Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jan 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MissJRabbit
Excited about Disney

We had 5 day hoppers and loved having more days so we could take it easy. We ended up arriving around 10/11am most days, 2pm on one day and staying until close. We would go back to our hotel each afternoon for a rest or to get dinner then headed back to the parks. We went in October and it was fairly busy. My mum went November between Halloween and Christmas season, which meant no normal parade and no fireworks and it was super quiet. They had 2 days and found that enough, but they didn't do any shows/parades etc.
MissJRabbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MissJRabbit View Post
We had 5 day hoppers and loved having more days so we could take it easy. We ended up arriving around 10/11am most days, 2pm on one day and staying until close. We would go back to our hotel each afternoon for a rest or to get dinner then headed back to the parks. We went in October and it was fairly busy. My mum went November between Halloween and Christmas season, which meant no normal parade and no fireworks and it was super quiet. They had 2 days and found that enough, but they didn't do any shows/parades etc.
I went for the longer passes
I assume in the summer they will be full on parades and fireworks
Old 5 Jan 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
We are going Aug(plus it’s SW convention) but it’s go then or not at all. If i had known I would planned accordingly but can’t change my internal flights! I’ve put a post up here awhile ago and the general consensus is Anaheim will be busy but on the days of the convention the ppl should be there - not in the parks(let’s hope it’s right).
Oh I remember that post, ah that was you August should be the same as when I go. The main park should open at 8am and close at midnight. California Adventures should open at 9am and close at 10pm

The hotels in the area will be busy, but during the day the convention people will be at the convention centre. You probably could see an increase in crowds in the evening time.

Can you book Catina on website? Is it worth it?
Yes you can book Ogas Cantina on the Disneyland website and on the App.

Is it worth it, is very subjective. To me its amazing and I did 2 visits on on summer 2019 trip. I'm going to lay out the facts and you can decide for yourself.
  1. Its like walking into one of the Cantina scenes in the Star Wars films. Its loud, its small and there is a lot of hustle and bustle
  2. There is a 2 drink per person limit and a maximum time of 45 minutes
  3. Its mainly a standing bar. People stand at the bar and there are 2 rows of standing tables. Space is a premium and you will share a table and be very close to other people at the bar and the other standing tables.
  4. To add to the atmosphere, there is an animotronic DJ who plays Star Wars themed music. He is an an alcove in one of the walls.
  5. There are a few seated booths, but these are extremely hard to get. Expect to stand.
  6. The drinks are Star Wars themed and both the alcoholic and non alcoholic have special effects. All the drinks are pre mixed, so you can not order off menu, or ask for an ingredient to be substituted or removed. They have limited plain drinks.
  7. There is no food, only Star Wars themed bar snacks, which may not be to everyones taste.

Procedure For Ogas Cantina
  1. Get ADR
  2. Check in with CM at Ogas who has a tablet at your ADR time
  3. Join the line for the host stand
  4. At the host stand you will be asked how many in your party. If you are solo or a party of 2, 3 or 4 you will be grouped with other people. The host will give you a menu and bring you to your assigned space. Your assigned space can be at the bar, at a standing or at a booth, it is random and just depends on the next available space. You can request a seated booth at the host stand, HOWEVER you will have to wait for the next available booth.
  5. Once you arrive at your assigned space, a server or bar tender will appear to take your order. I usually order both drinks at the same time.
  6. The server or bartender will then bring your drinks and you will be asked to pay.
  7. The 45 minutes time is measured from the time on your drinks receipt.
  8. There are reports of servers telling people your 45 minutes is up.
  9. Once you get your assigned space you have to stay there. If you leave your space they will assume you are gone and will assign someone else your space. When I was there, when I was finished my drinks and had paid, I then went for a walk around and took photos.

It is not a very kid friendly place. The standing tables are high, I'm about 5 foot and it was just ok for me. I got assigned a space at the bar for my second visit and it was a much better level for me. Most kids sit on the floor at their parents feet, bored and playing on phones.

Its a bit marmite. People either really really love Ogas Cantina or really don't
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Oh I remember that post, ah that was you August should be the same as when I go. The main park should open at 8am and close at midnight. California Adventures should open at 9am and close at 10pm

The hotels in the area will be busy, but during the day the convention people will be at the convention centre. You probably could see an increase in crowds in the evening time.

Yes you can book Ogas Cantina on the Disneyland website and on the App.

Is it worth it, is very subjective. To me its amazing and I did 2 visits on on summer 2019 trip. I'm going to lay out the facts and you can decide for yourself.
  1. Its like walking into one of the Cantina scenes in the Star Wars films. Its loud, its small and there is a lot of hustle and bustle
  2. There is a 2 drink per person limit and a maximum time of 45 minutes
  3. Its mainly a standing bar. People stand at the bar and there are 2 rows of standing tables. Space is a premium and you will share a table and be very close to other people at the bar and the other standing tables.
  4. To add to the atmosphere, there is an animotronic DJ who plays Star Wars themed music. He is an an alcove in one of the walls.
  5. There are a few seated booths, but these are extremely hard to get. Expect to stand.
  6. The drinks are Star Wars themed and both the alcoholic and non alcoholic have special effects. All the drinks are pre mixed, so you can not order off menu, or ask for an ingredient to be substituted or removed. They have limited plain drinks.
  7. There is no food, only Star Wars themed bar snacks, which may not be to everyones taste.

