Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Jun 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Would you recommend Amsterdam?

We are thinking of booking a couple of nights in Amsterdam soon, and were just wondering what people thought of it.

It sounds daft, but apart from Florida, we aren’t very well travelled and wanted somewhere not too far away, that we can fly from our local airport and isn’t too big or overwhelming.

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

I've never been, but my daughter, who suffers from anxiety is just a few weeks back from a trip there with her boyfriend. It was her first time abroad without us (her parents). The first thing she told me when she got home was that she had fallen in love with Amsterdam. She said it was beautiful, easy to get around, loads to do. They rented a little Air BnB flat 20 minutes by train to the centre of Amsterdam, and explored by train to other nearby towns as well. I can't remember all of the things they did, but I know there was an Ice Bar (not worth it, she said), Anne Frank House (great) and a trip on the river (also great).

I know it's not first hand experience, but I hope it helps a little. My DD gets really anxious on any trip away, so if it's a place she felt relaxed and happy in then I'm pretty sure that it's a place most people would feel comfortable in.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My view is that its a lovely place away from the red light area and Dam Square/train station area but can be a bit dodgy at night! Sort of place (like lots of others)that would-be nice to live in if you have a few bob!
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I went nearly 30 years ago, impromptu trip with my university buddies- what a trip that was, the vague memories I have of it...
Old 10 Jun 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

We did a day trip recently - I guess it really depends on what you want to do - I liked the art gallery we visited, the architecture, it was easy to get round on public transport. There are other European cities I prefer but I'm glad I went and I may go again, it's fairly inexpensive for a Euro capital.

I prefer Paris, Grenada, Barcelona, Edinburgh or Rome myself.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Mobile

Ds and I went to Amsterdam in 2017, well we stayed at center parcs in Zandvoort.
He was 8 at the time and we got the train to Amsterdam each day, we loved it!
We went on two boat tours, one in the day time and one at night.
He dod ask me to buy him a lovely green lollypop which I said no to, but we didn’t see anything I would have worried about, and we felt so safe, even at night.
We had a day trip to Rotterdam which has the best zoo I’ve ever been to, and id love to go back!
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes I think it's a nice easy place to visit, very easy to get round and quick to get to/from the airport.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It was a few years ago now but I went with two friends for a weekend and really enjoyed it. Lots to see and felt very safe (other than not being tram aware at first, so had to quickly improve my road safety!)
We went to Anne Frank House which was very interesting.
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Amsterdam is a great place with some excellent museums, Anne Frank house, boat tours and restaurants. However it wouldn't be top of my short break destinations...I'd put Krakow, Paris, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla, Rome and a few others ahead of it
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

We are going in August , 4 nights then 4 nights at nearby CParcs. have an apartment about 20 mins away by tram. Can't wait x