Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Feb 17, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

What do you do...

If someone wants to tag a long on your family holidays and you were really looking forward to it just being your household?

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Say no and tell them you're wanting to just have some quality family time. I'd never let anyone invite themselves on one of our hard earned holidays.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

I would tell them the truth. If they know you well enough to want to come on your holiday with you then they should be understanding when you explain to them that you don't really want them there.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Say no ...

I've done the holidaying with friends and extended family and it's not for us ..

Some friends will be in Vegas when we are next month actually in the same hotel and I'm sure we'll have a meal together or sit round the pool for a bit but that's it .
I don't want to share my precious holiday time with others .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

I can't help feel a little guilty but I was very much looking forward to the family time. Our friends are going out the same time at the moment and we will probably meet up with them for a meal at some point or to watch the fireworks and that is fine. Our last holiday (whilst we still loved it) was with other family members and it was hard to incorporate everyones wants and needs. I'm looking forward to concentrating mostly on what the kids want this time.

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

We went away for our first family holiday with my parents too! But we loved it they stayed for 2 weeks and we stayed for 3 so we had a week just the three of us x
Old 7 Feb 17, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
This happened last year with my brother in law. At no point did I utter the words 'do you want to come on holiday with us' but after we told him what our plans were he came out with 'oh that's a good idea I'll come too' my dh just went 'yeah alright then' and that was that 😡 I then didn't have the heart to tell him no as he was excited & the kids were looking forward to him coming too. Same thing happened when we went Tenerife in 2012, we had a really tough year with me being seriously ill, having surgery, moving house, moving the kids schools and the Olympics meaning dh couldn't have time off work so went away in the November and dh just let Hil tag along. Needless to say he did my head in both times. We haven't mentioned to him that we're going back next year and I'll have words with dh if he does! We haven't had a holiday just us 4 in years as someone always tags along.

I think if you really don't want others tagging along then you need to be honest from the get go and dont sit back &!agree to everything like I did. It's your holiday and you could be able to go just you and your family!
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

If it was my parents I'd rather not go. Since I've had kids I've been on holiday with my mum 3 times, each time a big mistake. The first time it was just me her and the kids and I rang my hubby wanting to come home. The second time it was her and hubby, the kids and me, she was miserable the whole time and didn't like eating out, doesn't drink so didn't want to come to the bar with us, doesn't swim so didn't come along swimming with us and got my dad to collect her early, then told him he would have loved it so stupidly we booked for all of us. My dad joined in, came out for meals, came to shows with us, came swimming with the kids with us, came for a drink with us and she sulked back at the lodge the whole time. So absolutely NO WAY.
We did meet my penpal one year, she came from Wisconsin to meet us in Orlando, it was lovely meeting her but like when it came to where to go, where to eat etc it was a bit difficult. When she came down the only park she wanted to visit was seaworld so we had to arrange our itinerary around that.
So, I'd perhaps meet someone for the odd meal or something but definately not spend the whole holiday with them.
We like what we do and how we do it and to change it would perhaps mean we don't 100% love our trip as we always do.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Be honest - they might ruin your holiday if you have doubts now . I'd defiantly say no as its hard enough being with my nearest n dearest for 2 weeks + every day all day 😂 Let alone others
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 17, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post

We have been on holiday with friends many times. The first time we went with friends, they thought that because we had gone together we should stay together all the time, nightmare. We were just too different in our approach to a holiday. It always took them so long to get ready and if we said we wanted to leave at 9.00am they would still be faffing around at 10.00am. They were always looking for the cheapest way to do things, not wanting to eat in restaurants, they did not have a tight budget they just didn't like to spend money, even when on holiday.

What we had to do with the family was set guidelines explaining that we wanted to spend some time with them but that we also wanted to be on our own as well. So in the end we would have breakfast together, then meet again later in the day for the evening meal. We did spend a few days together but only if they were ready to go when we were. 17 years later we are still very good friends but it could have been different if we had not spoken out and been honest with them.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List