Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Dec 19, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
It would be very unusual for an American family to spend 2 weeks at Disney. US workers have much more restricted vacation time usually 3 weeks for the year and you are expected not to take it all.

A typical Disney vacation for a US family would be 3-5 days, maximum a week. I dont think you are therefore comparing the same thing but if you are you are right.of course the airfares are cheaper.
I don't think US workers are not expected to not take all their vacation time over the year (certainly friends I know out there take all theirs). It's just that if you asked for 2 weeks (so 10 days) off in one go, the answer would 99% likely be NO. Given the frequency & ease of domestic flights in the USA, most Americans would consider a "vacation" to be tagging 2 or 3 days onto a weekend.

I used to ski in Colorado each year & you invariably got talking to people on the ski lifts. The question of where are you from and how long you are in town for frequently came up. Americans could not believe it when we said we were there for a week. We then had to explain that it took us a full day each way to get to / from Colorado - the penny started to drop!

That said, I agree some of the ticket prices that Americans pay for the parks as walk-ups are crazy. This one area where us Brits do get a good bargain from buying our park tickets over here.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I don't think US workers are not expected to not take all their vacation time over the year (certainly friends I know out there take all theirs). It's just that if you asked for 2 weeks (so 10 days) off in one go, the answer would 99% likely be NO. Given the frequency & ease of domestic flights in the USA, most Americans would consider a "vacation" to be tagging 2 or 3 days onto a weekend.

I used to ski in Colorado each year & you invariably got talking to people on the ski lifts. The question of where are you from and how long you are in town for frequently came up. Americans could not believe it when we said we were there for a week. We then had to explain that it took us a full day each way to get to / from Colorado - the penny started to drop!

That said, I agree some of the ticket prices that Americans pay for the parks as walk-ups are crazy. This one area where us Brits do get a good bargain from buying our park tickets over here.
Having lived and worked in the US and my nephew still lives in Texas and works there in a sales job it was definately frowned upon in many sales jobs to actually take all your vacation allowance.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The only time I’ve found Disney US good value as a Brit is when the exchange rate was around 2 $ to the £ or decent 30-40% discounts.

Edited at 09:05 AM.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Where you stay Indian Shores? We stayed Barefoot Beach Resort last summer, very reasonable and very nice place, and we have booked for Xmas 2020 already. Also the best coffee I have ever had from the coffee shop just down from there.
We’ve stayed at Barefoot Beach a couple of times in the past but we now stay further up Gulf Blvd just before The Narrows.

Yes, DH in particular likes Indian Shores Coffee Co; a frequent visitor; so much so, no need for him to give his order on day 1 of each trip; they remember what it is!

One of their previous employees has also opened his own coffee shop, Southie, not too far away, just off Park near the Winn Dixie if you’re in the area.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Yes, our US friends & family are astounded when we say we’re there for 3 weeks, have already been over for 2 weeks earlier in the year, and will be back for another 2 weeks later in the year and will have a mini break in Europe somewhere plus a few long weekends to Ireland! 😎
Old 7 Dec 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

I hadn’t realised how unusual my DH’s company were (based in Texas - he works from home for them, but most of their staff work in the offices in Texas.) We’ve only ever taken two week holidays before, but his contract says up to 15 consecutive days - we weren’t sure if this was all days or working days (ie two weeks counting weekends, or three weeks just counting working days.) We only booked the hotel for two weeks, just in case, then he applied for the three weeks off for our Florida trip, and got it - big relief, and we quickly booked the rest of the stay!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Having lived and worked in the US and my nephew still lives in Texas and works there in a sales job it was definately frowned upon in many sales jobs to actually take all your vacation allowance.
I work for an IT company in London and there's lots of pressure not to take your holidays. The people who get the promotions and the transfers to the US are the ones who are in the office morning, noon and night and live only for the job.My cousin in Boston works for a marketing agency and she gets to Europe for 2 weeks every summer plus several ski trips through the year and she can work from home - and she earns almost twice as much as the same position over here!

These days it's as much the industry or the individual company as US v UK, I think. I'd love to find a job in my industry in London that expects their employees will want to have lives outside of work.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Yes, our US friends & family are astounded when we say we’re there for 3 weeks, have already been over for 2 weeks earlier in the year, and will be back for another 2 weeks later in the year and will have a mini break in Europe somewhere plus a few long weekends to Ireland! 😎
I'm a Brit and I'm astounded at that!
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I'm a Brit and I'm astounded at that!
Why?

PS, I forgot our trip to California over Easter each year 😃

Edited at 09:45 PM.
Old 8 Dec 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
AtLast
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Why?

PS, I forgot our trip to California over Easter each year 😃

Probably because unless you're retired it's rare to have both the time off and the money. Many people have the time but not the funds and vice versa. lol. I don't think think your lifestyle is representative of the average British worker and most people would be surprised to hear how frequently you travel.
AtLast is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List