Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Feb 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Help please: Son broken leg

Hi all, our youngest DS (7) has broken his leg (femur). It’s a clean break so they said should heal well but no weight bearing for 6 weeks and plaster on for anywhere between 6-12 weeks depending on recovery. Doctor said it will likely take up to 3 months before fit and well which takes us to early May. We go to Florida on second May bank holiday. Just obviously have reservations about whether plaster will be off, and even still what state fitness wise he will be in. Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing? Wondering if to go or cancel. We are in desperate need of a holiday as had a tough time lately and very stressed so really want us to go but at the same time it’s a high energy holiday as well and don’t want to hamper DS recovery or make him uncomfortable throughout. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited at 10:22 PM.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Personally I would take buggy and go for it. My son was pretty big at 7 but could fit in a decent stroller which we bought in Florida and although we used it more to carry water and packed lunches he fitted if he needed a nap and my big ones were still raring to go. A few days in and dd1 who had severe disease ended up using it but it saved her being in constant pain.

Anyway... we bought it for $80 in Walmart and donated it at the end of the holiday. DS would at least have the holiday to look forward to and so would you! He can walk some to build up his strength but the stroller to take the strain.

Or if he's still bad a wheelchair but me I would definitely still go.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I would hire a wheelchair or a pram if he isn’t too tall.

I broke my leg in February 2009 when I was 13 and I think it was around May time when I had the plaster off, I had to teach myself to walk again and had a crutches for a while after as the muscle had wasted away and I walked with a limp for some time after.

It was also very painful if I walked too much on it. I had physio for a few months after.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

First step inform your insurance then look at either hiring a wheel chair
Or asking your local Red Cross for a temporary loan of one both here and to take with you
Your insurance may require a fit to fly as will the airline letter
Children do heal quickly but we do all tend to,forget they still need time to rest and grow at at 7 they can have a real growth spurt sometimes
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Oh no. The timing is so awful so hope your DS gets better soon.

I broke a few bones in my wrist a couple of years ago and it was just as I was starting a new job. I was in plaster for 4 weeks and then put into a removable splint for 4 weeks so I could drive.

My advice would be to contact your insurance now, just in case. Also, let the hospital doctor know at the next clinic about your holiday. My doctor gave me a removable splint for 4 weeks rather than a cast for 2 weeks. The outcome was the same but it had a massive impact on me being able to start my new job.

My sister bought a cheap stroller from Walmart for my nephew on their last trip. He’d have been about 6 at the time. I don’t think your son out look out of place in one and it’d give his leg a rest.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all. Really appreciate your help. I’m going to ring the insurance company today and see what they say. Only got out of hospital yesterday and just slept as we got little sleep in hospital. I suppose we just don’t know how he is going to be but I think a stroller is going to be a must! We are going to hire or buy a wheelchair for home too. Just can’t believe this has happened. 😭
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

My 12 year old broke his leg on 22 Sept last year. He had to have an operation as it was a very bad break and that was done on 2 October. He had the plaster off in late November and then had a boot on up until Xmas. He's now out of the boot but has had to still play no sports until he gets signed off in a couple of weeks.

It's been a long road for us but that was a very bad break. If yours is younger and its a clean break it should be healed in 6 weeks with then some time in a boot and then no sport for a bit longer?

Not sure if this story helps or not but I would say he'll be absolutely fine by the end of May - what have the doctors said about timelines?

ETA - sorry I just re-read your post and you had put timelines in there. By the end of May he might just not be able to run but walking should be OK. I wouldn't make any decisions until after his leg is properly in plaster and he's had another xray in a couple of weeks. Our recovery time kept changing as he wasn't healing as fast.

Also, ours was a demon with the crutches so you might find you don't need a wheelchair at home.

Edited at 02:41 PM.
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lu Lu View Post
My 12 year old broke his leg on 22 Sept last year. He had to have an operation as it was a very bad break and that was done on 2 October. He had the plaster off in late November and then had a boot on up until Xmas. He's now out of the boot but has had to still play no sports until he gets signed off in a couple of weeks.

It's been a long road for us but that was a very bad break. If yours is younger and its a clean break it should be healed in 6 weeks with then some time in a boot and then no sport for a bit longer?

Not sure if this story helps or not but I would say he'll be absolutely fine by the end of May - what have the doctors said about timelines?
That helps thank you. I think we will just have to see. Insurance said will only pay out if cancelled on say so of a doctor so will have to just wait and see nearer time but think a stroller will be needed.
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

First of all Best wishes for recovery. From ins angle, understand their advice to you - if the basis for considering cancellation is on medical grounds then they are reasonably looking for that to be based on medical advice. Your gp or consultant will no doubt have an awareness of conditions that are contra-indicators to flying so there should be minimal problems with cancelling if the advice is to do so. Fingers crossed it does not come to that and you get away on holiday.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List