Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 11 May 16, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobs
Trying for More Ears

Mobile Alamo standard sub , which vehicle is best to choose?

As above,

Upgraded to standard santa fe size.

Which vehicle in this class is best to choose from the line ?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
scoobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 16, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Usnewsrankingandreviwws.com.
List as follows.
Honda Pilot
Nissan Murano
Toyota Highlander.
.Santa Fe.
Ford Edge
Grand Cherokee
Kia Sorrento
Nissan Pathfinder
Dodge Journey.
Remember Santa Fe comes 2 ways.
1. SF sport more luggage space better toys.
2.Stanta Fe which is a 7 seater but regarded as better option as often in hire car lines top of range.
Old 11 May 16, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobs
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

So is santa fe the best choice looking at it?
scoobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 16, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
So is santa fe the best choice looking at it?
Best to do a little research. As previous poster said, there is a ranked list of mid size SUV's - most of confusingly, are classed as standard SUV's with Alamo.

The Santa Fe is ranked 5th in class by us news.rankingsandreviews.com so it's best having a look at their list.

You will need to decide what your own priorities are when choosing a hire car ie; luggage / passenger space / comfort / performance/ fuel economy and the list goes on.

Be aware that a couple of vehicles which Alamo have classed as a standard SUV are classed by the motor trade in the USA as compact SUV's - these include the GMC Terrain and Chevrolet Equinox - so if you want your money's worth you may wish to avoid these types.

I have a standard SUV booked for this Saturday and having looked at the stats and reviews I would be happy with either a Nissan Murano, Ford Edge, Nissan Pathfinder, Mazda CX-9 or a Santa Fe - in the highest trim level I can find!

Good luck, and don't forget, there's two garages at Orlando Internatinal if you can't find what you're looking for in the first.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 16, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Of all the choices, I would choose the Nissan PantsFinder last - due to its ridiculous whining CVT gearbox and the acceleration capability of a snail who has eaten too much :angry:

The PantsFinder is comfortable and a good size but the Ford Edge or Hyundai/Kia Sante Fe/Sorrento are better bets

I echo the concern of another poster who advises that Hire Companies tend to try to part you from your money by providing you with vehicles from lower classes

The Santa Fe, Sorrento, Edge, PantsFinder or Murano are Standard SUVs - the Terrain, and Equinox are definitely not

We have had the Ford Explorer and GMC Acadia as a Standard SUV but these no longer seem to be available for hire or have been sneakily re-classified as Full Size SUVs or Luxury SUVs - which they are most definitely not

duncanb or Mr Tom have a better handle on all of this than I and I expect they will contribute shortly

We now tend to go down the "bigger is best" route and hire land barges such as the Tahoe, Yukon and Expedition which are definitely full size SUVS but can be regarded as a bit agricultural in their road abilities

Edited at 07:41 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 16, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobs
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thanks for replies , appreciated

Not long to go now , the last 3 weeks have flown in .

Cheers
Old 12 May 16, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
roger the dog
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Northernson View Post
Good luck, and don't forget, there's two garages at Orlando Internatinal if you can't find what you're looking for in the first.
Ooh I didn't know that, on our previous two visits we've just gone to the garage across the road from the airport exit, where is the second garage please?
roger the dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 16, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobs
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I'm flying to sanford, have they got 2 garages?
Old 12 May 16, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
newstewart
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by roger the dog View Post
Ooh I didn't know that, on our previous two visits we've just gone to the garage across the road from the airport exit, where is the second garage please?
Garage A and Garage B

Virgin use A, but a 5 minute walk through the terminal takes you to B, which I found had a better selection of SUV's.
newstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 16, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
newstewart
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I'm flying to sanford, have they got 2 garages?
Only 1
newstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread