Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Nov 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I need to read it (just stopped for lunch), but if they don't ask if I've been convicted of theft or fraud then why would I voluntarily tell them (there's being honest and then being stupid)?
Only answer the questions you are asked.

I feel sure, unless this is hypothetical, you have had an ESTA in the past?

Disney332
Old 18 Nov 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Only answer the questions you are asked.

I feel sure, unless this is hypothetical, you have had an ESTA in the past?

Disney332
Entirely hypothetical because I have obtained many ETSAs over the years and I have always answered honestly.

This might clarify the situation for some:

We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, have a criminal record, certain serious communicable illness, have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program, attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to US visa law and spent convictions,regardless of when they occurred will have a bearing on a traveler’s eligibility for admission into the United States.

Edited at 01:59 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I have actually been on shift a few times when someone was returned back from the USA for lying on their ESTA. I genuinely have no idea how the USA knew just that when someone is refused and has to be returned their is a way that UKBF have to deal with them so we got full disclosure from the US authorities.

I know that there are officers from Homeland Security embedded across in the UK but I doubt they have the time/capacity to check every single application so perhaps it was something else that triggered the ones I have seen, who knows!

People break the law all the time and dont get caugh, but then people do also get caught. It just depends if you consider the risk and knowing the consequences decide to take it.
sparklegirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Fairysparkled View Post
I know of people that have done time in their youth and got ESTAs. I have never known anyone to be refused. Unless it was for a serious crime or drug related what have you to lose. If you get an ESTA, they are not going to turn you away when you get there.
Not strictly true , there are people that’s been turned away at immigration

There was one on one of the orlando fb pages last year , his family was allowed in but he wasn’t

A ESTA will only be refused if you tick yes to a question , plenty lie and answer no when they should answer yes
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

There were people refused entry just from their social media posts.

UK and US share information on certain types of convictions and lots of people who lie are identified and returned every year.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I said I was arrested?
Did you? I didn’t think any of your posts said that?
My post says “ In your hypothetical scenario... ”

Edited at 11:20 PM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Did you? I didn’t think any of your posts said that?
My post says “ In your hypothetical scenario... ”
This is what my post said:

Let's say I was walking down the Road and the police arrested me because I fitted the description of a man who just committed a robbery nearby, but shortly after my arrest the police realised it wasn't me who committed the robbery and I was de arrested (it wasn't a cashpoint incident).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

My daughter had a friend at college who said when she was at school she was with a group of friends and they stole some make up from Boots. A silly juvenile mistake but she declared it, so she had to get a visa for a US visit. I think it's up to the individual, it it's going to stress them out in the run up to the trip then declare it.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

This is what my post said:

Let's say I was walking down the Road and the police arrested me because I fitted the description of a man who just committed a robbery nearby, but shortly after my arrest the police realised it wasn't me who committed the robbery and I was de arrested (it wasn't a cashpoint incident).
OK, lost me now on what your point is 😕
You asked a question about a scenario; hypothetical or real, I know not now.
I answered that I believe the answer is no.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
My daughter had a friend at college who said when she was at school she was with a group of friends and they stole some make up from Boots. A silly juvenile mistake but she declared it, so she had to get a visa for a US visit. I think it's up to the individual, it it's going to stress them out in the run up to the trip then declare it.
I guess it's a difficult one whether to declare it or not, but where someone has been found guilty of even a petty crime such as stealing make up then they probably should admit it, but in the scenario I gave (where I was innocent and the police arrested me as I fitted the description of someone who had committed a crime and then de-arrested me when they established it wasn't me involved) then I wouldn't mention.

It does seem unfair in the scenario I gave that despite being 100% innocent you are still required to tell them (causing you hassle).