Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Nov 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Oil Heating vs LPG vs ASHP

We are in the early stages of looking to replace an oil fired central heating system and initially we were investigating the pros/cons of replacing this with LPG.

However, our research has brought up the possibility of installing an air source heat pump which is a greener alternative and qualifies for the Renewable Heat Incentive scheme. We will not be combining this with solar panels as the pay back time is too high and for the same reason, a ground source heat pump is also not an option.

Whatever system we opt for, there will be underfloor heating downstairs and radiators upstairs and we are aware that radiators need to be larger with an ASHP.

We are very much newbies with any of these three heating options so we would be very grateful to hear of any Dibbers experiences of either oil, LPG or air source heat pumps.

In particular we are concerned about how much noise an ASHP makes and whether it is efficient enough not to need too much extra electricity as that impacts on the cost savings and hence our decision.

If it makes any difference, we are in Kent.

Debra
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We looked into an ASHP when we had to replace our oil boiler last year and decided against it all. Our house is 1970 vintage with suspended floors and air bricks downstairs and both our builder and my niece who works for a green energy company said not to. The reasons they both gave were that our house was designed to be ventilated and therefore system of underfloor etc wouldn't be enough to keep it warm as houses that are designed today for that type of heating are sealed up. However if we were building from scratch then definitely we would go for ASHP. Some of the new builds (individual not estates) had that system and they were lovely, no rads downstairs and apparently very quiet - well we couldn't hear anything even outside. Another thing that put us off was the fact that you still need a booster for hot water or else you run the risk of something like legionaires in the water.

Our new oil boiler is a condensing one (old was over 40years so anything was an improvement). We also changed to an unvented hot water cylinder at the same time. We have also had a couple of new rads, actually smaller than before, new windows and new thick carpets and underlay so our house is quite toasty. We are using approximately 30-40 litres a week which we are happy with. No idea what the old one was using as the gauge on the tank was faulty!

Hope that makes sense, very much a laymans memory of it all a year ago, sure someone else will have much better information.

To add we also looked at LPG as a company was offering a free tank but we couldn't have it underground and we were tied to them for, I think, 15 years not able to shop around!

Edited at 11:58 AM.
parisdisneyfan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We are in the prelim stages of buying a plot of land with PP and have been looking at ASHP's too (in combination with a MVHR system maybe). I have too read you can't just have an ASHP as it won't be enough for hot water, so you can get a solar thermal system too. We are trying to get our house as eco friendly and off grid as we can. It's a total minefield!

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

In my new home have a biomass boiler through a community heating system (topping up like a combination in my own flat) it is situated in my utility room and I can hear with then the door is open but only just - not tried it in cooling mode yet (draws form deep level tunnels under Clapham (apparently ) ) - its takes a while to get used to the slow burn of underfloor and isnt as responsive as gas but boy its incredibly cheap to run and so much better for the environment than gas. I now leave it on 24/7 as each room as it owns electronic thermostat to tweak. Overdoing factor agains is that is only an apartment (albeit by London standards are a very large one) unlike your house but loving underfloor feel of heat on my feet.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

I was under the Impression that ASHP would require you to replace your radiators for much larger ones !

I understand that ASHP is ideal for underfloor heating !

I always thought ground source heat pump had the advantage of not requiring the noisy fan units but I guess at the disadvantage of higher installation costs upfront !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Thanks to everyone who has replied, especially Julia (parisdisneyfan) as a layman's perspective is exactly what we are looking for. Talk to the individual oil, LPG or ASHP suppliers and their product is the best thing ever so we end up more confused than before.

For context, this isn't a new build, it's a refurbishment of a 1917 property hence our reservations about the effectiveness of the ASHP with a building designed to 'breathe' and a mixture of suspended and solid floors.

More research is needed and any other advice gratefully received.

Debra