Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jan 20, 02:54 AM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile Disney and...?

So we have started debating on a Disneyland CA trip. We figure we can do maybe five nights staying across the road then head elsewhere. We don’t drive. Would Hollywood be a good bet? Take a few nights there and do Universal and other things? We like the look of San Diego but that’s the other way and further out. Apparently you can book the zoo and Safari Park as a day trip from Disney so maybe do that from there.

I’d love to go to San Fran but I’m guessing that’s too far without a car.

Any advice welcome!
writersblock is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile

You could always book an internal flight to San Francisco? From what I've read you wouldn't need a car when you're there
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Jes
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We've booked San Francisco and LA for this year. Flying into San Francisco for 3 nights then Anaheim for 5 nights then LA at Universal for 6 nights and flying back from LA. I would have liked an extra night in SF but because we are going to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights I had to add an extra night onto LA. We have booked an internal flight from SF to Santa Ana as it is closest to Anaheim. We don't plan on driving. I've been looking at the transport in SF and it seems really easy to get around. Still to look into options in LA but I'm sure we'll manage fine without a car. I'd love to do San Diego but saving it for another trip.
2019 - Hard Rock Hotel - HHN 2010 - Hard Rock Hotel & Dolphin 2009 - Hard Rock Hotel - HHN 2007 - Hard Rock Hotel & Dolphin & Westin Times Square, NY 2006 - Buena Vista Palace 1998 - Hyatt Orlando/Caribbean Cruise on Grand Princess
Jes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We aren’t hiring a car for our trip this year.

We fly in LAX and head to Anaheim in a hotel near Disneyland.

We then head up to LA for a couple of nights and then we get a flight from LAX to SFO for the rest of the trip.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

A flight from LAX to SFO should be sub £100 by a fair bit. On arrival in SFO, you can catch the BART in to the city and from then on you will not need a car. You could then fly home from SFO.

SFO is an awesome city with absolutely loads to do. The main tourist areas are nicely compact. I am not a fan of LA.

Might be worth having a look at
1. The trip report linked from my signature.
2. My Pretrip report that covers several other, rather more unusual things that we are doing this Easter. It is around the 6th one from the top.. things missed etc...
It covers...
Accommodation
Love tour in a VW Bus.
Ghost hunting tour
Sutra baths and Golden gate park cycle.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:16 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

As far as I know you ca also get a train from LA to SF. we are driving this year but we had considered the Amtrak too. We have Amtraked in DC and it was brilliant. So clean and very efficient and relaxing. I find flying more stressful and lengthy by time you get to airport and check in, go through security etc.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

How long in total are you looking to be on the West Coast.

You can get a train from LA to San Diego to save the need for a car. San Francisco would make more sense to fly. You could for example do Disney, then Uber up to LA for Hollywood, Universal, Warner Bros etc and then either train to San Diego or fly from Burbank to San Fran.

Flying home from San Fran would make sense if taking that route, San Diego can be expensive direct as it is limited supply (BA are the only provider I believe).

San Francisco would be my choice if you don't have a car, although if you do plan to return one day and do Yosemite and Pacific Coast Highway, maybe save that for then and do San Diego. San Diego can be done without a car as well, you will be able to use the likes of Uber for some of the less central things to see. But they do have tram services etc to get to the old town and gas lamp district.

Both are fantastic cities so you wont be making a lesser choice either way.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
As far as I know you ca also get a train from LA to SF. we are driving this year but we had considered the Amtrak too. We have Amtraked in DC and it was brilliant. So clean and very efficient and relaxing. I find flying more stressful and lengthy by time you get to airport and check in, go through security etc.
I too am a fan of AMTRAC and have used it a few times on the East Coast. Both Boston to NY and NY to Washington DC are 4 hour journeys and therefore it could be argued that the train is quicker than the plane by the time you have got to the airport, checked in, gone through security, taxied, flown, taxied, got to reclaim, reclaimed baggage, transited to City Centre.

The problem with Los Angeles to San Francisco by train/coach is that it takes 12-13 hours.

I would agree with 400IXL that San Diego would make a better AMTRAC option, being far nearer. It is a beautiful city, compact and with plenty to do.
I appreciate, though that you expressed an interest in SFO.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:55 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

We did San Francisco and LA a couple of years ago, all booked DIY.

Flights were with United - the advantage of this is that United has a major hub at SFO, so from what I recall it was almost the same cost to fly home-SFO, SFO-LAX, LAX-SFO-home as it was to fly home-SFO, SFO-home, or home-SFO-LAX then LAX-SFO-home. So effectively tagging on the LA portion didn't cost me any extra.

Otherwise there are also cheap flights you can get between SFO and LAX/SNA such as on Southwest.

I refuse to drive in the USA (wrong side of the road). San Francisco was a great place to visit without a car, as most of the city centre is very walkable, the public transport is fairly decent, and Ubers/Lyfts are plentiful and easy to get. For Disneyland, staying in the vicinity of Disneyland helped as it meant we could just walk to Disneyland. When going further afield we depended on Lyft/Uber. Also booked a day tour to see a bit of the LA sights.
Old 27 Jan 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

How about Las Vegas? You could get back to LAX and catch an internal flight to Las Vegas, from memory, it took just over an hour. Or Anaheim to Las Vegas. I think San Fran is a good suggestion too.

I personally think that San Fran and Las Vegas are easier to navigate than Hollywood/more central LA without a car. I do like LA but it's much easier with a car as it's very spread out.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List