Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Feb 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It’s calories out v calories in. I see many new people (and I could lose a bit myself but I’ve always regularly excised quite hard) join, and basically look at the phone half heartedly peddling on a bike, for 10 mins or a bit of a gentle walk on the treadmill, then go sit in the jacuzzi for an hour. If the aim is to get fit and lose weight, it’s a total waste of time. I always think exercise isn’t that great for weight loss unless combined with a strict calorie controlled diet. This is because you really have to go some to burn calories. For example, I’ve just done 10k on a treadmill, and I’ve burnt 800 odd calories. I’ll probably now eat a chunky Kit Kat, and I’ve put half of it back on!
There’s some very good advice above about joining in classes etc so you make the most of the time there.
However, back to your original question, no one will bat an eyelid. There’s loads of large people in the gym, some do go on to lose a lot of weight.
Thank you I wouldn’t join if I wasn’t losing weight at the same time. I did for years go on and off weight watches but I struggled,I tend to binge, it’s my head that needs changing and hubby never did it with me so it was hard having all the naughty food in the house and also cooking differently for me and everyone else.
We decided to start meal prepping to help us juggle all work and kids etc and we download my fitness pal. Because we are both doing it and basically counting calories and everyone is eating the same main meals it’s been much easier.
Been doing it 3 weeks and usually I would have given up by now and gone the opposite way but we seem to be sticking to it. Joining the gym, more for swimming to start with is me being hopeful to tone everything.

Probably not the best time to all of a sudden change our diets completely since we will be on 5 weeks of holiday in the next 5 months but hey ho. I’m hoping not to put too much on when I’m on holiday and maybe just be more sensible
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Probably not the best time to all of a sudden change our diets completely since we will be on 5 weeks of holiday in the next 5 months but hey ho. I’m hoping not to put too much on when I’m on holiday and maybe just be more sensible
You are absolutely doing the right thing starting now. There are always going to be social occasioms and trips away coming up, but you can still be making progress before then rather than waiting for the ideal time which never comes along.
Also nobody ever started going to a gym super fit etc, everyone has had to start somewhere.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Remember that some calories are "better" for you than others...

230 calories in a mars bar

240 calories in a chicken breast.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Try and go during the week in the day if you can at first as you tend to find fewer “gym bunnies” and more people looking to get /stay healthy so less chance of feeling intimidated and demotivated.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I used to gym regularly before I got pregnant. All shapes, sizes and ages and nobody gives anybody else a second look. Much prefer to see a larger person clearly making an effort to get fit than some super skinny gym bunny who spends all her time taking selfies on the machines.

Just make sure you take the advice of a personal trainer on how to use the equipment safely and effectively.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Try and go during the week in the day if you can at first as you tend to find fewer “gym bunnies” and more people looking to get /stay healthy so less chance of feeling intimidated and demotivated.
I wouldn’t go in the evening or weekend as I am either at work or would have the kids. My only time would be 9.30-2.30 really on the days I don’t work. Which would only really give me 12 days a month I could go.

But it’s definitely cheaper to get a month membership there and do swimming than it would be at the local swimming pool plus the gym doesn’t shut whereas the local one does regularly for lessons.

I’ve decided I might ask if I can have a look round on my next day off which is Wednesday and see what I think. Probably start with swimming then move on to other things.

I wouldn’t watch Netflix if I did anything I’d rather listen to music I think if I was on a bike etc.

Suppose all I can do is try.
Plus might give me something to do rather than sit at home bored when the kids aren’t here and it’ll be more fun than cleaning
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I'm fat and I used to love the gym. I went with another fat friend and honestly we were terrified when we started. But in no time at all we felt comfortable and enjoyed ourselves. I would say to ask for an induction to see how to use all the machines and ask them to give you a 'routine' to follow. This helped us to feel like we knew what w were doing on our first few weeks, rather than standing around feeling lost.

Good luck and go for it
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

I felt exactly the same when I started going to the gym but you'll soon notice that noone cares!
Do it!

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016
My Orlando 2019 Trip Report
My Orlando Feb 2022 Trip Report
DLP - May 2013, May 2018
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
I've started going to the gym again recently after a break since August last year, it's a different gym to the previous one I went to. I find it's a great distraction and helps me clear my head. I'll run between 5k and 10k each time whilst watching something on Netflix or Amazon Prime (or I'll listen to a podcast).

I'd rather stare at my phone watching a TV show than stare at the time/distance on the treadmill...I'm still running and not wasting time.

I'm nervous by nature and get anxious going to new places etc but honestly everyone is so focussed on what they're doing I really don't think anyone takes notice of other people. I can't say I have noticed what the other gym go-ers are doing.
Old 10 Feb 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Finished work early so I popped in there on the way home to have a look around. They showed me everything and it all looks good. My anxiety is definitely calmer now.

Hubby had got me a free pass so will be doing that on Wednesday or Thursday.
I just need to find my swimming cossie (and shave my legs &#128561 then I can go.

Not sure what clothes I would wear for the gym bit but the treadmill and bike look really easy to use and it was really quiet during the day too.

Least I’ll have something to do on my days off now too.