Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Jan 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MHM
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Every time I try to catch up on this thread it has grown by at least 5 pages! I'm finally on page 33, although by the time I press Post I expect it will be in the 40s.

I'll also be sad not to see any more of your reports, although I understand your reasons.

Although I've not been much of a commenter (sorry&#128563, I did follow a woman around TKMaxx in St Albans last summer because I wasn't sure if it was you and I was going to come over and say hello. In the end I decided I didn't think it was you - if it was, I'm sorry i didn't! Now I feel like a creepy stalker, perhaps I should go back to being quiet?

Now I need to read back through the actual trippie part and make notes on the things I was going to comment on.
MHM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparks1 View Post
I feel the need to point out that I'm not some crazy stalker type in case that's how I've come across. Maybe more the twitchy curtain neighbour type, perhaps? 😳 😂 But in a nice way, of course 😂
It actually isn't people on the site - heck if I wanted privacy I would never post and would certainly not write trip reports! I have never ever felt stalked here (or even seen the curtains twitching ) Probably more a fear of someone I know (or worse for O one of his friends!) googling either O's first name or our family name and coming across my posts here

I know I am very very strange

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Because I grew up with an unusual name, I swore I would never do that to any child of mine. But when I was pregnant I *toyed* with the idea of calling Poot "Peregrine" or "Valentine"...and R.C. wanted "Tristram" (if we'd called him that you KNOW he would have lisped ).
See I grew up as one of 5 out of 15 girls in my class in secondary school with my first name - and one of 10 who had the same middle name! So I didn't want top ten names for my two. But I also didn't set out for O to have such an unusal name! It really was a typo

Valentin (no e) is actually quite common here!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
It actually isn't people on the site - heck if I wanted privacy I would never post and would certainly not write trip reports! I have never ever felt stalked here (or even seen the curtains twitching ) Probably more a fear of someone I know (or worse for O one of his friends!) googling either O's first name or our family name and coming across my posts here

You'd never actually see the curtains twitching. I'm way too good at nosing to be caught 😂. I know exactly what you mean though. I've never written a trip report as I wouldn't want anyone from work to stumble across it. That said, I love reading other people's and will one day get around to it, I'm sure.

2008 - POR, 2010 - OKW & HRH, 2012 - OKW & HRH, 2013 - SSR, 2014 - OKW & HRH, 2015 - SSR, YCR & PBH, 2016 - OKW & Disney Dream, 2017 - OKW & PBH, 2018 - AKL
sparks1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post

I feel the need to point out that I'm not some crazy stalker type in case that's how I've come across. Maybe more the twitchy curtain neighbour type, perhaps? 😳 😂 But in a nice way, of course 😂
You have IN NO WAY come across like that. But your post made me laugh all the same.

Here in England we only have one neighbour - and from the window of our bedroom I can see through the window of his living room. I sometimes go up and check if I can see the glow of his telly (to see if he's home) - before I go and knock on his door. So I totally get the twitching curtains.

That makes sense! When we moved countries (UK -> France -> Germany -> France) we had professional movers as they were company moves. Was quite a shock when we did it ourselves one year after we were back in France from east of the city to the north! White vans and some very nice friends were involved! But it wasn't that far
I had to have "the professionals" for my move from America to Europe (because HMRC et al) - when I found out how much that was going to cost I divested myself of previously "necessary" items fairly quickly!

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Oh I’m the same now too. DH is very much like that and luckily it’s helped me to be the same. Why waste time doing things that make you unhappy?!

Luckily I don’t need a linked in account for my job but I would be the same. There’s about 30 people with my surname. It’s nice to be unique but it can be a bit tiring hearing “really? That’s a name?”. Nope just making it up for fun..!
I ADORE the history of surnames. There's a woman who works at (my) bank in a nearby town called Miss Greedy (it's on her nametag - the public knows). Miss GREEDY - the banker! I so much want to ask her about her name (It was a new one to me) - but I suppose she hears about it enough already.

Getting VERY curious about the surnames in this thread, now...FWIW, mine is a common Irish one.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MHM View Post
Every time I try to catch up on this thread it has grown by at least 5 pages! I'm finally on page 33, although by the time I press Post I expect it will be in the 40s.

I'll also be sad not to see any more of your reports, although I understand your reasons.

Although I've not been much of a commenter (sorry&#128563, I did follow a woman around TKMaxx in St Albans last summer because I wasn't sure if it was you and I was going to come over and say hello. In the end I decided I didn't think it was you - if it was, I'm sorry i didn't! Now I feel like a creepy stalker, perhaps I should go back to being quiet?

Now I need to read back through the actual trippie part and make notes on the things I was going to comment on.
I do love TJ/TK Maxx...but I've never been to the one in St. Albans (I hate parking in SA). But if you see a round, freckly woman with a strange accent at TK Maxx HATFIELD...come up and say hello (I park for free at Asda and walk ).

