Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
lovesdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile Career change - anybody done it?

I’ve worked as a nurse for nearly 20years... I’ve just completed my masters in advanced practice, have a good job but... I’m still feeling like I want a total career change... But to what I don’t know..
the current state of the nhs just leaves me disillusioned and as I approach 40yrs and still have nearly 30yrs til I pull my pension I wonder if there is more out there.
Has anyone had a total midlife crisis and changed career, and if you could change career what would you do?
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

I can totally empathise with you on this! I have been a primary school teacher since 2001 and in 2016, after gaining my headteacher qualification I resigned as deputy head with nothing to go to. I was so disillusioned with the education system and it’s ridiculous emphasis on data and results! I wanted to teach, not level and assess young children. I started up my own tutoring business and now work part time on a childcare college in a local FE college. Although still teaching in essence, it is completely different to my chosen career. My husband also resigned as a psychiatric nurse in the same year and is now self employed in property and garden maintenance. We now have a much better work life balance and am enjoying spending more quality time as a family.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

My perfect job would be driving a truck from coast to coast in the US or Canada.

Might be looking through rose tinted glasses.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Not the same, as I made my decision earlier and I didn’t have a career in the way you do, but I left my job in the civil service when I was 27. I’d been there a few years and planned on working my way up but became disillusioned with the managers I was working for and the expectation of taking on more work for less money. I went and trained as a lawyer. It was terrifying as we had a mortgage, in the first year I had to work 2 part time jobs and fly to Manchester and back 2 days a week for college and hubby worked a second job evenings and weekends. In 9 days time I’ll be 3 years qualified. I’ll never earn mega bucks but we have a fairly modest yet comfortable lifestyle, and I love my job. I’ve never looked back.
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

I spent 30 odd years doing electronic engineering in one form or another but now work for an airline checking people in and boarding them.
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I have sort of changed my career this year. Probably not to the extent your thinking of right enough.
I was a store manager , been one for 17 years. I worked my way up to being a training manager, an area support manager and tbh a general go to person if stuff needed done.
I still work for the same company, but I now have a field role. I’m a Compliance Auditor. I’ve got the security of working for the same company , with all my benefits and length of service , as well as still working with, albeit in a different capacity, people I have known for years. But it’s given me a new lease of life. I love it. I now work mon-fri. Will have xmas and new year off. ( woo hoo... don’t get that in store!). But I did have a small salary cut , but I needed the change and along with my car allowance I’m no worse off.

Edited at 09:46 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband was a joiner from leaving school (day release for collage) until he was 38. The winters were hard and the summers too hot so he did night school and did his degree & teacher training so a tough couple of years but it’s been well worth it.
There is a huge pressure on teachers but my husband thinks it’s child play compared to being self employed, finding work, quoting work, chasing money, working hard graft in all weathers, no holiday pay etc etc
Even with his planning etc it’s a lot less work and obviously no where near as physical.
He gets all the holidays off with our children. It’s been a big pay cut but the quality of life and family time has been priceless.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
... now work for an airline checking people in and boarding them.

Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mollysue
Helping Donald

I’m 52 and changed career path I’ve gone from accountancy to counselling. I love the challenge and learning again .
Mollysue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post

What a dirty mind you have🙄

🤭🤭🤭
JudgeJ26 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List