Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Feb 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile Books for a 14 year old girl

Hi,
Following on from Mr Morrow’s thread. My youngest daughter is 14 and loves reading. She is a very good reader but is finding it difficult to find books she is interested in. She’s not a girly girl and doesn’t like usual teen girl books. When she was a little younger she liked the beast quest series and similar. She likes vampires, action type, mythical type novels.

Can anyone suggest any authors or books that we could have a look at?

Thank you.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials Trilogy hands down

Otherwise the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead for pure vampire stuff, or the Rogue Agent series by K. E. Mills for something a bit more fantasy
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Has she tried the Darren Shan books (Cirque du Freak vampire series is the best)? I loved them growing up and would quite happily read them again as an adult. Just don’t watch the film!

Also the Saga of the Noble Dead is a series I go back to now and then, although I admit to giving up a few books in. They’re by Barb Hendee and are for adults but there’s no adult content in them (there’s hints of a sexual scene way on in the series but twilight is more sexual)
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Anne mccaffrey the dragon books I loved them from about age 12 right through to adult.
Some of the ship books would also work although there are some of the books which are a bit more adult
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Has she read any of the Cassandra Clare books (infernal devices saga, immortal instruments saga and the dark artifices)
They are really good. My daughter really enjoyed them and so did I to be honest.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Philip Reeve - Mortal engines (and the following books) - a very unconventional and in some ways quite unlikeable female lead character.
Bartimaeus trilogy
Old 11 Feb 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

My almost 14 year old son likes fantasy, sci fi and dystopian future type stuff. He is currently reading the Arc of a Scythe triology (Neal Shusterman), just finished the extinction trials (can't remember the author). Has previously read all the Rick Riordan books and LOVED the Maze runner books. He has also enjoyed the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, Mortal Engines, The Curious incident of the dog in the night time (totally different from his usual preferences).

If she is ready for adult books I recently read Let the right one in and a couple of years ago 'Fevre dream' (George R R Martin) which are both vampire stories but they may be too old, Let the right one in discusses child abuse and can be occasionally gory. I also love Stephen King but personally would have found some of his books too scary at her age.

For something completely different I recently read 'The hate u give' which is a young adult book but I enjoyed it a lot. There is a lot of swearing in it if that bothers you/her.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Derek Landy - Skullduggery the skeleton detective! I had to read them myself to see what my DD was on about, they are quite graphic at times, but also humerous.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

What about the Twilight books?
Old 12 Feb 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Garth Nix - Abhorsen trilogy.