Procedure For Ogas Cantina
  1. Get ADR
  2. Check in with CM at Ogas who has a tablet at your ADR time
  3. Join the line for the host stand
  4. At the host stand you will be asked how many in your party. If you are solo or a party of 2, 3 or 4 you will be grouped with other people. The host will give you a menu and bring you to your assigned space. Your assigned space can be at the bar, at a standing or at a booth, it is random and just depends on the next available space. You can request a seated booth at the host stand, HOWEVER you will have to wait for the next available booth.
  5. Once you arrive at your assigned space, a server or bar tender will appear to take your order. I usually order both drinks at the same time.
  6. The server or bartender will then bring your drinks and you will be asked to pay.
  7. The 45 minutes time is measured from the time on your drinks receipt.
  8. There are reports of servers telling people your 45 minutes is up.
  9. Once you get your assigned space you have to stay there. If you leave your space they will assume you are gone and will assign someone else your space. When I was there, when I was finished my drinks and had paid, I then went for a walk around and took photos.

It is not a very kid friendly place. The standing tables are high, I'm about 5 foot and it was just ok for me. I got assigned a space at the bar for my second visit and it was a much better level for me. Most kids sit on the floor at their parents feet, bored and playing on phones.

Its a bit marmite. People either really really love Ogas Cantina or really don't
Aww thank you for your detailed response. Mmmm maybe my youngest won’t like it! Do we all have to order drinks as in it’s really only my DH who likes SW so don’t want to be paying extortionate amounts for the kids and a) they won’t b wowed with them and b) they may not like them and worse not drink it
Old 5 Jan 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Aww thank you for your detailed response. Mmmm maybe my youngest won’t like it! Do we all have to order drinks as in it’s really only my DH who likes SW so don’t want to be paying extortionate amounts for the kids and a) they won’t b wowed with them and b) they may not like them and worse not drink it
You are welcome. With Ogas Cantina and Galaxys Edge in general, its about managing expectations, as its a very different experience to what people know and expect in Disney parks.

No you don't all have to order drinks. The cheapest, most regular type non alcoholic drink is Jabba Juice which is Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Cantaloupe juice and Blueberry popping pearls. It cost $6. I got this and it just tastes like fruit juice.

Just be aware that the kids might not like the atmosphere, or being close to people, and depending on their heights might not be able to reach the table. Also while DJ REX the animontronic DJ is cool, the kids might not be able to see him and they can't just sit on the ground in front of him, as there are servers walking up and down with trays of drinks.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
You are welcome. With Ogas Cantina and Galaxys Edge in general, its about managing expectations, as its a very different experience to what people know and expect in Disney parks.

No you don't all have to order drinks. The cheapest, most regular type non alcoholic drink is Jabba Juice which is Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Cantaloupe juice and Blueberry popping pearls. It cost $6. I got this and it just tastes like fruit juice.

Just be aware that the kids might not like the atmosphere, or being close to people, and depending on their heights might not be able to reach the table. Also while DJ REX the animontronic DJ is cool, the kids might not be able to see him and they can't just sit on the ground in front of him, as there are servers walking up and down with trays of drinks.
Fab thank you they are pretty good kids and just go with the flow and tbh 45 mins isn’t a long time is it(not in a Disney day )
Old 8 Jan 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

i have looked at tickets and decided that when we are there (31oct-4thnov) we will get 4 days non hopping. To add hopping was exceptionally expensive. two days each park seems ample. we will probably max pass too, but not sure yet. Need to check value.

Looking at last year's opening times, Disneyland was till open until midnight which i find amazing. CA was open until 9 - again, I find that incredible.

So we will have plenty of time to take it all in and not worry too much about popping to the shopping outlet for an evening.
Vertigo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
wheety1621
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Is there not WiFi in Disney California? I normally just have airplane mode on and use WiFi in America?
wheety1621 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wheety1621 View Post
Is there not WiFi in Disney California? I normally just have airplane mode on and use WiFi in America?
WiFi in Disneyland California is very unreliable. It is not park wide. There are a few good hotspots but in general I would usually not use my phone at all in Disneyland. I used to be like you, keep my phone on airplane mode and just use free Wifi. But unfortunately now in Disneyland California, anyone who wants to use Maxpass or mobile ordering, as well as check wait times and all the other free features on the App, really needs a data package.

In 2019, after 10 years of keeping my phone on airplane mode and just using free Wifi, I finally bought an American SIM card. Having data and being able to use the App was amazing
Old 9 Jan 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

I'm cutting down for 3 days (one would only be a half day visit anyway) to 2 days to save money. We visit Disneyland Paris often and have had long visits to WDW 2017 & 2019.
We'll have one long day in each park and are going to focus on the things are unique to California, we'll have maxpass too which will help.
Rides like Dumbo & Peter Pan are nice and all but we'll just wave as we walk by this time.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List