had a staff room with lockers etc that was landslide. We knew it was coming, but not exactly when, but one night during a refit the staff room was suddenly classified as airside due to a huge terminal restructure. None of our lockers or the room was security checked thoroughly and we could have literally had anything there. My team were happy as they didn’t have to keep going through security when they returned from break. We definitely had a few small items (fruit knives etc) airside after this that wouldn’t have passed through security. It could have been much worse.

Occasionally I would have to move stock through the terminals and go through security. All the stock was in sealed totes that went through the scanner, but the actual transport cages were never checked.

Don’t even think about all the shops and restaurants airside that are getting daily deliveries from trucks. Staff get a thorough security check before they can have access to restricted areas, but once they have it they have a large amount of freedom as it’s simply not practical to check everything 100%.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been thinking of buying a gun. Probably a Glock 19. They are around $500. I don’t need a license or anything. I just go to a store, they do a security check and if I pass (which I will) I can pick it up in a couple of days. Bullets are around 50c each.

After the shooting yesterday I went to bed thinking that buying a gun would just be me adding to the problem. I think the gun laws here are too lapse and I’d rather there were fewer guns in peoples homes. However, I woke up today and thought that if I was in a situation where there was an active shooter, I wouldn’t be able to protect my family.

I’m now more inclined to buy a gun and take my ‘concealed carry permit’ so I can carry my gun with me if I choose. Many bags here are sold with a concealed carry pouch for handguns and I already have a side bag with this feature. It wasn't something I was looking for - it’s just a great bag, but now I can use if for its purpose.

I’ve been here 5 years and it still feels strange when I see guns. I was at a friends house in his back yard and his neighbor was at the back of his house cleaning some big gun. Another time I went to a house and the owner came out with a handgun in his hand. He wasn’t threatening or anything. He was just holding a gun. He was probably cleaning it or something and didn’t want to leave it unattended so he took it with him to answer the door.

There is a possibility that DeSantis will try and change the gun laws here to allow open carry. Guns are part of life here. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.
Josephus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List