Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jan 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Surely if he “wants “ a holiday he needs to be funding it himself, not claiming benefits ?

Living at home he will get very little UC anyway , be better off getting straight Into work and funding a holiday later on.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Surely if he “wants “ a holiday he needs to be funding it himself, not claiming benefits ?

Living at home he will get very little UC anyway , be better off getting straight Into work and funding a holiday later on.

This indeed 👍👍

I don’t want my tax paying for a students holiday thank you very much
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
This indeed 👍👍

I don’t want my tax paying for a students holiday thank you very much
How do we know Bondy isn’t treating his son to the holiday? My DD is in uni and still comes on family holidays with us, which we pay for. Each family can decide for themselves how long they continue to do this.

His son’s UC would not be paid when he is abroad on holiday as he would not be actively seeking work so no tax payer would be paying for his holiday.

I agree that securing a job would possibly be a higher priority in the final year for most, but there may be circumstances where they could go on holiday before the start date of their job.

Edited at 11:59 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
How do we know Bondy isn’t treating his son to the holiday? My DD is in uni and still comes on family holidays with us, which we pay for. Each family can decide for themselves how long they continue to do this.

His son’s UC would not be paid when he is abroad on holiday as he would not be actively seeking work so no tax payer would be paying for his holiday.

I agree that securing a job would possibly be a higher priority in the final year for most, but there may be circumstances where they could go on holiday before the start date of their job.
That is not how I & others (who you decided not to pick on I notice) read the OP
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
That is not how I & others (who you decided not to pick on I notice) read the OP
I apologise that I used just yours, I don’t know how to multi link posts and yours was simply the one above mine.

However, it’s open to interpretation as I can’t see where Bondy said anything about the holiday and who was paying. I know Bondy often takes his adult children with him so I presume he pays.

My point being is we can’t really judge as we don’t have all the facts (as it’s not our business if his parents pay or he pays)

Generally though, he won’t get UC while on holiday. I completely agree that securing a job would be the priority but this doesn’t mean he can’t take a holiday too
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Can't say I ever felt I "deserved" a holiday just for being at university for 3 years, easiest 3 years of my adult life!

Anyway, graduate jobs are usually advertised from Spring in preparation to grab graduates usually starting late summer/autumn. I can't say it ever occurred to me to look into the rules of JSA, I did what everyone else did and looked for jobs while preparing for my exams/finishing off my dissertation. I landed my graduate traineeship in the May, finished university in the June and started in the August. Plenty of time for a break.

I really would be instilling the necessity to look for work prior to finishing exams rather than looking into JSA which should be a last resort if he hasn't found anything after graduation (even then I'd be telling my children to take on ANY job before going onto JSA). If he's not looking now and leaves it too late he could miss the boat, a lot of graduate jobs are available from one time in the year. I don't know his background but volunteering/part time work is also hugely important for gaining graduate employment, more so if he's doing a humanities based degree.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Can't say I ever felt I "deserved" a holiday just for being at university for 3 years, easiest 3 years of my adult life!

Anyway, graduate jobs are usually advertised from Spring in preparation to grab graduates usually starting late summer/autumn. I can't say it ever occurred to me to look into the rules of JSA, I did what everyone else did and looked for jobs while preparing for my exams/finishing off my dissertation. I landed my graduate traineeship in the May, finished university in the June and started in the August. Plenty of time for a break.

I really would be instilling the necessity to look for work prior to finishing exams rather than looking into JSA which should be a last resort if he hasn't found anything after graduation (even then I'd be telling my children to take on ANY job before going onto JSA). If he's not looking now and leaves it too late he could miss the boat, a lot of graduate jobs are available from one time in the year. I don't know his background but volunteering/part time work is also hugely important for gaining graduate employment, more so if he's doing a humanities based degree.
I'm a HE Careers Adviser and the whole 'graduate jobs are usually advertised from Spring' is nonsense. They're advertised ALL the time. At any one time our job portal will have 3-400 graduate jobs being advertised for immediate starts and a few hundred more for jobs starting later on.

I also disagree with the 'instilling the necessity' bit. Parents are the worst enemies of students/graduates when it comes to unnecessary pressure. I've had countless students in tears or suffering from anxiety etc because of the 'helpful' parents at Christmas.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm.with Bondy, let them have a holiday first, you spend your whole life working!
Yes definitely claim jobseekersx
Old 29 Jan 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
I'm a HE Careers Adviser and the whole 'graduate jobs are usually advertised from Spring' is nonsense. They're advertised ALL the time. At any one time our job portal will have 3-400 graduate jobs being advertised for immediate starts and a few hundred more for jobs starting later on.

I also disagree with the 'instilling the necessity' bit. Parents are the worst enemies of students/graduates when it comes to unnecessary pressure. I've had countless students in tears or suffering from anxiety etc because of the 'helpful' parents at Christmas.
Yep, when ds was looking there were lots of apprenticeships and a couple he applied for in October .
Didn't need them in the end but they did seem to pop up throughout the year
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Bet you’re glad you asked Bondy Lad!
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread