Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Apr 08, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

Advice on Stateroom category

Okay all you seasoned cruisers - I really hope you can help me decide.
W e are a family of 5. last year did 7 day Western Carribean on Magic in 2 cat 7 rooms. As it happens our sons (16 & 14) hardly even looked out, never mind got the good of navigators verrandah. This October doing 4 night Bahamian, and saved money by booking 1 cat 7 and 1 cat 11 directly opposite, so don't know how that will be yet. Me being compulsive planner, I'm already looking at next Oct - well you have to if you want rooms together don't you? Anyway, phoned DCL and there is availibility for a cat 3 ! works out a bit dearer of course, but it will be our 20th anniversary next Oct when we go. Has anyone experienced a 1 bed suite before? how would it be for the 5 of us room wise? any comments would be greatly appreciated, and any stateroom number recommendations too.- also would you be expected to tip more by being in a suite? - not sure of etiquette.

Lisa x
LISAM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 08, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Sorry, I don't have any experience of a suite (in my dreams ) ... but personally I'd keep the two rooms (and just as importantly the two bathrooms !), so they can be as tidy/untidy as they want in their own space without invading yours... and spend the extra on some treats at the spa, a REAS package or champagne cocktails etc. for the anniversary celebration

I'd also wonder if you would truly get to enjoy the full benefits of the suite on a shorter cruise, with only one day at sea, and shorter daylight hours ? It is only 3 full days - that's half the time of the 7 night cruise (OK so its probably half the price too - lol) But just a thought ?

What about a cat.6 (open verandah) and a cat.11 opposite ? - your view will be the same as from the suite, from the ship.

Sorry if I sound negative but I'm just trying to look at every angle. When you say 5 of you , how old is the other person travelling with you (you mentioned your 2 DSs) ?

However, that said, if its your anniversary, and its what you want, then go for it - you may never get a better excuse !

PS. Tipping is not dependent on stateroom cat., but party size/ cruise length... however, you may well end up using room service more in a cat.3 suite, as I understand you get a more comprehensive room service menu ... but since rooms service tips are only a few $s a tray, then I doubt this cost would be that significant - unless of course, you never left your room.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 04:52 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 08, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

Yes I think you might be right about spending the extra on cocktails...
My daughter is 11 and prefers to stay in our room with DH and myself.
I was reading other posts about cat 7 rooms that were previously cat 6, and may try to get one of them and at cat 11 across the hall, though they probably go first. We were well aft last year and it was nice and quiet.
I know what you mean about 4 night cruise not being long enough, but I 've got the DCL bug now and it's 4 nights or nothing due to cost and the fact I persuaded my husband finally after 1o years to join DVC last year - and he's still recovering from the shock.
LISAM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 08, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I reckon that's good advice from Judy I'd personally try for a Cat 6 and 11 too, saving all that lovely money for cocktails
Old 29 Apr 08, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

Oh well, after all that, I have finally booked... 7 Nights Cruise to St Croix (how do you pronounce that?) One cat 7 and one cat 11 through Dreams Unlimited, and $125 per stateroom to spend onboard.
Thanks for advice

Lisaxx
Old 29 Apr 08, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Hi Lisa, that is great news.

Did you manage to snag a secret verandah room with your cat 7?
Old 29 Apr 08, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LISAM View Post
Oh well, after all that, I have finally booked... 7 Nights Cruise to St Croix (how do you pronounce that?) One cat 7 and one cat 11 through Dreams Unlimited, and $125 per stateroom to spend onboard.
Thanks for advice

Lisaxx
Great news - don't forget to treat yourself to something nice with the money you've saved

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 08, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

Unfortunately I didn't snag secret verandah room, but I am very excited. Oh and nervous because I havent told hubby yet - I had just got him talked into the 4 nighter - mind you I'll tell him it's his anniversary pressie - 20 years next October - the week we go.

Lisa x
Old 29 Apr 08, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Nevermind Lisa. You will have a fab time no matter what cabin you are in.

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary last year on our cruise too.

Happy planning.
Old 1 May 08, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
great news...happy planning!