Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Dec 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

No one should be out of pocket by jury service or only the wealthy will be able to do it and that's not right or fair.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
You can claim £64 per day if it is more than 4 hours plus your travel expenses and food expenses. That would be fine for my but DH earns a lot more so would be out of pocket which would be fine for a week but wouldn’t be great for a long period of time.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
No one should be out of pocket by jury service or only the wealthy will be able to do it and that's not right or fair.
It’s not a choice. You have to do it, like it or not, or potentially be held in contempt. There is an allowance as per above. So the poor and wealthy are equally liable to do it. They won’t accept excuses that you are not being paid.
If you get called into a long trial it can be a big problem but the judge will usually ask if it’s a long one if people will have issues with employment, no pay etc.

Edited at 12:30 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My dh is self employed and is out of pocket, he couldn’t believe how boring it is. I don’t have to do it on medical grounds, because I dont work I wouldn’t get anything!
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

If you have legal assistance on your home insurance, check that - some of them may pay out of pocket expenses.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
I’ve done it twice. Luckily paid by my employer.

The last time I was at the Old Bailey. Another set of jurors had been there on one trial for 3 months and were due to be there a couple more months ! If you weren’t getting paid I have no idea how you’d cope!
I visited the court whilst the Phone Hacking case was going on , I felt really sorry for the jury as it went on for months and a lot of the evidence wasn’t the sensational bits you read about in the papers but very dry about the technicalities of how they hacked.
When I did jury service I was temping and it left me out of pocket. I was very glad it was only two weeks and not longer.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mo&Chris View Post
If you have legal assistance on your home insurance, check that - some of them may pay out of pocket expenses.

/Mo
The court pay out of pocket expenses like fares and parking anyway so you couldn’t claim twice.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My OH recently did it and his company did not pay him. Add to that we had JUST bought our house so had the usual expenses. Anyway, there was one case that was expected to go for 6 weeks. He asked to be excused from that one mainly due to money and that was agreed. He then did another two cases but both only sat for a couple of days, so within a week he was excused properly.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The court pay out of pocket expenses like fares and parking anyway so you couldn’t claim twice.
Sorry, I meant what they would be out of pocket overall, as in lost earnings.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I hate to think of having to do jury service for months on end! I am sure I would fall asleep with boredom!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List