Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 19, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mlbolger
Very Serious Dibber

I don’t have private insurance but I do have it for both my children. I have paid it for 22 years for my eldest and 13 for my youngest and been lucky enough not to have to claim. My Youngest was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes aged 7 and my Gp told me not to bother claiming on the insurance as the care he would get on the NHS would be second to none and it has been amazing. If I claimed all of his clinics etc would have been in clinics much further away from home also. Darent cancel policy though!

Oct04 Villa Hampton Lakes, Nov05 QII Int Drive
Feb 08, Nov 09, Nov 10 Villa Emerald Isles
Oct 12 Disney Beach Club
Nov 13 Carribean Beach
Nov 15 Wilderness Lodge
mlbolger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:28 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
This is something I've thought about, whether just having some healthy savings is the way to do it. The only thing I'm completely terrified of leaving to the NHS is mental health.

Thank you for all the replies, I am reading them, and taking things on board

Husband got very cutting edge treatment for his lymphoma nearly 20 years ago (now the NHS norm) so he certainly gained from it, I had two varicose vein ops and a bit of minor gynae stuff, eldest son was seen quickly with ENT problem which prevented things getting to a state where he would have needed surgery so saved NHS money, younger two never needed it.
It wasn't an easy decision to give it up especially as I am sure the NHS is being eroded from within at the moment but that's all going to change now according to Boris. Hopefully.

Edited at 08:04 AM. Reason: Clarification
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Hubby got free Bupa with his job and added me at a reduced rate and it has been used frequently. When he retired (due to a stroke) the company he worked for offered free Bupa for life as part of his retirement package. Never a problem using it and highly recommend Bupa.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
Hubby got free Bupa with his job and added me at a reduced rate and it has been used frequently. When he retired (due to a stroke) the company he worked for offered free Bupa for life as part of his retirement package. Never a problem using it and highly recommend Bupa.
That's a fantastic leaving package, and will increase in value as you get older.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneypls
Imagineer

Mobile

Slightly off topic here.
My hubby has his own small business is private healthcare something he can look into for us?
Disneypls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Disneypls View Post
Slightly off topic here.
My hubby has his own small business is private healthcare something he can look into for us?
Potentially. Does he have employees? And is he a sole trader?

Even if a corporate scheme isn't available to him, he could look at individual cover, and it may be possible to record the premiums as a business expense.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneypls
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Potentially. Does he have employees? And is he a sole trader?

Even if a corporate scheme isn't available to him, he could look at individual cover, and it may be possible to record the premiums as a business expense.
Yes he has employers
Disneypls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Disneypls View Post
Yes he has employers
How many employees does he have?

He may be able to set up a corporate scheme - there are a number of ways he can do this, and he could extend it to his employees as an employer funded benefit - there could also be an option for the members to add spouse/partner and dependants.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have AXA PPP through work and have insured whole family. I have been very unfortunate health wise over the last two years and have used both NHS and AXA.

NHS is, as previously mentioned, excellent for urgent conditions. I was seen promptly for what was thought to be a heart related issue. After loads if tests and scans they confirmed it wasnt heart so when my GP was about to refer me to gastro, I took that privatrly as I knew it would be months waiting on NHS. I also have had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago through the private insurance.
My insurance also includes physio, mental health and a videoconferencing GP service.

Where it failed was about a year ago when I got referred by GP as I have bone growing on my skull in several places (osteomas). I had a first assessment and then a CT scan. The consultant then suggested we wait another 3 months and do another scan to see the growth rate. AXA refused supporting this, saying it was “monitoring of a condition “ (unless its cancer) which was not included in the insurance. It only cover initial diagnosis and treatment but not if it turns out to be something to monitor longer term. Went back to GP then who said they wont do anything / investigate why I have them.

Private insurance is great for conditions where there is a long wait time on NHS (used for my kids a few times).

My insurance also pays £500/night if I am an inpatient in NHS hospital and not using my insurance (which I successfully claimed once but the other time they declined it as I was only kept in overnight as a precaution and not for a treatment.

Edited at 02:28 AM.
Tigger71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Allan
Excited about Disney

Previously had BUPA with my current and previous employer and whilst I only used them once, they were good.
My employer changed to Cigna in April 2019 and I have just had a very bad experience with them for my 19 year old daughter resulting in me raising a complaint which is pending a decision.
Allan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List