Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Oct 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If you chose to cancel to get your Avios and voucher back on an original straightforward booking then the Avios should go back on to your account almost immediately and the 2-4-1 should follow (they are separate systems so no guarantee this will happen). If you cancel it is £35pp and this will be taken off from the amount of taxes, fees etc which will be refunded to the original form of payment. Please note that it is not possible at the moment to get this type of refund online you have to contact BA to arrange it.

As every single booking is different I suggest you contact BA and see if you qualify for a voucher (FTV). If you do then the full Avios and taxes are held on the voucher without the £35pp charge under the original booking reference. To book using the voucher again you have to contact BA tell them you want to book using the FTV - if it is under the present 50% reduction they will set up the flights, refund the difference in Avios to your BAEC and if there is any difference in taxes etc they will either ask for additional payment or refund the difference to the original form of payment.

Before you do anything check that there is availability on the days/flight you want to travel on bearing in mind that when you cancel the redemption availability does not automatically go back on to those flights.

I advise caution when doing this and go through it step by step before committing to anything.

Hope that helps.

Edited at 10:59 AM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
If you chose to cancel to get your Avios and voucher back on an original straightforward booking then the Avios should go back on to your account almost immediately and the 2-4-1 should follow (they are separate systems so no guarantee this will happen). If you cancel it is £35pp and this will be taken off from the amount of taxes, fees etc which will be refunded to the original form of payment. Please note that it is not possible at the moment to get this type of refund online you have to contact BA to arrange it.

As every single booking is different I suggest you contact BA and see if you qualify for a voucher (FTV). If you do then the full Avios and taxes are held on the voucher without the £35pp charge under the original booking reference. To book using the voucher again you have to contact BA tell them you want to book using the FTV - if it is under the present 50% reduction they will set up the flights, refund the difference in Avios to your BAEC and if there is any difference in taxes etc they will either ask for additional payment or refund the difference to the original form of payment.

Before you do anything check that there is availability on the days/flight you want to travel on bearing in mind that when you cancel the redemption availability does not automatically go back on to those flights.

I advise caution when doing this and go through it step by step before committing to anything.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so so much, this was fantastic. I’ve done the voucher, it’s saved me £70! He confirmed everything you just said and there is loads of availability on the new flights we want (plus we can be flexible with dates now as we have cancelled our cruise).

You can also use the voucher online with the companion voucher I am told!

Your advice was fantastic, thank you! x
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
Thank you so so much, this was fantastic. I’ve done the voucher, it’s saved me £70! He confirmed everything you just said and there is loads of availability on the new flights we want (plus we can be flexible with dates now as we have cancelled our cruise).

You can also use the voucher online with the companion voucher I am told!

Your advice was fantastic, thank you! x
Pleased to be able to help - that what DIBB is for. Hope you get sorted out for your next flights too.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Pleased to be able to help - that what DIBB is for. Hope you get sorted out for your next flights too.
Follow up question - do you know... will my companion voucher come back to my BAEC account or is it now included in my newly issued voucher?
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Follow up question - do you know... will my companion voucher come back to my BAEC account or is it now included in my newly issued voucher?

Everything is in your FTV as you would have originally used your companion voucher to use less Avios for your booking. Don't forget that the 50% off Avios offer only lasts till 13th October if you are wanting to take advantage of that.

Edited at 02:41 PM.
Old 9 Oct 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

When you put it like that, it’s absolutely worth it!

I just want to clarify though, does anyone know how long it will take for the avois to be refunded? And I do get the companion voucher I have already used for the flights I am going to cancel back, right?
I’ve cancelled a few over the last month or so. Avios and voucher have come back instantly. Taxes/fees normally within a week.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
I’ve cancelled a few over the last month or so. Avios and voucher have come back instantly. Taxes/fees normally within a week.
The booking I cancelled recently the Avios/voucher came on to my account immediately but because my booking was more complicated the BA staff advised that it may be up to 6-8 weeks for the taxes to be refunded.

Edited at 03:17 PM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Everything is in your FTV as you would have originally used your companion voucher to use less Avios for your booking. Don't forget that the 50% off Avios offer only lasts till 13th October if you are wanting to take advantage of that.
Ok, final question I promise! I am rebooked.

But does this sound right - 93000 Avios using a companion voucher and the sale for 2 off peak return business flights to Orlando?

I had worked it out as 62,500

- 250,000 Avios would have been the total
- Companion voucher takes that to 125,000
- 50% off sale takes that to 62,500

The lady was lovely on the phone and said it was complicated to work out as they have to do it in an Excel Spreadsheet, and she got the total as 93,000 Avios giving us a refund of 44,300 (from our original spend of 137,500 - 75,000 for a peak outbound and 62,500 for off peak inbound)

Did I calculate that completely wrong?
Old 9 Oct 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Ok, final question I promise! I am rebooked.

But does this sound right - 93000 Avios using a companion voucher and the sale for 2 off peak return business flights to Orlando?

I had worked it out as 62,500

- 250,000 Avios would have been the total
- Companion voucher takes that to 125,000
- 50% off sale takes that to 62,500

The lady was lovely on the phone and said it was complicated to work out as they have to do it in an Excel Spreadsheet, and she got the total as 93,000 Avios giving us a refund of 44,300 (from our original spend of 137,500 - 75,000 for a peak outbound and 62,500 for off peak inbound)

Did I calculate that completely wrong?
You’re totally right. Half the time they get it wrong! I learnt early on it’s a manual calculation their end and to question them when you think/know they’re wrong. Always be confident of your calculation before calling. Unfortunately it’s another call back to them to get it put right.

I upgraded a flight from business to first on Wednesday, as seats opened up. I was within the 24 hours so it’d be free. I called and she said it was 20k but it should have been 10k. She apologised and said she did it on a return.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

You beat me to it, this is what I was going to say.

Also, you get 1.5 Avios for ever £1 spent so you rack them up much more quickly.

I had the blue card for 4 years and never got to spend my voucher, had the black one for less than 1 and have trigged 1 companion voucher (when you upgrade, whatever you have spent goes towards your new £10,000 threshold) so I got it immediately as I was over that, my anniversary year remained the same (which is fine) as my year refreshed a couple months later and I’m nearly into my second one!

I also got 6000 Avios for upgrading, which they didn’t tell me about, but was a welcome surprise.

Completely worth the annual fee. Unless your anniversary date or when you get the voucher ties in with when you want to go on holiday, and is also around a year in advance, it’s too difficult to spend the blue voucher - I never found any reward seats I needed. Don’t have that issue now my voucher is valid for 2 years!
Thanks all. I am going to upgrade my card.
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List