Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Dec 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile House Renovation - Hide the pipes?

Our house is in desperate need of renovations, especially the kitchen and bathroom. Upstairs, the pipe work to the radiators is all hidden under the floor boards so isn’t really a problem, but downstairs it’s all exposed. Including some spots where it seems to appear from the walls at random!

I really hate it and think we should pay the extra money to have them all hidden either into the walls or behind the skirting boards, but DH always gets the ump when I bring it up and says it’s a waste of money.

We’ve not had anything costed yet, but has anyone else had this done, and would you say it was worth the extra cost? Was it really intrusive?

I’m just so fed up in living in the house that jack built. Honestly, I think the kitchen was put in around 1982. Think marbled red laminate work tops and brown chip board cupboards...horrendous!
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Not much help but pipes and wires drive me nuts
I did get a new kitchen though as DH wanted a TV on the wall only agreed if all the wires etc were hidden
Hope you find a solution
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’d hide the pipes if possible. We’ve done a full renovation on our house and all pipes are hidden where possible I hate exposed pipes!
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

The only disadvantage of hidden pipes is finding and fixing leaks if they occur.
But obviously hidden pipework is much nicer in terms of looks.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Most of the pipes are hidden in our house (built around 1988] but there are some exposed in the downstairs loo which drive us both mad. We’re having the loo changed soon and are going to get the pipes hidden. I wouldn’t do the work on its own, but it makes sense to get them hidden at the same time as the rest of the work.
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Microbore is easy to hide. Traditional 12mm pipes are hard. Plus a nightmare if a leak occurs on any size pipes.

We have a double run on the skirting in the lounge and no way could that go behind a 5" skirting as you couldn't get a fixing plus too much work to chop a 'pocket' out of the brickwork

My view is make sure they are on nicely spaced clips, stand 4mm proud of the board and gloss paint them to match the skirting. Takes ages but they don't catch your eye that way.

Wires though are banned!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
While you work take photos of where the pipes and wires are going so you know if you ever have to drill or nail anything.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Microbore is easy to hide. Traditional 12mm pipes are hard. Plus a nightmare if a leak occurs on any size pipes.

We have a double run on the skirting in the lounge and no way could that go behind a 5" skirting as you couldn't get a fixing plus too much work to chop a 'pocket' out of the brickwork

My view is make sure they are on nicely spaced clips, stand 4mm proud of the board and gloss paint them to match the skirting. Takes ages but they don't catch your eye that way.

Wires though are banned!
Oh dear, I think our walls might be brick 😬 is this going to be a nightmare?
Old 29 Dec 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I hate seeing cables and pipes that run along the walls, but it is perfectly normal to have pipes coming up from the floor to the radiators a few or so inches, and I personally think it's a complete waste of time and hassle putting them in the wall.

I put the plastic covers on my 15mm copper pipes and they look nice and neat.

Edited at 09:51 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by MsMinervaMouse View Post
Oh dear, I think our walls might be brick 😬 is this going to be a nightmare?
Ours are all under the floors, would that be an option? The issue for us was a solid floor in the hall but we’ve worked around it with the radiator pipes going under the breakfast room floor.