Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

The thing that makes me mad at the moment is breast screening for 50 and over, i currently have 2 friends that have tested positive for breast cancer and have undergone mamagrams, one is mid 30s the other is early 40s neither are over weight or smokers, and generally in good health except for the obvious recent diagnosis.
Sorry for the thread hijack👍

Colin
Old 14 Sep 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I got my letter today for screening, will have to ring for an appointment tomorrow and see how far in future it is.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I was expecting my first appointment as I turned 50 in April but not heard anything yet. I am not planning to go private and will just wait patiently.

I had a private ultrasound for something last year and it was sent to my GP so it is in NHS records.
I was 52 before I was called for my first one. I asked at the surgery when I was around 51 and they said there is often a delay of a couple of years because of the rotation (whatever that means!) and not to worry until I was 53 and still hadn’t been contacted.
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
The thing that makes me mad at the moment is breast screening for 50 and over, i currently have 2 friends that have tested positive for breast cancer and have undergone mamagrams, one is mid 30s the other is early 40s neither are over weight or smokers, and generally in good health except for the obvious recent diagnosis.
Sorry for the thread hijack👍

Colin
Hi Colin,
Sorry to hear about your two friends. Unfortunately breast tissue of younger ladies is very difficult to image with a mammogram because it is too dense to the point that it is often too difficult to see the early features of breast cancer.
The other thing Is that there is a careful risk benefit balance. The soft x-rays used to carry out a mammogram will potentially cause breast cancer in a very small number of patients whom are screened so it is important not to start it too early because of the cumulative breast dose over the years of screening particularly if the images are not good enough for screening purposes.

Edited at 09:24 PM.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post

I was sent a routine appointments in August so seems to be running normally in my area.Results came through quickly as well.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

In Aberdeen, DW had her appointment in Aug with no real delays.
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

I'm due my first routine mammogram this year as I was 50 in February.

My mum has had breast cancer twice and her sister died from breast cancer. Both of my sisters (one is my twin and the other is younger) have had annual mammograms since the age of 40 as they live in South Derbyshire. I'm in Staffordshire and even though I would go to the same hospital Staffordshire wouldn't let me have the same checks. I did try to arrange to go privately but my doctor made a right hash of it by lying on the paper work it all got very messy.
Old 15 Sep 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

I have annual (theoretically)mamogramms due to having had RT for DCIS. They should take place early August but every year it is a bit later. I should have appt for early October - doubt it will happen.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fissycist View Post
Hi Colin,
Sorry to hear about your two friends. Unfortunately breast tissue of younger ladies is very difficult to image with a mammogram because it is too dense to the point that it is often too difficult to see the early features of breast cancer.
The other thing Is that there is a careful risk benefit balance. The soft x-rays used to carry out a mammogram will potentially cause breast cancer in a very small number of patients whom are screened so it is important not to start it too early because of the cumulative breast dose over the years of screening particularly if the images are not good enough for screening purposes.
Thank you, why has nobody explained this, or they have and due to what they are going through, ive chosen not to listen.
Thank you again

Colin
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The 19th Sept is my 2 year anniversary of diagnosis of breast cancer. I am due a follow up appointment and a mammogram- not heard anything. I have rang and been told they are now doing telephone appointments and then mammograms... no suggestion of any dates. Very anxious but don’t want to ring and pester 😞 this pandemic has affected so many routine follow ups that really need carrying out.