Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 15 Dec 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Stupid Universal Premier Pass/Express Pass question...

Morning!
We are looking at cancelling 2 nights at HRH (costing £615) and instead upgrading to a premier pass for both our visits next year, but I am confused about one of the premier pass benefits... express pass after 4pm.

It isn't clear if you would get express pass per ride on each day you visit after 4pm or if it is just 1 express pass per ride for the whole duration of your annual pass - which makes a significant difference to the value for me.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, is there a way you can see the blackout dates for HHN prior to purchasing the pass?

We were looking at just getting a season pass, which would be fine for our visits, but then thought that cancelling the HRH and the 14 day passes we have and just going right in for AP would actually be cheaper, but I was staying at HRH specifically for the express pass, so if I would just get 1 express pass per ride for the whole year, it's probably not worth it!

Edited at 12:18 PM.
sbchannel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
It isn't clear if you would get express pass per ride on each day you visit after 4pm or if it is just 1 express pass per ride for the whole duration of your annual pass - which makes a significant difference to the value for me.
you can use that perk every day (if the day is not blacked out , as free express may not be used on some days)

it's one visit per ride, per day, after 4pm, for the duration of your AP

Also, is there a way you can see the blackout dates for HHN prior to purchasing the pass?
your best bet would be to guesstimate from previous years.

if the dates for HHN are not released when you wish to upgrade, then there will be no way of knowing
and even if they're released, inquire by guest relations, they'll have the most up to date info on the day you will inquire about upgrading

you can't upgrade before you're there anyway

Edited at 06:43 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It's worth pointing out that everyone in your party will need to upgrade to the Premier Pass in order to get the single use Express passes after 4pm. The price difference between a Seasonal Pass and a Premier Pass is $240 (about £180) for the 2-park pass and $315 (about £240) for the 3-park pass. I'm not sure how many are in your group but for 4 people that works out at either £720 or £960 extra.

Admittedly, you get a lot of other benefits with the Premier Pass in addition to the 4pm Express passes so the extra might be worth it. Mind you, that means you don't get to stay onsite and the benefits that comes with that.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's worth pointing out that everyone in your party will need to upgrade to the Premier Pass in order to get the single use Express passes after 4pm. The price difference between a Seasonal Pass and a Premier Pass is $240 (about £180) for the 2-park pass and $315 (about £240) for the 3-park pass. I'm not sure how many are in your group but for 4 people that works out at either £720 or £960 extra.

Admittedly, you get a lot of other benefits with the Premier Pass in addition to the 4pm Express passes so the extra might be worth it. Mind you, that means you don't get to stay onsite and the benefits that comes with that.
It’s only me and my husband - we currently have 2 nights at HRH booked (at a cost of £615) for our trip in April, but are going back in September (staying at Dockside for 10 nights, though not a deluxe) so my thoughts were to just buy the AP outright, cancel HRH (as the cost of the 14 day tickets for both of us plus cost of HRH are around the same) to get express pass after 4, save in parking (thought we won’t have a car on our second trip), get the free HHN ticket and the 15% off merch and City Walk - so I think it works out better - even though I’m sad I won’t be staying at HRH!
sbchannel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
It’s only me and my husband - we currently have 2 nights at HRH booked (at a cost of £615) for our trip in April, but are going back in September (staying at Dockside for 10 nights, though not a deluxe) so my thoughts were to just buy the AP outright, cancel HRH (as the cost of the 14 day tickets for both of us plus cost of HRH are around the same) to get express pass after 4, save in parking (thought we won’t have a car on our second trip), get the free HHN ticket and the 15% off merch and City Walk - so I think it works out better - even though I’m sad I won’t be staying at HRH!
Yeah, if there's just 2 of you then it works out better getting the Premier Pass.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

just consider that, if you're buying outright, you'll only get a voucher until you redeem it at universal

you won't be able to use that voucher for free parking on your first visit (only when you have the actual, physical AP) and you won't get a refund or credit for parking

you'll also need to pay for parking if you had a 14 days ticket, but in your calculations, consider you won't get free parking on your first visit UNLESS you go after 6pm one day to redeem your AP, in which case parking is free at citywalk (after 6pm) except on HHN nights.

you also won't be able to purchase HHN tickets at passholder discounted price until you have the actual, physical AP

for your second trip, you won't be able to use your AP for hotel discount (well you will but it won't be worth it if you have bagged a Stay More Save more deal, which you probably have, as having a 10 days stay. Any stay of 7 nights or more, under SMSM rate gets better discount than the top discount offered by any AP)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
just consider that, if you're buying outright, you'll only get a voucher until you redeem it at universal

you won't be able to use that voucher for free parking on your first visit (only when you have the actual, physical AP) and you won't get a refund or credit for parking

you'll also need to pay for parking if you had a 14 days ticket, but in your calculations, consider you won't get free parking on your first visit UNLESS you go after 6pm one day to redeem your AP, in which case parking is free at citywalk (after 6pm) except on HHN nights.

you also won't be able to purchase HHN tickets at passholder discounted price until you have the actual, physical AP

for your second trip, you won't be able to use your AP for hotel discount (well you will but it won't be worth it if you have bagged a Stay More Save more deal, which you probably have, as having a 10 days stay. Any stay of 7 nights or more, under SMSM rate gets better discount than the top discount offered by any AP)
Yeah, but the cost of two Premier Passes is cheaper than the onsite stay. That's even before any savings are made regarding parking costs. So the free parking after the first day is an extra bonus, as are the free HHN tickets, discounts on food and merch, and the other stuff.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 27 Dec 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I went ahead today and bought x2 premier passes today. Great tip to go to City Walk after 6pm to activate to get the free parking next visit.

Overall the passes cost around £70 for both of them more than the original plan of staying at HRH and the current 14 day tickets, meaning we are currently slightly OOP but we will absolutely make that back with the free and discounted HHN tickets, parking and discounts on merch and food in the parks, and we won’t have to worry about the cost of tickets for our trip in September (which is already booked) and the bonus of express passes after 4pm.

Thanks for the help!