Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Feb 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Possible builder dispute

DD bought a house last May and used the builder that put us a new kitchen and conservatory in many years ago to install a new bathroom and do some building work for her. Since working for us he has scaled things down and only does smaller jobs on a part time basis as he has bought a micro pub. He has done other jobs for us over the years and we have never had a problem with him or his work.

DD moved in end of October and all fine until she rang last night screaming that water was pouring through her kitchen ceiling. There was warm water spurting from the side of her aqua panel which is behind her shower and leaking downstairs.
We went down helped her clean up and fortunately there's a little water damage on the ceiling but not a lot else. Water is off and we phoned the builder. He currently has no van or tools but hopes to rectify this tomorrow. He has just come back from a month in Australia. He said he would collect her key this afternoon but currently hasn't been. He has text DD and also me and asked about her insurance and has she contacted them. I advised him there was little damage so we probably wouldn't be involving the insurance. He thinks the shower will need to come out and/or possibly the plaster off behind the toilet. There is a false wall behind the aqua panel with the pipes in. He also advised DD that he no longer does building work.
So advice needed please because as far as we are seeing it this work is only 5 months old so should be guaranteed. We accept she will need to do some remedial painting work etc but surely he is obliged regardless of whether he still completes building work to put it right. He hasn't said he won't yet but as he said the plaster behind the toilet and the false wall and shower unit will need to come out it sounds like he thinks we should be claiming off her house insurance. We aren't seeing it like that. Any thoughts please, she is currently at ours as the water is off and we don't really have a space for her anymore so it needs to be sorted asap

Edited at 04:34 PM.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

do the receipts for the work have a guarantee ?

if he is no longer a builder does he still have insurance
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
do the receipts for the work have a guarantee ?

if he is no longer a builder does he still have insurance
No idea on either counts. I remember when he did our work the invoices and receipts said how long the work was guaranteed for.
Just expected there to be no problem and may be there won't be as he has always come across as decent. We get on fine with him and he lost his mate that helps him during the job and I helped him with a few awkward jobs.
DH is going to speak to him tonight I think.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Are you certain that the leaking pipe is what the bloke put in. If he did he is obliged to sort it, but if he doesn't it could frankly be a headache taking him to small claims court and proving it was his work. Even if you prove it was his work, it could be another thing getting him to pay up.

The house insurance should pay for the damage assuming its even worth going through the insurance. The fact that he's asked the question about the insurance, sounds like he's trying to get out of it.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Are you certain that the leaking pipe is what the bloke put in. If he did he is obliged to sort it, but if he doesn't it could frankly be a headache taking him to small claims court and proving it was his work. Even if you prove it was his work, it could be another thing getting him to pay up.

The house insurance should pay for the damage assuming its even worth going through the insurance. The fact that he's asked the question about the insurance, sounds like he's trying to get out of it.
My thought is the same about the insurance. It is definitely pipes that he put in the bathroom was taken apart and he put a false wall in where the leak is and out the pipes behind. There was a window there before.
Am I right in thinking the insurance will only pay for damage or would they pay for the job to be done as well. There is currently little damage just some painting needed but there will be more when the job is fixed I assume.
Old 5 Feb 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by birdiesX4 View Post
My thought is the same about the insurance. It is definitely pipes that he put in the bathroom was taken apart and he put a false wall in where the leak is and out the pipes behind. There was a window there before.
Am I right in thinking the insurance will only pay for damage or would they pay for the job to be done as well. There is currently little damage just some painting needed but there will be more when the job is fixed I assume.
That's also my understanding that home insurance pays only for the damage and not the cost of any repairs, which I fully understand.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
That's also my understanding that home insurance pays only for the damage and not the cost of any repairs, which I fully understand.
So I dont understand why he is asking after the insurance and has she called them. Came home earlier to catch him calling for the key so I could talk to him and gauge his response. Very hard over text and he seemed ok last night when DH called him but I suppose he has had time to sleep on it.
Old 5 Feb 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Does your DD's home insurance also have legal cover? If so, I would give them a ring and ask their advice.

Was the guy still a 'proper' builder when he did the job for your DD last year or was he just doing a bit of cash in hand work?
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

If it was his work - do you really want him fixing it?

If you can claim all this on insurance it might be better to get it sorted that way and cut your losses with the builder.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Does your DD's home insurance also have legal cover? If so, I would give them a ring and ask their advice.

Was the guy still a 'proper' builder when he did the job for your DD last year or was he just doing a bit of cash in hand work?
No all above board vat registered etc