You don't sound like a creepy stalker - I always hope that I will run in to another Dibber on a flight, or at a theme park (and especially on the cruise) - but, as you know, the one time I actually ASKED a woman if she was on the Dibb - she looked at me like I was wearing the Scarlet Letter. So I don't ask anymore.

Lol...I wonder about that too, sometimes. "Poot - your mother is SO WEIRD."

See I grew up as one of 5 out of 15 girls in my class in secondary school with my first name - and one of 10 who had the same middle name! So I didn't want top ten names for my two. But I also didn't set out for O to have such an unusal name! It really was a typo

Valentin (no e) is actually quite common here!
I know, Mel. That's one of the reasons I toyed with the name - I wanted a Christian name for Poot that WAS a Christian name...in England, and America, and Ireland, and Norway - AND France. In the end I did what I originally planned - and named Poot after my late father. And that name is an actual Christian name - in every country in the West.

I hate having to argue with the French about mine..."But surely April is a MONTH of the YEAR - not a name."

"My parents were hippies - PLEASE just check us in to the hotel!"

Five out of fifteen were Mel! That's amazing! It's so funny, isn't it - the way names come and go. My nephew has three boys in his (kindergarten) class called Thor - and there are FOUR Freyas.

I once read that Oprah Winfrey has a typo name. She was meant to be Orpah (like in the Book of Ruth) - but the nurse spelled it incorrectly. Here's hoping your son is just as successful!

You'd never actually see the curtains twitching. I'm way too good at nosing to be caught 😂. I know exactly what you mean though. I've never written a trip report as I wouldn't want anyone from work to stumble across it. That said, I love reading other people's and will one day get around to it, I'm sure.
I'm way too good at nosing to be caught.

Old 15 Jan 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My Facebook is stuffed full of Debbie's and Sue's and Karen's as we are all still fans of our teenage crush and those were the names of the time so we are all close in age. Mine doesn't really date me as I was named after my Lithuanian grandmother and as it's a biblical name it waxes and wanes in popularity but never became super popular.
I always think it's quite strange that Diana never went mega popular as a name .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Mobile

April, what is funny about "the infant" is it started as a typo. Hey I thought it was so funny I stuck with it. I've used her name on other websites though. I probably shouldn't have because it's a unique name but at the same time I've used this form handle for like 20 years so it's not like I'm Anonymous anyway. Pretty sure I'm on YouTube under this also so you could easily see videos of me and obviously there's pictures of me on Cruise Critic and on my blog so I'm not sure that using my daughter's name really makes a difference. But for now she's the infant
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
My Facebook is stuffed full of Debbie's and Sue's and Karen's as we are all still fans of our teenage crush and those were the names of the time so we are all close in age. Mine doesn't really date me as I was named after my Lithuanian grandmother and as it's a biblical name it waxes and wanes in popularity but never became super popular.
I always think it's quite strange that Diana never went mega popular as a name .
I wondered about Diana, too - but perhaps people think it an ill luck name?

I think your name is one of the loveliest in the world...will you let me use it "in public"? As for popularity...I lived in a mostly Jewish neighbourhood for ten years - and it was probably the number one name for women. I think on my street alone there were six (though five families were Chassidic - so they used the Yiddish spelling).

But if you won't tell us your name...at least tell us your teenage crush! Mine were:

1. Minnesota Twins pitcher Scott Erickson (I stand by that one)

and

2. Stephen Pearcy (the lead singer of Ratt - you'll have to look him up if you want to mock me)

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
April, what is funny about "the infant" is it started as a typo. Hey I thought it was so funny I stuck with it. I've used her name on other websites though. I probably shouldn't have because it's a unique name but at the same time I've used this form handle for like 20 years so it's not like I'm Anonymous anyway. Pretty sure I'm on YouTube under this also so you could easily see videos of me and obviously there's pictures of me on Cruise Critic and on my blog so I'm not sure that using my daughter's name really makes a difference. But for now she's the infant
I've been watching the Vikings game from last night over the last few hours - and I've had a wander over to your cruise reviews - and then back to your blog. You skate/d competitively! I am MIGHTILY impressed.

When I get to reading those posts properly - where do you want me/us to comment? Feel free to link away.

R.C. called Poot "the sprog" until he was about five. I HATED that, but I think "the infant" is cute.

It's funny - for me (and OBVIOUSLY for DH as well) it took a goodly few months to think of Poot as (his name) - rather than just "the baby". Maybe it's like that for everybody...
Old 16 Jan 18, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Commenting on the blog is probably where I will be most likely to see it.

Also, let me manage expectations with "you skated competitively". My jumps are like half an inch off the ground. I did enjoy the adult synchronized team I was part of.

Here's my bronze level program. I had a horrible fall a few weeks earlier and was in a wrist cast for months.

Warning, turn down the sound. Lots of scratchy background noise.

We share our baby names as soon as we find out the sex, so she's had her name since like 16 weeks along, so while I call her the baby sometimes, I immediately thought of her as her name. My mother really doesn't like when I say "the baby" which is weird. She is the baby.

Edited at 12:56 AM.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List