Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Oct 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

First Trip to DLC

We are looking at taking a trip to DLC in February for hubby's 50th. We would be looking to just visit Disney.

Can anyone recommend accommodation? Not too far away as we'd like to be within walking distance. And flights, we are based in Wakefield, can we only fly from London?

I'm so used to planning for Florida I'm just a bit stumped on where to start

WDW - 2005, 2010, 2014, 2018
DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

How long are you planning on going for? Most people I’d say do between 2-5 days in the disney parks as there is only two of them and they are next door to each other.

I wouldn’t go all that way and just do disney, but it is personal choice. I’d have a look at the disney good neighbour hotels in the Anaheim area, there are lots of nice ones within walking distance to the parks.

We are looking to go next year and are planning on 4 nights in Anaheim in a hotel within walking distance to the parks before moving on to the next location.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

We were looking at just 7 nights, I know it's a long way but we were planning on doing the Northern Lights but price wise DLC is cheaper!

Only probably looking at doing the parks for 3 or 5 days but not full days as I can't cope on my feet for that length of time.

I've been looking and Hilton Anahiem looks good, reviews, price etc and that gives us the extra hours.

Is it possible to book direct with Disney for hotel, flights and tickets like WDW or not?

DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Stitch73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

There are a whole range of off-site hotels near Disneyland ranging from cheap motels to rather more expensive newer hotels. Essentially the history behind this is that when Disneyland was built, a lot of cheap motels sprung up within walking distance, but over time a number of these cheap motels have been demolished with nicer motels/hotels being built in their place... And a number of the motels have also had refurbishments making them nicer too!

I was looking at the Hilton Anaheim last year and it seemed decent, though a little further from the parks than some other alternatives I was looking at. Was very tempted by the Residence Inn Anaheim and the Hyatt House. Ended up booking the off-site bit of my stay at the Fairfield Inn Anaheim for the proximity factor.

Not sure what you mean by Hilton Anaheim giving the extra hours though? As far as I'm aware the only hotels with access to EMH every day (at either Disneyland or DCA) are the Disneyland on-site hotels. Other guests get access to one Magic Morning (only on some days of the week - i.e. when Disneyland has EMH) if they have a 3 day or longer ticket - this isn't tied to which hotel you stay at.
Old 11 Oct 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I stayed at the Hilton Anaheim last year, just for one night.

It is a massive hotel, absolutely full of conventioneers which (personally) I’m not so fond of when I’m on holiday.

The lifts were a nightmare, too many people and not enough of them. We were on the top floor and they were full before we even got halfway down. Some people squeezed in on floor three claimed they’d been waiting twenty minutes

The member of staff booking me in was quite rude which wasn’t a great start.

There are closer options.

Other than that, standard Hilton product really, I would look elsewhere next time.
Old 11 Oct 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I also stayed at Hilton Anaheim for my first visit. It was very average and about 15 mins walk from the park (which was a drag at the end of the day!). We’re going to DCL again in March and we’re staying at Best Western Plus Park Place. It’s right across the road from the park entrance. It’s not luxury but it’s an ace location.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
I also stayed at Hilton Anaheim for my first visit. It was very average and about 15 mins walk from the park (which was a drag at the end of the day!). We’re going to DCL again in March and we’re staying at Best Western Plus Park Place. It’s right across the road from the park entrance. It’s not luxury but it’s an ace location.
Ha! We stayed here before and much preferred it to the Hilton - how funny

As you say, not luxury but perfectly fine.

Have you also stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walnut or the Peacock Suites?! If so that would be REALLY weird as those are the other ones we’ve stayed at.
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch73
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Not sure what you mean by Hilton Anaheim giving the extra hours though? As far as I'm aware the only hotels with access to EMH every day (at either Disneyland or DCA) are the Disneyland on-site hotels. Other guests get access to one Magic Morning (only on some days of the week - i.e. when Disneyland has EMH) if they have a 3 day or longer ticket - this isn't tied to which hotel you stay at.
Sorry misread the EMH

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post

Have you also stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walnut or the Peacock Suites?! If so that would be REALLY weird as those are the other ones we’ve stayed at.
Someone has just recommended the Peacock Suites, but looking at Fairfield just for it's location!

DLP - 2008, 2009,2017
DLC - 2020, 2023,
Old 11 Oct 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post

Haha, not yet... seems we have some catching up to do
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch73 View Post
Sorry misread the EMH

Someone has just recommended the Peacock Suites, but looking at Fairfield just for it's location!
We ended up at the Peacock Suites because our plans changed at the last minute, and for various reasons all hotels in the area were very expensive (compared to usual prices) and Peacock was affordable.

The location wasn’t amazing compared to other hotels but it was walkable at just over a mile.