Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 08, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

My Mum & Dad Return from QM2 Tomorrow..

And look who else is going to be in Southampton!

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN BIDS FAREWELL TO QE2 ON MONDAY 2 JUNE 2008

Cunard Line today confirms details of the farewell visit of Her Majesty The Queen to Queen Elizabeth 2 in Southampton on Monday 2 June 2008. This is in recognition of QE2 leaving the Cunard fleet in November this year.

Cunard Line today confirms details of the farewell visit of Her Majesty The Queen to Queen Elizabeth 2 in Southampton on Monday 2 June 2008. This is in recognition of QE2 leaving the Cunard fleet in November this year.

The Queen will begin by touring the vessel and meeting many crew members, some of whom have served on board since QE2 entered service in 1969 and others who went with the ship when she was requisitioned as a troop carrier in the Falklands Conflict. Later she will attend a Reception and Lunch on board with 300 guests, including the former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher.

Both the newest and longest-serving female crewmembers will play a role in the visit. While on the bridge, The Queen will give a signal to Cadet Jennifer Haynes, who joined QE2 in April 2008, to sound QE2’s whistle to salute Cunard’s current flagship Queen Mary 2, which is also in port on 2 June and was named by The Queen in January 2004. Queen Mary 2 will respond by sounding her whistle in salute of Her Majesty’s visit. After disembarking, Her Majesty will be presented with 55 red roses by QE2’s Executive Housekeeper Roz Price Evans who is the longest-serving female member of crew; this is to mark 55 years to the day since The Queen’s Coronation.

The Queen will also meet nine QE2 Captains including Captain Peter Jackson who became Master of QE2 in 1973 and who took the ship to the Falklands in 1982.

QE2, the most famous ship in the world, and for 35 years the flagship of the Cunard fleet, was launched by The Queen at Clydebank on 20 September 1967 – forty years ago last year.

Since then the ship has travelled over 5.6 million nautical miles, more than any other ship; has carried over 2.5 million guests; has completed 25 World Cruises; and has crossed the Atlantic 803 times. She leaves Cunard service in November 2008 prior to starting a new life in Dubai as a first class hotel and entertainment destination.

Her Majesty The Queen has visited QE2 twice since the launch – on 1 May 1969, immediately prior the Maiden Voyage, and on 27 July 1990 to mark Cunard Line’s 150th anniversary.

Cunard’s President and Managing Director, Carol Marlow, comments:

“We are delighted and honoured that Her Majesty The Queen has chosen to visit QE2 to wish her farewell. Her Majesty has taken a close interest in the ship over the last forty years, having launched the ship, visited twice and reviewed the ship four times, including during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of D Day. I am certain this final visit will be a memorable occasion for all involved”.

Doug Morrison, Port Director, ABP Southampton, says:

“It's wonderful to welcome Her Majesty The Queen and Baroness Thatcher to bid farewell to QE2. This event, and the recent meeting of Cunard’s three Queens in April for the last time ever, have both highlighted the important role that the Port of Southampton has played historically, and will continue to play, as Cunard's homeport."

I'm not even sure if they knew about this when they left..I'v only had contact with them whilst they were in NYC but Mum never mentioned it!
What a homecoming they're going to have..i can't wait to go & meet them!
I'm due to pick them up at 10.30am so better arrive a little earlier i think!
Will update you tomorrow sometime!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 08, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
wow! nice of HM to come to meet your parents! LOL hope they had a fab time
Old 2 Jun 08, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

Well we didnt get to see Her Majesty but did get a great view of The QM2...Silly me forgot my camera so sorry I'v no pics at present!
Mum & Dad had a FAB time by the sounds of it all but they're a bit shattered so I'v left them to rest this afternoon...They've taken lots of pics so no doubt i'll be downloading them sometime soon so will post any pics of the ship for you to see..I for one can't wait...She looked absolutely HUGE docked in port today!

Like all of us they usually get a bit down at the end of their hols but as we're all going to Orlando & on The Magic in October, they are excited about that trip now!
They met a lovely American couple who shared their dining table, they are from Florida, Sun City, so it looks like we'll be fitting a visit to them into our itinary now!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 08, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread