Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > General Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.
Unread 2 Dec 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Trying for More Ears

I, too, was surprised with people saying they were tipping in an all inclusive hotel, it had never even occurred to me that it was the done thing. I saw a thread in which one person said they tip around $250 in 2 weeks, which is a substantial amount added on to your AI package! That said, I imagine a few dollars here and there can make a huge difference to the life of lowly paid staff.
Unread 3 Dec 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Fab Florida 4
Helping Donald

If we`ve had good service, or the same waiter/ barman has served us for a few days and they`re been really good, then we leave a tip. We don`t leave a set amount, just how we feel about the person concerned. I think it`s nice to say thanks if someone`s been really pleasant and helpful. We wait til the end of the holiday to leave a tip for housekeeping, as I don`t want anyone to expect something every day.
Fab Florida 4 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We are off to Mexico soon. I had read a lot about tipping at our hotel so emailed the manager to ask. He said it wasnt expected but the staff would appreciate it. Reviews clearly said you get better service if you do. We always tip at AIs in Europe but not a lot, 1 per person per day for housekeeping and 1 a round if service at the bar tables is quick. We have noticed that people who tip get served quickly.

We found this guide to tipping when we were looking around.

gettingstamped/tipping-in-mexico-guide/
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Mexico for Christmas
Unread 3 Dec 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I haven't been AI for a couple years and we usually go to the Canaries not further afield, we tip the bar staff a couple of Euros each night.
We went to Tunisia in 2010 and tipped there and received outstanding service! but I am aware that it was a hard time for the tourist business there and many Tunisians had been out of work in the service area.

Personally I would tip a little but would definitely not tip someone who came knocking on the door asking for a tip ...Yes You Fuerteventura hotel maid !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

I've only been AI once but we didn't tip. I guess I might if I asked for something special or one of the staff went out of their way
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Unread 3 Dec 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
Trying for More Ears

Just back from 4 nights/ 5 days in an all inclusive hotel in Cyprus. Staff were incredibly attentive and service was faultless. I put 10euros in the tip box in both the restaurant and bar at the end of the stay
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by paw View Post
We are off to Mexico soon. I had read a lot about tipping at our hotel so emailed the manager to ask. He said it wasnt expected but the staff would appreciate it. Reviews clearly said you get better service if you do. We always tip at AIs in Europe but not a lot, 1 per person per day for housekeeping and 1 a round if service at the bar tables is quick. We have noticed that people who tip get served quickly.

We found this guide to tipping when we were looking around.

gettingstamped/tipping-in-mexico-guide/
So you have to bribe staff to get them to do the job they are paid to do- give good service?
Unread 3 Dec 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hmr89 View Post
Just back from 4 nights/ 5 days in an all inclusive hotel in Cyprus. Staff were incredibly attentive and service was faultless. I put 10euros in the tip box in both the restaurant and bar at the end of the stay
We are off to Paphos AI tomorrow , can't wait for a bit of sun.