Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jan 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Watching this as we are planning to convert our double integral garage into the kitchen diner/family room with a utility and replace the current 40 year old galley style kitchen! We also need to add an extension to replace the leaky conservatory so we have been quoted around £30-40k to do both.

That includes the getting rid of the existing conservatory, new extension, raising the floor throughout, windows and doors, either a flat roof with lantern or pitch roof with veluxes on the new bit, demolishing the adjoining wall to current conservatory, dry lining the garage area, plastering, new steels, stud wall to make utility, new garage doors, bricking up old garage door and making new entrance to back garden, making new doorway from house and leaving water and power ready to fit the kitchen. We will have to get building regs but don't need pp. We are using an architectural technician to do all the plans and do all the applications for us. We had planned to use him even before we knew the conservatory wasn't worth keeping as we have never done anything like this before!

Good luck with it all!
I would like to replace our conservatory with an extension but need the foundations dug deeper as they are only 750mm and need to be a minimum of 900mm. That is what’s making it so expensive. Have you already got 900mm footings or does your quote include digging them out?
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
I would like to replace our conservatory with an extension but need the foundations dug deeper as they are only 750mm and need to be a minimum of 900mm. That is what’s making it so expensive. Have you already got 900mm footings or does your quote include digging them out?
Is this new extension going to be the same size as the old conservatory? What is the new extension going to be used for? It might be possible to convert the old conservatory into the living space you need.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fairysparkled View Post
If you are not extending the floor space of the property you should not need planning permission and it can be done under permitted development. I would imagine your husband could fit the window himself. Also the stud work and plasterboarding, any doors that need hung, skirting. architrave. He could also do the labouring for the other trades. Buy the materials yourself and just pay for the labour. Should be nearer £5,000 than £10,000
Thanks very much for this. Yeah hes fitted windows before so that would help. It would just be exactly the same space so that's good to know too.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Got mine done 10 years ago for 5K, that included bricking the front, putting a window in, knocking hole in wall for door from hall, moving radiator and plastering.

As the floor on a garage usually has a slope from the back to the front it would have cost more to have this sorted out, as its barely noticeable I didn't bother.

Had to have planning permission and as already mentioned there are restrictions as to what it can be used for, mine is a play room and we weren't allowed to have it as a bedroom but no one has ever come to check.
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fairysparkled View Post
Is this new extension going to be the same size as the old conservatory? What is the new extension going to be used for? It might be possible to convert the old conservatory into the living space you need.
It’s already a kitchen diner so it’s open to the kitchen. We would need a permanent exterior door between if we wanted to sell but we don’t plan to at the moment. I’d like a proper roof and walls but with large windows as there is no light coming in to the kitchen end. If it were a proper extension I think it would be warmer than it currently is and I could put things in there without worrying about them fading in the sunlight.
Old 27 Jan 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

There are materials on the market you can use to convert a conservatory into a room. Most of your heat loss will be through the roof. Any decent builder should be able to advise you on this. I have been on jobs where this type of job has been done and I would not have known it started off as a conservatory. Google it and save yourself enough for a family trip to Florida.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
It was only an estimate as we don't want to have anyone spend real time on it in case we actually can't afford it! But, the extension will go out further than the conservatory so I would assume it will, he talked about skips and groundworkers! Probably why it will be so expensive. It is definitely dearer than I was expecting, but then we knew that whatever we thought it would cost we need to double it The films Money Pit and Mr Blandings builds his dream house were so so right when buying a renovation project, especially for novices!