Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Dec 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone good with consumer law?

We bought a £1000 electrical device in March.
In July we found a fault. Informed the retailer by chat,which we have a copy of and they told us to go to the manufacturer.

Spoke to manufacturer who asked us to make sure that it wasn’t the other items in the house causing the issue. We changed said items at their recommendation.

Fault re occurred. We informed the retailer that we had gone though everything we could, changed things at a big cost and the fault was only occurring when we had this electrical item connected.

They told me to post it in. It was too big I couldn’t so had to wait a few weeks and drive 15miles to drop it off.

They sent it to a repair centre.
Did a soak test. Result was no fault found.
We sent them videos of the fault to try and help them to diagnose.
They sent it to a different repair centre. The same test was done and again no fault found.

At this time the repair centre emailed me “ To date we have not been able to create the same effect that you have shown in your video's.

At present we are trying different external items and settings in an effort to recreate the effect.

If we are not able to replicate the blanking effect we will replace the main pcb which processes
the data which should resolve the problem”

We get an email with the same message from the retailer also.

Two weeks later we are told that the item has been fixed and to please collect. So we drive 15miles to get the item. Set it all back up.
Within 36hours the fault is back

Call the retailer to tell them. Also ask them to collect as it’s difficult for me to get to their shop.

After a very long conversation we are told that no fault was found and no repair had taken place and that was that. Nothing else we can do.

I contact the repair centre directly who said that they understand my frustration and they will collect and now replace the item they already told me they would. They also asked if they could come to my house to view the fault which I have no issues with but as the fault is intermittent I couldn’t guarantee how long that would take. They said they would only have 1 hours.

I explained I wasn’t happy at all with any of this. That I believe under the consumer act I have given them chance to repair and they have not and I want a refund. The service centre understood told me to go back to the retailer but they would also come collect the item in a week if I didn’t get any further.

The retailer has taken the stance that although I had been lied to by them and the service centre that as there was no fault found on their tests then that was it.

I went to the manufacturer. They said they could clearly see a defect and would try to get me a code for refund. Apparently this was also untrue. They are starting an internal investigation to see why I was told what I have been.
All they can do is to send back to the same service centre.

I’m at a loss and don’t know what to do.
I have a £1000 item sitting upstairs not in use as it is defective. I have no problems at all when it is no connected.

I want my money back. I feel I have done everything I could. They had my device for 4 weeks, did not replace the item as they told me they would, didn’t even explain this to me when I collected just said it was fixed and now only want to send it back to perform the same “fix” they were going to do weeks ago. It has been terrible service on all parts and I just want rid of it and to not have to deal with any of these companies as I do not trust them.
Unfortunately the company doesn’t have a regulatory body so as I am soon to be at deadlock it’s either section 75 claim or small claims court.

Had they actually changed the component inside the unit and it still have been faulty I wouldn’t have been so mad. It’s that I was lied to and had my time and money wasted that’s made me want a refund and lose trust.

So if anyone know how to help that would be great.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
What is the item and what is the fault ?
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d stick them in small claims court...they’ve had long enough and you’ve been patient. They need to refund now.

How frustrated you must feel.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

My understanding is that if an item becomes faulty within 6 months of purchase it is deemed faulty from the factory and should be replaced for a new item from the retailer (with whom you have the contract).

However, I think things are different if you accept a repair? - personally I think I would be heading back to the retailer informing them that you notified them of the fault well within the 6 months and that the subsequent repair that you accepted in good faith has failed to rectify the fault, therefore you want a new item or a full refund.
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
That’s why I asked what the problem was and the item. If it’s a tv there are a lot of things that can affect reception. So the item would not be faulty.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

What is the item and what happens when you use it?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
That’s why I asked what the problem was and the item. If it’s a tv there are a lot of things that can affect reception. So the item would not be faulty.
It’s a soundbar

We bought a brand new tv as Sony said it was probably that and brand new hdmi cables.

We tried every which way to determine which of our devices were at fault. The only way was to disconnect the soundbar and no issues with anything. Connect it back up and we have a problem where the screen is flicking black and back on. It’s impossible to use the tv with it connected.

The retailer has taken the stance that as there is “no fault found” then they are under no obligation to do anything.
That although we notified within 6m and therefore the fault is deemed present at the point of sale they are saying this point it moot as they can’t find a fault.

I’m so cross. We get an expensive item as it’s a brand we are supposed to trust and that it will be a good product and for me it’s been sold not fit for purpose.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Why not use the optical input on the soundbar, connect all your devices to the tv with hdmi and then use the optical output from the tv to the soundbar.
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

For me it's the retailer responsibility (name and shame).
Alternatively if you purchased with a credit card you can go back via them.
Item clearly "not fit for purpose".
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
I have installed thousands of TVs and if it was me I would set it up as my previous post. I only see a very few TVs faulty out of the box, you might need a professional to come and check it out for you and set it up. I don’t mean the delivery men setting it up they haven’t a clue.